Advertising | News

BigGayDeal.com

Be One: GAP's New Gay Ad

Gap

Towleroad Twitter follower Chris Votaw tweeted this sweet ad to us yesterday, on a building near his home in L.A.. It's part of the company's new "Be Bright" campaign.

Thanks, GAP!

Not following us on Twitter @ TLRD yet? We appreciate it when you share and RT our content.

Comments

1. I'd poke that power bottom twink on the left.

Posted by: Pete | May 4, 2012 1:07:13 PM

2. Yes, publicly being anti-gay in san Francisco will make you a social pariah. However, the Fisher family that owns the Gap (Just look at the stock grants people) has a long history of supporting anti-gay republicans. Yes, even Coors advertises in Gap mags. But the Coors family they are not our friends. Same rules apply here.

Posted by: Brain McDowny | May 4, 2012 1:13:13 PM

3. Is this the same company that's renting out its headquarters in San Francisco to the antigay teabagger Paul Ryan, the same company owned by a family active in Republican politics? They'll take our faggy pink money, but they'll use it against us.

Posted by: Christopher Koehler | May 4, 2012 2:10:16 PM

4. The problem with this is that famous gay men or women don't seem to be very schooled on gay politics. Why didn't Rory O'Malley know this?

Posted by: Rowan | May 4, 2012 2:23:09 PM

5. >>Big deal. They priced me outta their jeans.<<

And I ate myself out of 'em.

Posted by: Bob | May 4, 2012 4:42:15 PM

6. @Rowan: I think it's pushing things to imply Rory O'Malley is "famous." I also doubt that the vast majority of the LGBT community are "very schooled on gay politics." As out gay men/an out couple, Rory and his BF have a more difficult professional career path due to homorphobia than their straight peers so any paying job that also celebrates and/or promotes them is a good thing. Have you noticed that most, if not all, of the male leads on "Smash" are played by straight actors -Cause there aren't any terrific out actors on B'way/in NYC theatre, right?!? Wesley Taylor is reduced to playing a chorus boy in a snippet of a role. Good for Rory! Perhaps you should be asking the question: "Why isn't Towleroad featuring Rory and his BF in a nice PR piece and great non-Gap photo?!?" Last I heard Kellan Lutz isn't out...nor is Tony Ward, for that matter. Support our own! Best, JeffR

Posted by: JeffR | May 4, 2012 7:49:35 PM

7. adorable. and why hasn't TR told me about this handsome celebrity couple b4?

and TR, can you please give us a fact-based piece on the Fisher Family. I know ur good at such pieces, so here's a PERFECT situation where we all wanna know more, eh?

How credible is the Fisher Family's homophobia? Did they give to prop 8?

Bottom line: I'm torn. Do I start shopping at Gap again?

Or do I add Gap to my forever-boycott-until-obvi-and-huge-news-of-change-from-them list.

You know, how I feel sick just walking past an Urban Outfitters. (NOT very "urban.")

How I've been embarrassed to like stuff when I accidentally went into an Urban Outfitters without realizing that's what it was.

I had to leave the merchandise at the counter, repulsed by the ANTI-GAY POLITICS of Urban Outfitters.

Do I need to do the same for Gap? What are the facts???

And, again, either way, can I see more of this ADORABLE celeb couple and their lives/influence/careers here at TR please???

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 5, 2012 12:34:52 AM

8. To whoever said L.A. is 'ugly': L.A. is awesome. I love L.A. I prefer it to S.F.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 5, 2012 9:33:35 AM

9. To those who think GAP is renting out space for a Paul Ryan event, it's is absolutely untrue. The event was booked by a PR company w/out the use of Ryan's name. After Gap Inc found out it was for him, they asked that the event be re-located, as they did not/do not endorse Ryan, nor do they want to be associated with him.

GAP has embraced the LGBT community fervently and has a great record of support. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous and and unfounded.

Posted by: Jack Johns | May 8, 2012 1:43:26 PM

10. Proud to work for Gap Inc.
    Enough said...

Posted by: js | May 16, 2012 5:23:50 PM

11. This is great! I randomly check and see what the crazy people on the One Million Moms facebook page are doing and saw that they are of course boycotting the ad right now, telling people to right in to get it taken down. Luckily the comments under their post is mostly against those bigots, and I wrote in in favor of this ad. I am a 22 year old heterosexual form Kansas and I am all for equality, and for these crazy bitches to get out of everyones business! So right on GAP, I'm for sure shopping their again.

Posted by: Jon | May 19, 2012 3:08:07 PM

12. These nasty ads are all over the LA area even the non-gay parts.

Posted by: Casey | May 23, 2012 10:52:09 PM

13. These nasty ads are all over the LA area even the non-gay parts.

Posted by: Casey | May 23, 2012 10:52:12 PM

14. These nasty ads are all over the LA area even the non-gay parts.

Posted by: Casey | May 23, 2012 10:52:12 PM

15. Godly principles that help make this nation what it once was (we are no longer great) has been diluted and watered down by many. the majority say you're "to love" EVERYONE. I want to clarify for those who might read this and for those who have lost their way in biblical principles; we're to love the sinner, but HATE their sin. Oldest and most reknown book THE BIBLE plannly states that GOD CREATED WOMAN FOR MAN. It goes on to state that Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed and one of the vital reasons for this, the men wanted the house guest, which were MEN (angels came in the form of men) to be sent out to them, so that they could have sexual relations with them. God was very displeased and he destroyed the city. No matter what law is passed, no matter who is in office making up some new bill to "okay" what people want....GOD IS STILL GOd and our nation is in serious trouble because we're leading people astray by allowing such perverse things to be displayed. I for one will not be shopping at GAP again and I will continue to encourage others to take a stand.

Posted by: Tammy | Jun 26, 2013 3:34:02 PM