Allen West | Discrimination | Florida

Allen West Explains That Workplace Discrimination Doesn't Exist: VIDEO

WestTP
Gay people seem to make Allen West uncomfortable.

The freshman legislator from Florida's 22nd congressional district was approached in Washington on Thursday by Think Progress, and asked whether he might support legislation that would make it "illegal to hire or fire people because they're gay."

His response:

That don't happen out here in the United States of America.

Asked to clarify, he said:

Well, I don’t see that as being a big issue with small businesses. I sit on the Small Business Committee. You know what they’re concerned about? They’re concerned about onerous tax policy, regulatory policy, and lack of access to capital because Dodd-Frank is absolutely decimating small community banks.

... which doesn't clarify anything. Those small businesses inclined to fire a person based upon sexual orientation wouldn't be concerned with legislation curtailing that behavior, would they?

West always does this. When faced with a question of LGBT rights, he pretends that the question means something it doesn't, or imagines that the subject under discussion is something it isn't. When DADT was debated last year, he pretended its repeal would legalize sex in military barracks. Last August, he told Fort Lauderdale's Sun Sentinel that "sexuality is a behavior," and therefore mutable -- and when asked if gays should therefore change their sexuality, he said this:

You know, I like chocolate chip ice cream. And I will continue to like chocolate chip ice cream. So, there's no worry about me changing to vanilla. I like to, you know, ride my motorcycle. What do you want me to do, change my behavior and ride a scooter?

Watch West's brief conversation with Think Progress AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. It says something about the whole Republican sociopathic mindset when he is more concerned with the employers than the employees. But of course he is a particularly vile example of this

Posted by: Steve | May 13, 2012 11:04:45 AM

2. I'm sorry...what was the question again?

Posted by: Paul B. | May 13, 2012 11:10:32 AM

3. I am glad he has the time to visit each job to ensure there is no discrimination. Face it, that is the only way he could honestly make that point.

Is this guy for real? What universe does he live on?

Posted by: Macmantoo | May 13, 2012 11:17:01 AM

4. I wonder how he would take it if he were fired from his job because he eats chocolate chip ice cream and rides a motorcycle?

Posted by: trees | May 13, 2012 11:23:39 AM

5. That's so interesting, so the time I was hired and then un-hired after it was found I was gay never happened?

Posted by: homer | May 13, 2012 11:40:32 AM

6. Well, the guy does not seem to be very intelligent to me. I would discriminate against him on the grounds of stupidity.

Posted by: Joel | May 13, 2012 11:43:38 AM

7. What they say:

Ahmadinejad: In Iran, we have no homosexuals.

West: In America, we have no homosexual discrimination.

What they mean:

Ahmadinejad: That's because we kill all the ones we can find.

West: That's because I never hire those faggots.

Posted by: Joseph L. | May 13, 2012 11:49:28 AM

8. Well, in a manner of speaking he is correct. He was referring to small businesses and most small businesses are not covered by the sort of nondiscrimination laws people think are universal.

If I own a small business with fewer than 15 employees, I can discriminate for whatever reason I choose, or none at all. I can be completely arbitrary. ENDA is not going to change that.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 13, 2012 11:49:37 AM

9. Trying to reason with Allen West is like trying to talk to a piece of furniture. He is a terrible person and it is a sham that he is an elected official.

Posted by: paul | May 13, 2012 11:51:31 AM

10. Romney's running mate...now that would be a dream team.

Posted by: VDUFFORD | May 13, 2012 11:59:58 AM

11. Personally, I think Allen West has serious intellectual and basic cognitive deficiencies. This man was a commissioned officer in the US Army and moved through the ranks. He is now a duly elected US Congressman and just may continue to serve as such. So, although I think he has serious problems, I think our nation and its people have an even greater problem; we promote these people and put them in positions of power and influence. So, no matter what is said about West, the real problem is greater than we want to admit.

Posted by: Bob R | May 13, 2012 12:03:18 PM

12. I swear, people who ignore reality and use specious arguments like that should be beaten with sticks. Better yet, inject them with Sodium Pentathal and make them say what they really think when they're not deliberately lying.

Posted by: Caliban | May 13, 2012 12:03:20 PM

13. This man is a blithering idiot.

Romney's ideal running mate would be of course Dharun Ravi

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 13, 2012 12:05:52 PM

14. Obviously it happens. I was on a bartending interview and the older woman was 100% into me until she discovered I had worked at a gay bar. She didn't even try to hide the look of disgust that washed over her face.

Btw, how do a man who don't have a basic grasp of grammar become an elected official?

Posted by: Michael | May 13, 2012 12:37:27 PM

15. I really do wonder how the hell this retard got elected to public office. How would vote for such a fool?

Posted by: fester60613 | May 13, 2012 12:57:00 PM

16. that dude has a piece missing.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 13, 2012 2:00:17 PM

17. This man is "Educated beyond his intelligence."

Posted by: Alex Parrish | May 13, 2012 2:10:38 PM

18. What Ehrenstein said.

Posted by: sparks | May 13, 2012 2:47:45 PM

19. it's like that Ayn Rand bullsh*t. Oh yeah, an employer should be protected from having to, you know, respect the rights and fairness of treatment for his employees.

heaven forbid someone stop the man at the top from mistreating the men at the bottom responsible for his money.

barf.

there's a special place in self-hating Hell for black republicans, jewish republicans, gay republicans, and republican women. the funny thing: they're all republicans because they hate each other. hilare.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 13, 2012 2:56:22 PM

20. My friend's aunt earned $16991 past month. she is making money on the computer and
    moved in a $584700 condo. All she did was get fortunate and put in action the directions
    laid out on this web site.... is(dot)gd/6kJUeB

Posted by: joanna | May 13, 2012 3:32:36 PM

21. I truly hope his constituents realize what a real idiot this man is this time around.. he does NOT deserve to be re-elected..

Posted by: Deryk | May 13, 2012 5:29:44 PM

22. Gayfolk are fierce.

Miss West is nastyfolk.

Posted by: Tamika | May 13, 2012 8:13:54 PM

23. Um,,, Fresh Prince called, he wants his haircut back.

Posted by: TooBoot | May 13, 2012 9:17:09 PM

24. Keep in mind that Allen West is the guy who claimed that when he was in the military that he had a higher security clearence than the POTUS. To put it charitably he doesn't have 52 cards in his deck.

Posted by: andrew | May 13, 2012 9:53:13 PM

25. Kiwi - 'Oh yeah, an employer should be protected from having to, you know, respect the rights and fairness of treatment for his employees.'

It's fairly simple, Kiwi. In the United States we are supposed to have private property rights as well as the civil right of freedom of association. If you open Kiwi's Kafay (as you probably would) then you should be able to serve or refuse to serve anyone you please, for whatever reason you please. But our legislature and courts have seen fit to walk all over your private property rights. However, as Kiwi's Kafay (as you probably would) has fewer than 15 employees, even our legislature and courts respect that such an intimate association must necessarily be freely chosen.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 14, 2012 1:28:19 PM