Charles Worley | News | North Carolina

Thousands Protest NC Pastor Charles Worley, Who Said Gays Should Be Fenced in and Killed: VIDEO

Catawba1

Videos, AFTER THE JUMP...

More than 2,000 protesters came out from all over the country to protest Providence Road Baptist Church Pastor Charles Worley, whose Mother's Day sermon in which he suggested gays and lesbians should be fenced in and killed went viral last week, the Hickory Record reports.

Catawba2The protestors came out in force to bring a message of love and acceptance. Their signs bore bold statements like, “Jesus had 2 dads and he turned out just fine.” And “I am a gay, moral, conservative Christian.”

Sheriff’s deputies and Newton police officers kept the peace as the protestors stood by the side of the road and cheered every time a car drove past and honked in approval.

A vocal group of more than 50 counter-protestors were on hand to support Worley and his church. They too had signs with slogans like, “Sodomites are vile, unnatural and worthy of death. Romans 1:21-32.” And “Gay pride is why Sodom got fried.”

Catawba3The Charlotte Observer reported the crowds were slightly smaller:

About 1,200 people came from across North Carolina and other states Sunday to protest a Maiden preacher’s recent anti-gay sermon. Beyond the protest, many said they wanted to support each other after a demoralizing ballot defeat and to show the nation that many people in North Carolina support gay rights. Some even came to declare their sexuality publicly for the first time.

There was also a reported arson attempt on Worley's church on Friday night:

Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid said about 50 law enforcement personnel patrolled during the protest, and there were no arrests. The Sheriff’s Office, however, did issue at least one warning citation to a counter protestor for violating the noise ordinance.

“With this many people, it went pretty well,” said Reid.

Reid told NewsChannel 36, the Observer’s news partner, that someone set fire to a power box at Providence Baptist Church on Friday. Reid said the fire marshal is investigating the incident, but there is no reason to believe the fire is linked to the protests.

PrbcWorley, meanwhile, was greeted with a standing ovation by his congregation, the Hickory Record reported:

Church members and about 100 visitors from in and outside the area gave Worley a standing ovation when he approached the pulpit. A few members stood up from the pews and spoke out in favor of Worley as officers watched and intervened when one particularly longwinded member spoke.

The atmosphere was a vocal and jubilant one. The sanctuary was mostly full, with the vast majority of the crowd singing and crying out in joy. Many threw their hands up in praising the Lord and in support of the pastor.

“I appreciate all the support,” Worley said, buoyed by the loud cheers and applause of the congregation.

Barely touching on the subject of his May 13 sermon that sparked the controversy, Worley did not apologize. “I’ve got a King James Bible,” Worley said. “I’ve been a preacher for 53 years. Do you think I’m going to bail out on this?”

Instead, Worley focused on being proud of the Bible. “Everything I do, say, or preach, I believe in this book,” he said.

Watch a video and two news reports on the protest, AFTER THE JUMP...

Local news:

Local news:

Comments

1. The only way that Christians and Jews can continue to try and sell their religion to a civilized world is by ignoring much of what the bible says about their god. Unfortunately, for them, the fundamentalists keep reminding the world of just how hateful yahweh really is.

Posted by: andrew | May 29, 2012 3:04:42 AM

2. The Bible is metaphor. It should not be taken literally.

Posted by: Gene Touchet | May 29, 2012 9:45:44 AM

3. At some point, this conversation with Christians and other haters will need to turn a corner. Instead, it seems to be ratcheting up. Case in point the other story about a young man at a graduation picnic being beaten by a group of nine. We need to identify some new talking points that both sides can agree upon.

In my own experience, I lived next to a virulently hateful old couple who damaged our property and harrassed us, and even harrassed landscapers that were working on our property (guilt by association). Their hate for us, particularly the woman's, was the most energizing and thrilling thing that was happening in their lives. Without it, they would be left with the stark reality that they were poor, uneducated, near the end of their lives, and stuck with a life that was unfulfilling. The glee and zeal with which they attacked us verbally supplied the only stimulation that they experienced each day.

I think this relates how these groups are attacking us. They have nothing else to feed their otherwise empty lives. They see that the choices they have made are limiting, and having no education or skills to change this trajectory. They often were too young when they started a family, so the overwhelming burden and responsibilities of parenthood become the only thing that they choose to believe gives their life meaning, and one of the few things that they have and we (generally) do not have. Now the gay community is asking for that too? It is too much. Their choices haunt them. The only way to not accept the vacuity of their existence is to make hate a virtue.

I believe it is a fact that these people will not ever change. They hate the jews, the Mexican immigrants, the gays. Our only hope is that they find someone else to hate and leave us alone. The muslims? No, the hate need to be directed at a clear and present danger, not an abstract idea outside the USA. Sure the muslims are a threat, and they hate them, but there aren't enough of them in this country to provide the fixation.

Look at the gays: We're everywhere, and everyone knows someone who is gay. They see upwardly mobile gays who are self-actualized and they hate us for it. They see gays who "choose" to have children, and these gay parents are frequently a little older and more mature, have some expendable resources to make it happen, and are in what appears to be stabile relationships. Or they are single (!) and can clearly afford the nanny or other support system to make that happen. This cannot be allowed. They are resentful. They are jealous. Of course I realize that I've made a generalization, and that probably most gay parents are struggling and have the same hopes for their children, but these aren't the gay parents that they see on television. And even in situations where the gay parents have limited resources, it still takes a level of self awareness and intentionality to have a family if you are in a gay relationship. It is obvious to these haters that even when socio-economic scales are equal, they still come up short in educational achievement, self actualization, and overall contentedness.

The fact of their circumstance is the source of their hate.

Posted by: David | May 29, 2012 10:45:09 AM

4. “Everything I do, say, or preach, I believe in this book,” (the bible)

That's not much different than those in the Mid East saying "everything I believe in is in the Koran"

Posted by: Jim | May 29, 2012 11:48:00 AM

5. @Gene: A metaphor? What is the metaphor when yahweh tells his people to stone to death the man caught gathering wood on the sabbath? How about his mandate to kill all the living creatures in the towns that his followers conquer. Etc. Etc. It is a vile book written by primitives. Only the Taliban can rejoice in the beauty of those metaphors.

Posted by: andrew | May 29, 2012 12:23:21 PM

6. Exactly, ANDREW. Comments like GENE to me are as stupid and confounding as the fundamentalists.

Posted by: nikko | May 29, 2012 2:36:17 PM

7. well, "biblically speaking", "SODOMY" is the hoarding of wealth and refusing hospitality and generally being a greedy selfish prig.

there you have it. the sodomites of America are the GOP.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 2:53:55 PM

8. 1. This tiny church in bumfuckegypt is hardly representative of "Christianity".

2. The obsession to make sense out of the rantings of the delusional about their magical monkey in the sky, to seek acceptance from them, and to make sense of their hopelessly corrupted "Holy Bible" is just TOO ridiculous to not remark upon.

3. The only reason any of you give two craps in a snowstorm about this tiny church in the middle of nowhere, is because the hiv and std infected sex-obsessed self-destructive and community destructive gay media run by addicts and losers and douches is distracting you from doing the hard work that remains undone.

4. Defining ourselves as primarily as sexual creatures is idiotic. Straight people don't do it - the MEDIA does. It's done to sell you crap you don't need, and in most instances, will make you sick or kill you. Stop being stupid fagots and victims. It's unseemly and more than a little bit pathetic.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 29, 2012 3:02:15 PM

9. NVTODD, it would be wonderful if you could be a real proud man and show us the example of a Proper Gay Man that you apparently are.

You can provide the URL to your own webpage and/or youtube video wherein you show this example, and share your message, which will only give it validity.

After all, there's no reason a strong and empowered gay man like you would be unable to put a face to his comments, right? I mean, that kind of anonymity is just for wussy little cowards, right?

So, let's see ya bro.

Show us how to not be "stupid "agots (sic)" and "victims" by showing us the example you lead and live every day.

it's so easy even i can do it. click my name to see how.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 3:13:37 PM

10. lest we and the world forget
    Posted by wilmbear(292 posts) on May 28, 2012 at 11:34am
    and many don't even know that we were once put behind fences once before by a little group known as the nazi's, tortured starved and experimented on and we're still here. So pastor worley if anyone belongs behind a fence I would say its you. Prison fences for promoting encouraging and instigating; starvation and murder of human beings. so pastor worley to you I say, been there done that got the pink triangle to prove it, not to mention history books, museums, and hundreds of thousands of WW2 veterans. So pastor worley your secret is out it's time to turn in your cross for a swastika fly your true colors. What you are saying is very similar to what the nazi's said before they marched us, the jews, gypsies, the physically and mentally disabled off the the camps, labs, and gas chambers.

Posted by: john | May 29, 2012 7:17:50 PM

11. What's the matter, KIWI, the meth addict shut-in remarks strike a little too close to home for you ?

If you have some counter-point to make about my remarks on this article, make them.

Otherwise, do yourself a BIG favor, and STFU.

And no, you don't get to see my picture and look at my web sites. My personal information is a privilege, not a right.

Just because you choose to be a slutty little media whore in the age of devalued privacy doesn't mean anybody else is obligated to follow your lemming-like lead.

Have a nice day.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 29, 2012 7:40:34 PM

12. Someone should have lit the church on fire with him in it.
    Hell is waiting.

Posted by: Mikey M | May 29, 2012 8:21:03 PM

13. Prove me wrong, NVTODD. I call your bluff. You seem to have a very specific idea of what everyone else should be doing - prove you're doing it yourself, show us, and lead by example.

You can't sit in the darkness and complain that nobody is doing what you, yourself, aren't doing either

I have nothing to hide, I don't do anonymity - it's for wimps.

I call your bluff.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 8:33:18 PM

14. Charles Worley

(828) 428-9550
    3912 Williams St
    Maiden, NC 28650-8452

Spouse: Mary
    Daughter: Frances

Posted by: Steve | May 29, 2012 10:35:15 PM

15. KIWI, what bluff ?

What makes you believe I have anything to prove to you, or owe you anything at all ?

I reiterate, if you have something to counter related to my comments here, you would do it.

Instead you seem obsessed with seeing my picture so that you can jack-off to my photos. Not gonna happen. I'm not interested in your STD infected and drug addicted obsession with me. I know what you are, it's tiresome and common. It's the real problem with the community - the tendency to think that simply being a media whore accomplishes anything. It doesn't. Get out there and do some real work for a change.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 30, 2012 1:10:25 PM

16. show us the "real work" you're apparently doing.

or keep making excuses for being a closeted wimp with no balls :D

you seem to have some ideas of what we should all be doing. how about you show us all by your example the specifics YOU are doing, that you feel we should all be joining you in?

there's one lil'example of the actual in-real-life work i do. check out me and my parents in the video ;-)

yes, i'm calling your bluff. what bluff? oh, let me break it down - i think it's incredibly obvious that you're one more in a miserable line of closeted wimpy trolls who hate "everything gay" because you hate yourself. you could prove me wrong, by actually (you know) proving me wrong. URL, please.

but you won't. because you can't. and that makes me smile. :) like this.
    i do real work in the real world all the time. and i can prove it. what "real work" are you specifically doing? don't just tell us, SHOW US. if you can. bet you can't, though ;-)

here's another example of what i'm actually doing:
    click the 1:30pm link ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 30, 2012 1:31:57 PM

17. I think the fact that you avoid addressing any of the points I've made, and use this forum as an opportunity to self-promote by primarily personally attacking people just supports my arguments.

And no, I made no bluff for you to "call".

I'm not interested in your childish bets, or your bizarre ego tripping.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 30, 2012 11:05:14 PM

18. And this is why I will NEVER practice any organized religion. I will not let any mere man tell me what to believe, how to worship, or that I am a sinner. Not to mention, almost all organized religions pretty much hate every other religious group.

I don't understand why these sad hillbillies continue to blindly follow the corrupt, hypocritical, megalomaniacal dictators and give them all their welfare checks.

No real Christian, churchgoer or not, would want to be associated in any way with Worley or his cult.

Posted by: JJ | May 31, 2012 10:59:15 AM

19. very sad to see that there are so many generalizations of those who believe in God. all believers do not think the way these people do. generalizing and intolerance are what you fight against and yet you do not tolorate someone who disagrees with you, and in a violent attitude at that. God loves all and forgives all who seek His forgivness. He is not hateful, do spend some time studying and finding scripture that supports your lifestyle of sin or any sin.

Posted by: g | Jun 1, 2012 1:53:08 AM

20. Im glad someone had the guts to stand up and say what allot of us are thinking, there is no place in this world for queers, fags, gays, or whatever you want to call those sick things. They cry about how it's not a choice, they where born that way, B.S. They do this to piss off their parents and for attention, if you dont like America or the way your treated don't move to another country and cause them problems, kill yourself now. Pastor James, I'm glad you said what you said and don't let anyone tell you your wrong. We are behind you 100% and there are allot of us who think like you. The fags can say what they want but you can't, that's so like them.

Posted by: Joseph Douglas Jewell | Jun 4, 2012 3:59:21 PM

21. *
    (A)

Hoover met with Mussolini during the mid-1920s to form their 'eternal alliance' between Italy's Fascists and the American Republican Party.

Their actions have been conforming to the accepted points of Fascism since then.

(B)

Hitler boasted his three-step plan to state-sponsored, 'legal' genocide:

(1) they have no rights,

(2) they have no rights to live among us, and

(3) they have no rights to live.

(C)

These days we get Pastor Charles Worley's sermonising how he will implement Hitler's plan in today's America.

Germans stood silently then with Herr Hitler. Americans stand silently now with Pastor Worley.

Keep standing silently awaiting Reverend Martin Niemoller's predictions will repeat for you, too.

I've been to Dachau. Its electric barbed-wire fence surrounds the death camp prison. Human long bones stacked as cord-wood; skulls; captives' belongings strewn in the storage room. No more Dachau!

(D)

'Not in My name!':

Deu 13, 1-5

Deu 18: 20

Matt 7: 15-20

Matt 19: 11-12 and 18-19

Matt 24: 23-27

Luke 6: 20-26

1Corr 7: 36-38

Rom 16: 17-19.

(E)

Read Lamar Waldon's new book and deny Republican are treason.

(F)

Learn how the Republicans, with Democrats in tow, are giving contemporary America the same downward sprial as did the Bourbons leading to the storming of the Bastille.

(G)

Oliver Crangle dealt in petulance and poison. He chose four o'clock as his personal Gotterdammerung.

Crangle - a twisted fanatic, poisoned by the gangrene of prejudice, to the status of avenging angel, upright and omniscient, dedicated and fearsome.

At four o'clock, Crangle made his bed and lay on it. A pot called a kettle black. A stone-thrower broke the windows of his glass house.

It's now four o'clock at Pastor Worley's congregation.

Look for this one under 'F' for fanatic and 'J' for justice.

Posted by: SharonERC | Jun 7, 2012 8:16:42 AM