News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Apologetic Manny Pacquiao To Gay People: 'I'm not condemning you'

MannyPThe television show Extra went ahead with their interview with Manny Pacquiao after the boxer said he was against gay marriage.

Though he does not support same-sex nuptials, an article in the National Conservative Examiner made it appear that Pacquiao quoted scripture to justify his politics. This caused massive outrage and ultimately led LA's The Grove, where Extra is taped, to ban Pacquiao. Thus, host Mario Lopez traveled to one of Pacquiao's homes, where the boxer apologized.

"To the gay community, I apologize," Pacquiao told Lopez. "I'm against same-sex marriage, but I'm not condemning you. My favorite verse is 'Love one another as you love yourself. Love your neighbor.' So I love everybody!"

The author of the original article also offers a statement of contrition: "I sincerely apologize for the confusion my column has caused. I certainly do not represent Pacquiao nor his team."

Comments

1. Dear Manny,
    There's nothing to be said.
    We know where you stand.
    Gee, I bet some of your friends are gay.
    Now phuck off.
    JackFknTwist.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 17, 2012 11:52:41 AM

2. Pathetic back-pedaling to save his endorsements. Not buying it. He's a bigot

Posted by: Wisebear | May 17, 2012 11:56:52 AM

3. My favorite part is the "Love one another as you love yourself. Love your neighbor" is not actually a verse in the Bible. A mash-up of three or four different verses, but not an actual verse.

I know he's a celebrity in the Philippines, but, really, why is his opinion that important?

Posted by: james | May 17, 2012 11:59:54 AM

4. Plantation Master: "I don't hate blacks, i LOVE my slaves!"

f**k. off.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 17, 2012 12:00:27 PM

5. Seriously. Who the F cares? No one is required to agree with our lifestyle as gay men. And just because someone says they do not support gay marriage does not mean they are hateful or anti-gay.

For Christ's sake, if the gay community expects to make any headway with Christians and changing their attitudes, then save the *massive outrage*, honey, because that accomplishes NOTHING. The more you hate on them, expect them to return the favor.

We need leaders in the gay community that can get a CLUE beyond whining and playing the victim. We need leaders that can transcend beyond their own self-interests and selfishness and LISTEN and try to PERSUADE. Trash-talking will get you nowhere.

Posted by: Alan | May 17, 2012 12:01:29 PM

6. Sounds liek his sponsors might not be so happy. His turn around is about money. Nothing else.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | May 17, 2012 12:03:08 PM

7. apology not accepted.

Posted by: gaylib | May 17, 2012 12:03:45 PM

8. Alan, it would be wonderful if you could provide he URL to your own webpage or youtube video where you put a face and name to your comments.

You seem to have a very specific idea of the 'gay leaders' our community needs, so why not do the work you want others to do and make a video where you can show us all not only who you are as an openly gay man but the plans of action you have for promoting Equality?

After all, sitting back in hiding and commanding other people to do all the work is rather useless. So let's see that URL of yours where we see you put a face and name to your gay self and your specific, applicable and proactive plans and actions for LGBT Equality.

:D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 17, 2012 12:06:23 PM

9. Why am I still seeing a picture of this ignorant beast? Stop giving him publicity.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 17, 2012 12:08:10 PM

10. @jacques rosas: I suspect you're exactly right. He's calling the wrong attention to himself.

Posted by: james | May 17, 2012 12:09:02 PM

11. LittleKiwi, while I agree with most of what you say and I agree that Alan's ideas aren't very productive; I don't get your obsession with asking people to show their face. What does that have to do with anything? I'm not closeted in any way and I don't have a webpage or a youtube page.

Posted by: Locutus of Board | May 17, 2012 12:11:29 PM

12. Not buying it at all. His own hypocrisy says it all....I'll never support him or his endorsements. I'll NEVER buy products he endorses.....EVER!

Posted by: Casper | May 17, 2012 12:11:32 PM

13. @ALAN, being gay is not a lifestyle to be "agreed" on.. it is who we are, there should be no "opinion" involved.

We "whine and play the victim" because we ARE victimized on a daily basis by bigoted and ignorant fools like Manny. I think, the more that homophobia is stigmatized, the better off we will be. Do you ever hear anyone saying that they love black people but that they don't think they should be able to marry white people? I didn't think so..

And why are we only outraged at Manny? Where is the push to get this unethical reporter fired? He clearly planted that bible verse to juice up his story, which clearly exposes him as just as much as a homophobe as Manny.

Posted by: Lucas | May 17, 2012 12:11:38 PM

14. I agree with Alan in that who the hell cares what some boxer thinks about same-sex marriage? He's not a US citizen, he earns money by fighting, he's not someone I've ever heard of before this. And he got interviewed by the oh so esteemed Mario Lopez. Who cares what he thinks about us or our rights?

Posted by: Paul R | May 17, 2012 12:17:54 PM

15. I don't mean to condemn you, I just don't think you deserve equal rights.

IN MY BOOK, THAT'S CONDEMNATION!

F*** you.

Posted by: Mona | May 17, 2012 12:28:58 PM

16. I find it amazing that he says "I havent read Leviticus yet." Im no bible scholar, but I do know that it is the thrid book of the bible. Hes saying that he strictly lives his life by a book that he hasnt even gotten into the third chapter of? Genius, as always.

Posted by: MrJ | May 17, 2012 12:33:26 PM

17. Alan has an opinion and I have no problem with him expressing his point of view on this blog even though he hasn't posted his name, address, DOB, blood type, personal photo, and a proof of a completed background check.

Posted by: Jason | May 17, 2012 12:41:51 PM

18. @Alan
    Littlekiwi is too stupid to realize he is anonymous also, in that he can't prove he is who he says he is. He is trying to shut you up. He hates free speech. Ignore him. He is a straight conservative troll here to make liberal gays look shrill and irrational. All he does is tear into gay people. That is how you know he hates gay people. He has no respect for gays. That is why he is always so disrespectful.
    Keep aplying your right to free speech; that will drive him nuts. He hates free speech more than anything.
    Also, if he is sincerely a shrill gay person, he is too stupid to understand the relationship between the anonymous ballot and the ability to vote ones conscience on the one hand and the relationship between anonymous posting and the ability to speak one's conscience on the other. Dunce.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 17, 2012 12:44:21 PM

19. @Alan
    Parenthetically, I don't agree with you. I just disagree with Littlekiwi's attack on your right to free speech (anonymous posting) more. I think homphobia needs to be attacked rigourously wherever it is found and I detected no whinning. I have seen direct action by way of protest to Nike, but no whinning.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 17, 2012 12:47:50 PM

20. Dear Pacquiao
    Take your bible and shove it were the sun doesnt shine, and GO PHUCK yourself. Philippino little prick. Let him lose all his endorsements he can get his bible to support his crap of beating there meat

Posted by: Xzavier | May 17, 2012 12:56:15 PM

21. I love you, but you can't come into my home... or marry one of my kids... or drink from this fountain, but you can use the one in the back :)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 17, 2012 12:56:32 PM

22. @Alan, your arguments might be more convincing if you didn't use the vocabulary of the homophobes to make them. Indeed, who does care if he doesn't "agree with our lifestyle," whatever that is supposed to mean? Big deal.

He opposes our civil rights. And he is a spokesperson for Nike. It's not at all playing the victim to suggest to Nike that they reconsider bankrolling an opponent to basic civil rights. Playing the victim would be staying silent while corporations continue funding those who believe we are undeserving of essential freedoms.

Whether or not this particular foreigner ever decides to be on the right side of history isn't important. He'll be a footnote, particularly if corporations decide not to reward his bigotry. No doubt he is sorry about the prospect of having his lifestyle impacted when his cushy sponsorships dry up.

Posted by: Ernie | May 17, 2012 1:01:09 PM

23. Guess what, you human meat grinder?
    Yes you are condemning us. Being against same-sex marriage, you're condemning us to deportations, selling our house to pay for elder care, banning from hospital visitations, messing up our inheritance, messing up our adoption rights. I really liked you before and was in your corner, and now I really hope you lose your endorsements and get your ass kicked.

Posted by: Samuel Adams | May 17, 2012 1:02:42 PM

24. He should be mocked. Dislike of a person is one thing, advocating denial of rights is quite another.

This guy has a large platform to express his views- thus the article that has caused the firestorm. He's rightfully being called on his ignorance, not because Gay people are 'sensitive' but because he is wrong.

Posted by: petensfo | May 17, 2012 1:02:56 PM

25. The sad thing is, the media and his fans will accept the apology and move on. The only people who will remember will be us and we will be accused of being whiny or petty if we bring it up. People don't seem to realize that having an issue with same sex marriage means you have an issue with LGBT people.

Posted by: KT | May 17, 2012 1:11:20 PM