Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

Amendment One Passes in North Carolina

Ap

North Carolina has voted to constitutionally prohibit any domestic union other than a marriage between a man and a woman, the AP reports.

NCIn doing so, voters have also banned civil unions and stripped same-sex couples of domestic partnership benefits. Voters have eliminated health care, prescription drug coverage and other benefits for public employees and children receiving domestic partner benefits. They have threatened protections for all unmarried couples in North Carolina.

ABC News:

With a little over 43 percent of precincts reporting, support for the amendment was strong- with about 61 percent of North Carolina voters casting their ballots in favor of the amendment, and roughly 39 percent voting against it.

North Carolina is now the 30th state with a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

Results are still coming in as of this posting, but it's not even close.

Comments

1. I don't know when some people will get a clue. The SOUTH is the SOUTH. Unless you are white, male, heterosexual and Christian, you're not welcome there, and it doesn't matter if you were born there or not. These people are stone cold bigots, and will never accept us. Period. Educating them will not work. The best thing to do, IMO, is to leave them to their bigotry and get OUT. Laws like this become far, far worse, or has anyone learned the lesson of the Holocaust? I don't need to boycott-I learned very early that the only way to deal with the South is never to step foot in it. NEVER.

Posted by: Doc Marten | May 8, 2012 11:51:18 PM

2. @Doc: Take it down a notch Francis!

Posted by: PJ | May 9, 2012 12:02:24 AM

3. Actually, Doc, rural America is rural America. (Someone from Portwenn should have known that?) This is just going to take time. The stupid old bigots have to die off, and their children and grandchildren have to come to their senses. Just thank G-d Obama ended Don't Ask Don't Tell. (yes, I write it out, lest we forget) From the official desegregation of the military in 1948, it took over a decade for Jim Crow laws to start falling in the south. And that sure as hell didn't happen by referendum.

New Orleans isn't too awful is it?

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 12:04:03 AM

4. Um, yeah, what ST.THERESA said. I live in CA, in a college town surrounded by rural area. It ain't all SF and LA. Rural is rural, and ignorant.

Posted by: TJ | May 9, 2012 12:26:06 AM

5. NC, while the chances of me spending money in your state were always low, they are now zero.

It's tiresome, but I do keep track of companies who are headquartered or manufacture in hate states, and I do not knowingly do business with them, if there's a competitor I can support.

Posted by: Randy | May 9, 2012 12:27:14 AM

6. I am sure if you put the Emancipation up for a vote you could probably get in repealed in several southern states and likely have church leaders speak out in favor of doing just that. Civil rights should never be up for referendums. Hopefully todays vote can be met with a successful court challenge but given the make up of your courts I have my doubts.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 9, 2012 12:49:07 AM

7. Hey, North Carolinans, especially those of you in the "tech triangle"! Come on out to Oregon, specifically Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro--we've got a bunch of high-tech companies looking to hire qualified people, and my partner and I could use more cool gay friends. Yes, we only have Civil Unions right now--but as go California and Washington, so (eventually) will go us.

Posted by: Dback | May 9, 2012 12:53:10 AM

8. The big story here to me isn't the marriage issue. The new amendment abolishes enforcement of other marriage-like and civil-union-like legal arrangements between unmarried adults. The NC ACLU commissioned a legal analysis that raised major legal issues for non-married couples. One issue is that the amendment can be interpreted as invalidating legal arrangements such as medical powers of attorney.

So if one's partner works in the furniture, media, or design industries and has a medical emergency, while attending the Furniture Mart near Greensboro, the partner could loose all legal rights to make decisions for her loved one.

Posted by: Ginbuck (@Ginbuck1) | May 9, 2012 12:56:28 AM

9. I was reading the previous stories from earlier this week about NC and a lot of people were bashing the polls as being inaccurate and not giving a clear picture of how NC was going to vote. Guess what? The polls were completely accurate. As they usually are. Sure, once in a blue moon the average of the polls might be off but that SHOULD happen because statistically polls will be wrong every once in awhile. So there, my two cents on how polls are great and you should place most of your trust in the average of them. I'm done now.

Posted by: KD | May 9, 2012 1:05:35 AM

10. We all saw this coming. but I have to wonder: is tehre anything we can really do?"

If people choose to live their life prejudiced and pick what to believe in the bible; how can we stop them? We can't.

No amount of protesting or arguing can stop that. I always thought that the only way to break prejudice is by confronting people with it by being a part of their lives and proving them wrong.

Part of me hates the literal belief of parts of the Bible, while other parts of it are blatantly ignored.

Hypocrisy, delusion, cognitive dissonance: you're name is America.

Posted by: Alexx | May 9, 2012 1:16:39 AM

11. To all previous comments:

1) Romney is not Santorum.

2) Boycotting NC won't solve anything.

3) This amendment will be torn to shreds on federal courts.

Posted by: zamo88 | May 9, 2012 1:57:55 AM

12. To that end, what CAN, what SHOULD we do to change peoples points of view?

Posted by: dms | May 8, 2012 10:22:31 PM

There is no chance at all.

Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Your mistake is assuming that such a basic and obvious truth is susceptible of reversal by any conjuring whatever.

It isn't.

This will mushroom now- the "historical inevitability" meme died in North Csrolina tonight, and any remaining doubts will be put to rest in Minnesota.

A terrible strategic error on the part of the SSA movement- targeting marriage.

Posted by: proprop8 | May 9, 2012 2:00:18 AM

13. @Zamo88 "Romney is not Santorum"...No, but he isn't far off when it comes to gay people. He is playing the tune the religious right wants to hear. Any doubts, last week's gay advisor debacle. He needs the conservatives more than he needs us, so don't expect him to cozy up to us any time soon. Now or in the future.

Posted by: PJ | May 9, 2012 2:05:28 AM

14. Gosh Proprop, a crazy closet case who's angry enough to come rattle their chains at Towleroad. I can't imagine what it's like to have a life filled with such anger.

I don't want to waste too much time on your idiocy, but this wasn't started by the "SSA" (?) movement, it was put on the ballot by a newly-ascendant Rupub majority in NC to appease the tea party/ultra right wing of their party.

Polls do indicate inevitability of same sex marriage - even a top NC republican admitted it would probably be overturned in 20 years. Old people are mostly opposed to it, and young people are neutral to supportive. Guess what...I've got news for you...old people die.

You'd probably claim to not be racist now, and that might be true, but someone of your mindset would have also voted against desegregation and against mixed marriage...and you would have been wrong, just as you're wrong about this issue. Your type of conservatism (as opposed to Theodore Olson's) is a fear of what becomes progress and then the norm. Conservative southerners of the 60s feared desegregation would literally cause the end of the world. It didn't. Neither will gay marriage.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 2:10:48 AM

15. To clarify, I was talking about this particular ballot initiative being initiated by a new NC Repub majority. Progress towards civil unions has come from legislatures or the courts, just as every other civil rights struggle has advanced.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 2:12:35 AM

16. Obama cynically used this election result to determine his future evolution on the subject of marriage. Now that the amendment has passed convincingly, I can guarantee you that he won't evolve at all. Either that or he'll try to politically exploit the result to get us to vote for him again.

Well, I've got news for the President. I ain't voting for you, son.

Posted by: jason | May 9, 2012 2:14:15 AM

17. Obama failed us absymally. He wanted the amendment to pass so that he could use the result as yet another phony point of division between him and Romney.

The truth is, both Obama and Romney are identical. Under either, you won't get any progress.

Posted by: brian | May 9, 2012 2:18:16 AM

18. @Zamo88 "Romney is not Santorum"...

He's actually more dangerous. At least Rick was honest about his bigotry and misguided faith. Romney is a stealth moderate. Trust me. Everything in his life has been leading up to this moment...in fact, being a moderate seeming Republican government of a Northestern state was probably all part of his (or "their") plan. He will do just as much as Ricky would have done to try to turn the country back to the 19th century.
    I almost wonder if the Rupublicans have played a brilliant game of kabuki theater to make Romney seem unwanted by the far right, thus shading him as a moderate when he isn't. I'm not quite prepared to go that far; but it must be remembered that, with far more soft money behind them than the Democrats (since the rich and big business want pliable leaders) they can afford to hire the best mercenary political operatives to dream these things up.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 2:19:24 AM

19. Uuuhhh oh, Jason/Brian have descended, the troll brigade is late to the party!
    Obama hasn't failed miserably. He hasn't failed at all. He fixed DADT; in some ways we are now where blacks were in 1948...i.e., a long way to go. If you want to tell me Romney would have repealed DADT, I have a bridge to Brooklyn to sell you! He's trying to push a heavy stone up a steep hill...he's being smart about it and using planes, levers, and smaller stones as machines, to keep the stone from rolling over him.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 2:23:51 AM

20. Oops...using the prevailing terminology I should have said Romney was a stealth conservative, not a stealth moderate. He is the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing.

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | May 9, 2012 2:27:03 AM

21. Bank of America's headquaters are in Charlotte, NC. Tomorrow I am going to the B of A branch near my work in California and closing my accounts and credit cards that I have had with them for over 20 years. I am done doing business with anyone based there.

Posted by: BJ | May 9, 2012 2:39:58 AM

22. I recognize SSM, but SSA? Perhaps it's late.

And "targeting marriage" - WTF does that mean? Wanting it? Deserving equality? Trying to destroy an institution (so wrong, but thanks for playing)? Stupid is stronger? What?

Posted by: TJ | May 9, 2012 2:43:19 AM

23. "He will do just as much as Ricky would have done to try to turn the country back to the 19th century."

You mean back when Mormons could have more than one wife at a time?

Posted by: ZAMO88 | May 9, 2012 2:44:25 AM

24. Confirms my view that Obama must be elected at any cost....and he should postpone his support for same sex marriage......

It is all about SCOTUS now; we will win or lose this war in SCOTUS. And if Obama can get even one more appointee or a sublime two, then we can look forward to equality being upheld.
    So swallow all your misgivings and lets get started on a landslide.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 9, 2012 2:45:47 AM

25. Everytime an amendment passes we see comments by gay people who say they will boycott the state. Give it up! Heterosexual-only marriage amendments would pass in at least 49 states if not all 50. Some gay people don't want to think of heterosexuals in a negative light so they say it's a ceraint region or religion that's bad. That way it washes heterosexuals' hands clean. Just face reality, that's all I'm asking. Heterosexuals are behind this, they are on a war against non-heterosexuality.

Posted by: Bill | May 9, 2012 2:50:21 AM