AIDS Memorial Quilt | AIDS/HIV | News

BigGayDeal.com

Imagine if the AIDS Memorial Quilt Were Online and Browsable — It Might Be, and You Can Help: VIDEO

Quilt

From July 21-25, 2012, the 48,000 panels and more than 91,000 names that make up the AIDS Memorial Quilt will be laid out in its entirety on the National Mall in Washington DC for the first time since 1996.

BalsamoIt's the largest living memorial of its kind in the world.

Anne Balsamo at the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is hoping to build a mobile web app so that people can browse the quilt in its entirety, anywhere in the world. The quilt's display in July offers a unique opportunity to assemble the app, and Balsamo is looking for funding on Kickstarter to do that.

She has the blessing of the Names Project Foundation and has already started working on the development of the app.

This looks like an amazing project.

Check out the Kickstarter trailer and donate if you feel inspired, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you've never seen the devastating quilt in person, perhaps think of planning a trip in July.

Comments

1. There's no link to the kickstarter fundraising page.

Posted by: Ryan | May 29, 2012 8:56:27 AM

2. I was fortunate enough to see the Quilt on the DC Mall as part of a march on Washington.

It remains one of the most moving experiences of my life.

This would be a wonderful development.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | May 29, 2012 9:20:23 AM

3. My late uncle has two panels (one submitted by friends on each coast! in the early 90's) and I've never seen them...would love to.

Posted by: QJ201 | May 29, 2012 9:38:05 AM

4. the candle light ceremony at the quilt in 1992

Posted by: Kile Ozier | May 29, 2012 10:20:59 AM

5. I flew out from Los Angeles with a friend back in October 1996 and for two-days we walked through the rows and rows and rows and rows of panels. Witnessed some scenes so emotional that we had to take constant breaks and sit on the sidelines to get composed. Mothers showing their children their father's panel, partners looking down upon their significant other's panel.

I will be there again, and hopefully with many others, this time from NYC. It is a site to witness. It is an experience that you will never forget.

Posted by: Craig | May 29, 2012 9:35:08 PM

6. Thank you for posting this. One of my regrets in life is never having been able to see the quilt in '96. I most certainly wanted to, but I didn't even have my first job, yet! Now that I'm 35 and not 18, as well as HIV+, this is an opportunity well worth actualizing.

Posted by: La Garza | May 30, 2012 2:20:43 AM