Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

Amendment One Passes in North Carolina

Ap

North Carolina has voted to constitutionally prohibit any domestic union other than a marriage between a man and a woman, the AP reports.

NCIn doing so, voters have also banned civil unions and stripped same-sex couples of domestic partnership benefits. Voters have eliminated health care, prescription drug coverage and other benefits for public employees and children receiving domestic partner benefits. They have threatened protections for all unmarried couples in North Carolina.

ABC News:

With a little over 43 percent of precincts reporting, support for the amendment was strong- with about 61 percent of North Carolina voters casting their ballots in favor of the amendment, and roughly 39 percent voting against it.

North Carolina is now the 30th state with a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

Results are still coming in as of this posting, but it's not even close.

Comments

1. What century is it in North Carolina again?

Posted by: Jay | May 8, 2012 9:49:06 PM

2. Like Prop 8 and every other "marriage" amendment-unconstitutional, equal protection, church/state separation. I have hope it will be overturned

Posted by: Molc | May 8, 2012 9:49:44 PM

3. I'm wondering if this results in much loss of expertise in the Research Triangle area. With loss of benefits from this thing, if I were a high powered thinker who happened to be gay, I'd get the Hell out of Dodge, and let them know why.

Posted by: Jonathan Oz | May 8, 2012 9:50:45 PM

4. Twitter and Facebook networkers....click on the link below and post this picture on your page(s) to show your disgust... while no explanation is needed here, let your friends and followers understand the reasoning and let the bigoted North Carolinians know what you think of their state....

Posted by: CB | May 8, 2012 9:51:48 PM

5. No, it won't, Beahbeah, it won't if we fight. In Washington state and Maine, those are two huge opportunities for us. We're probably going to lose in Minnesota and Maryland, though. Things have changed from when most of these amendments were passed. But it will be an uphill battle. We have to use this as motivation and fight harder than we've ever fought, but also, we have the legal system in our advantage and ultimately that's where full equality will come.

North Carolina, we were never going to win. We did great in Chapel Hill, Durham, Wake, we won Charlotte, winning Asheville, but that's about it. So basically, the more progressive, urban, college-educated cities voted against it, but the fact of the matter is most of North Carolina is rural and socially conservative and they have been brainwashed into homophobia and they flexed their muscles today basically to slap liberals in the face. So the huge YES number is no surprise. I read on twitter A LOT of old people were out at the polls.

The social conservatives in NC got what they wanted. They wanted to prove their state is still "traditional values", not liberal, traditionally Southern, and that the young college kids were stupid and out-of-touch. Now, the social conservatives in the country have momentum and wind at their sails. The fact half of the voters didn't even know what was being voted on is unacceptable. This crap needs to end TODAY.

Posted by: Francis | May 8, 2012 9:52:27 PM

6. And Jesus wept...

Posted by: TJ | May 8, 2012 9:52:40 PM

7. Leta force bank of America to move their corporate headquarters out of north Carolina. A gay friendly bank has no business operating in this bigoted state

Posted by: Jimmy | May 8, 2012 9:53:23 PM

8. MARY, however, probably just had an orgasm.

Posted by: TJ | May 8, 2012 9:53:23 PM

9. It's really about education. Most of the counties that voted against the amendment have a large college educated population.
    Public Policy Polling from last week showed that 55% will vote Yes for the Amendment, 39% for No, and the rest with not sure. The result is now at 61% to 39%.

What we can take from this polling number is that people who answered 'not sure' to the pollsters are simply bigots who do not want to appear homophobic, but will reliably vote for same-sex marriage ban. If we ever want to hope for a win, the polling number before the voting day has to be at least 60% to 40% in our favor.

Posted by: Ville | May 8, 2012 9:56:31 PM

10. Hmmm, so does this mean that the people who lied to the pollsters KNOW they're being bigots, but just don't care?

Voting on civil rights... my mind cannot wrap itself around that.

Posted by: Tanoka | May 8, 2012 9:56:34 PM

11. Well, what can you say except F U too.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 8, 2012 9:57:11 PM

12. I agree PJ. I would never expect a state like NC to accept gays. People that moan a btch about all these backwards states not acceptiong gays....then don't live there and don't visit there. Exactly why I moved from Texas. Quit moaning and groaning and MOVE.

Posted by: Reppin2 | May 8, 2012 9:59:26 PM

13. Fortunately I can afford to discriminate back. I have just told Morgan Stanley to liquidate my state and muni bonds in N.C. as well as sell fof my BofA positions...and a few others. This means a loss of approximately 2.2 million dollars I have just pulled out of N.C..

This is the first of many states I will be removing my money from.

Thank you, N.C., you have made it really easy for me.

Posted by: Mic | May 8, 2012 10:05:04 PM

14. This will be interesting when it starts to affect straight people who have a civil union or domestic partnership. This may be headed to the courts on behalf of straight couples! Does this mean unless you are married in a church, straight couples who had/have a civil ceremony will get the same treatment as gay people (ie hospital visits, property issues, being able to make medical decisions on behalf of a partner, etc)?

Posted by: PJ | May 8, 2012 10:10:53 PM

15. Companies to sever ties with include:

Bank of America
    Lowe's (you should have done so long ago anyway)
    Wachcovia
    Mitchell-Gold (gay-owned, but so what - they're just enablers)

Posted by: ByTheBay | May 8, 2012 10:16:48 PM

16. What about the Democrat National Convention being held in North Carolina? You know how many votes "None of the Above" is garnering on the Democrat Presidential Primary in North Carolina? About a quarter million. It's not a swing state, it's SWUNG.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 8, 2012 10:18:52 PM

17. The outcome is awful, but having lived in NC, I encountered about 95 gazillion churches. People tend to forget we are governed by civil law, they let themselves be governed by fear. Remember too, mega hot mess Jesse Helms was the choice as one of their Senators for about 30 years.

Posted by: jrocket | May 8, 2012 10:19:26 PM

18. Crap like this makes me so glad I live in the Northeast. But I really feel for our brothers and sisters in the vast homophobic swaths of the country. Especially the kids who have no choice but to ride it out, waiting until they are old enough to escape.

This outcome was pretty much forgone. But I'm still finding it hard not to feel depressed. Who do these f*ckers think they are, putting a civil rights issue to a popular vote??

Posted by: Rick | May 8, 2012 10:19:32 PM

19. This was much more than about marry equality. They stripped gay couple of all rights, many children rights, and women exposed of domestic violence. Shame on them.

I'm nervous for your behalf, in terms of the 4 states that maybe get marry equality. I really hope that all four wins, but doubt it. Civil rights should never be voted on -History shows that they when people get to vote on other people rights we always lose. US needs to catch up.

If Obama should have a chance to be reelected, I think he has to wait to openly say that he supports marry equality. Because there is still so much hatred against gay people. NC show that today and it is still uncertain if colorado will get civil unions( with just 27 rights,far,away from what heterosexual marry couple get)

Shame on people who do not support equal rights for all people under the law. It also sends wrong signals to young LGBT(and older) people that we are all equal. It's no wonder that so many LGBT people have taken their own lives. When this is the message we send them.

Posted by: NN | May 8, 2012 10:20:26 PM

20. The battle for marriage equality has only one destination; SCOTUS. I knew NC would ban it, but I'm disappointed at the 61/39 ratio. I though NC was smarter than that, I thought they were making progress, but I see I gave it too much credit.

Posted by: Matt | May 8, 2012 10:20:29 PM

21. To all those thinking of a boycott...don't do it silently. Let officials in NC know that this backwards vote means something. If you plan on vacationing elsewhere, a friendly note to the NC Visitors Bureau explaining why you, your friends and family members choose not to visit their state (and roughly how many dollars you used spend in their state). Same with people like MIC who have investments there, let BofA or better yet, the state must have some Economic Development office, let them know why you will not be investing in hate. It's all fine to say I will boycott, but let them know loudly.

Posted by: PJ | May 8, 2012 10:21:39 PM

22. Right. Every state where this has come up has voted it into their constitution.

And people want Obama to come out as pro marriage?

I guess it would be the noble thing to do, but it is a losing issue. We need to do more as a community to educate people.

To that end, what CAN, what SHOULD we do to change peoples points of view?

Posted by: dms | May 8, 2012 10:22:31 PM

23. Believe it or not, but I but I see this as another nail in the coffin of the bigots. This amendment is so extreme and sweeping, they went too far. This one will be on a sleigh ride to the supreme court starting tomorrow.

Posted by: AJ | May 8, 2012 10:25:00 PM

24. As a life-long North Carolinian I feel like I've been kicked in the gut today, but reading these comments doesn't really help. Those of you making vacation plans and investment decisions and looking down your noses at southerners and religious people and the uneducated might really want to win a referendum somewhere so you have a beach to go to. The challenge we have is bigger than your regional snobbery is letting you see. Good luck keeping a Democratic president that might give us a supreme court that could solve this problem if you can't win Virginia and North Carolina.

Posted by: Patrick | May 8, 2012 10:25:05 PM

25. @Matt which is all the more reason to get Obama back in....possibly 3 positions will be coming up on SCOTUS, don't let Romney and the religious right pack the court with judges who still think we are living 1950.

Posted by: PJ | May 8, 2012 10:25:34 PM