Family Research Council | Gay Parents | Jennifer Chrisler | News | Tony Perkins

Hate Group Leader Tony Perkins Agrees to Dinner with Gay Activist's Family: VIDEO

Baldwin_chrisler

Family Equality Council's Jennifer Chrisler invited Family Research Council hate group leader Tony Perkins to dinner following his interview with CNN's Brooke Baldwin last week in which she asked him, "Why do homosexuals bother you so much?"

Chrisler appeared with Baldwin late on Friday regarding the invite.

Wrote Chrisler in the letter: Baldwin_perkins

Dear Mr. Perkins,

I watched with interest your appearance on CNN Thursday and I was struck by your steadfast opposition to full equality for the 1 million lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents who are raising 2 million children in our country today. It is especially concerning given your lack of meaningful and personal interaction with those families.

I, like you, am a parent. Like you, my spouse and I have shared many years together committed to our family, our community, and to making the world a better place. I imagine we share many of the same joys and struggles in doing the important work of raising our children and contributing meaningfully to our community. We attend church regularly and our children attend Sunday school weekly. We love our children intensely and feel a deep desire to protect and nurture them as they continue along their journey to adulthood. We are also anxiously awaiting the arrival of our third child, due in August, and have worked since his conception to ensure his health and welfare. This is the face of the one million families you have taken no time to get to know.

I think if you could spend meaningful time with any of us, you would find we share many of the same values that you have worked to teach your own children.

So it is with that in mind that I come to you with this sincere offer. I would like to extend an open invitation for you and your family to visit my home and have dinner with my spouse and children with the full hope that you will witness the love that exists in our families. While I recognize it may not change your mind, I hope that it might soften your heart.  As Christians, I think we can both agree that ours is not to judge and that we must live by the golden rule. I open my table to you and invite you to get to know me and my family.

Even if nothing comes of the experience, at least you can say you spent time with our families and knew us and still deny us our equality.  But I know you will find that our families have much in common and share the same hopes and dreams for our children.
Sincerely,

Jennifer Chrisler
Executive Director
Family Equality Council

Baldwin let Chrisler know that Perkins has accepted:

"My wife and I will be glad to respond, when we receive the invitation, to find a time that works."

Watch CNN's interview and report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Family_chrisler

Comments

1. Wow.

Posted by: ichabod | May 29, 2012 8:22:33 AM

2. I'm more excited about the other outstanding dinner invite, any word from Brian Brown re Dan Savage's invitation?

Posted by: Brian | May 29, 2012 8:23:28 AM

3. If I went around all day long, accusing everyone of *hate* who doesn't agree with gay marriage, I'd be miserable, and it would make me hateful. You're not going to change someone's attitude or belief until you can change your own. My christian family is extremely supportive of my eleven year relationship with my boyfriend. I could have just accused them all of *hate* instead, based on the narrative of this site, destroyed my relationship with them. But it was more important to me to work from within, listen to what they say, and respond in a respectful manner.

No one and I mean NO ONE is required to support gay marriage. I don't support straight marriage. Have you seen the divorce rate? I guess I hate straight people.

Posted by: Alan | May 29, 2012 8:27:43 AM

4. I've said it before, now it literally applies when Perkins comes to dine:

"If you sup with the devil, use a long spoon."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 29, 2012 8:28:22 AM

5. Very naive. He will find a way to twist this for his purposes and use them. The guy is completely amoral.

Posted by: Steve | May 29, 2012 8:30:23 AM

6. @Alan
    No, people don't have to support gay marriage. The alternative to support isn't opposition however. It's just staying quiet. Tony, however, has it made his life's work to hurt gay people. And that makes him evil.

Posted by: Steve | May 29, 2012 8:31:53 AM

7. He will never come out in support of marriage equality because he would be out of a job.

Posted by: Curt | May 29, 2012 8:32:04 AM

8. In 1983, Jerry Falwell accepted an invitation to visit a gay home. He agreed on a nationwide broadcast of Nightline. He never followed through.

Perkins either will let this fade away or he will use it as a marketing ploy to show how he boldly takes the Gospel right into the homes of lesbian sinners. If he does follow through, there is zero chance that anything he sees will change his views. He will issue a statement about how nice these lesbians are, but that while hie "loves" them, he objects to their "behavior". The guy is 100% prepackaged spin.

Posted by: Bill | May 29, 2012 8:32:26 AM

9. @Steve
    the alternative to support is never staying quiet. Perkins and his ilk may be total garbage but they are entitled to spew their opinion.

Posted by: ed | May 29, 2012 8:39:42 AM

10. ALAN - thank you, that was a mature and insightful post, very counter to much that is said here. We must strike a much more educative attitude towards those who are offended by gay existence.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 29, 2012 8:44:09 AM

11. @Alan
    Everyone and I mean EVERYONE is required to honor my civil and human rights.

Posted by: Demian | May 29, 2012 8:49:35 AM

12. @ Steve Exactly. Perkins is a cold, consummate professional. I've never seen so many people go up against one man and fail so miserably. He's slippery, calculating and dangerous. Whatever tender emotions Tony may happen to feel, they have nothing whatsoever to do with his career path. These women are soooo on the wrong track. I wish them the best, though.

Posted by: ScottNH | May 29, 2012 8:50:50 AM

13. This only contributes to his notoriety- and why? Clearly, his positions are absurd.

Never argue with a crazy person, because the passerby can't tell the difference.

And to the Xtianist apologists... if no one advocates my lesser treatment under the law, they need not fear my criticism. Don't like being labelled as a 'hater'? Don't pretend treating others as lesser beings won't earn you my disdain & more.

There's nothing virtuous about religious bigotry.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | May 29, 2012 9:03:06 AM

14. Good for her!
    She speaks very well, I hope she does speaking engagements in support of marriage equality.

Posted by: Oliver | May 29, 2012 9:06:45 AM

15. This could mean that the winds of change are upon us, as evidenced by recent polls showing an increasing trend to support gay marriage, and Mr. Perkins does not want to be left on the wrong side of the issue, hanging in that wind, if it affects his income. Cynical, I guess so. Bon appetite.

Posted by: if the shoe fits | May 29, 2012 9:13:34 AM

16. That wasn't an acceptance, that was a preemptive excuse. Next time someone confronts Perkins about it, he'll say "I never got the invitation." Ta-da! Instant face-saver.

Posted by: lessthan | May 29, 2012 9:16:31 AM

17. "...when we receive the invitation..."?

Ummm, you already have received the invitation. It's right there in the letter: "I would like to extend an open invitation for you and your family..."

Perkins has no intentions of attending the dinner. He'll use every excuse to skip it in the hopes that they'll eventually forget about it.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | May 29, 2012 9:21:11 AM

18. I don't know why you'd have this guy in your home, you're not going to change his mind.

Posted by: chad | May 29, 2012 9:35:04 AM

19. What a beautifully worded invitation and it is amazing that Tony Perkins has said "Yes". It will be interesting to see if this actually happens.
    Chad, I don't think she thinks she will change his mind, only, maybe, soften his heart a bit. We'll see.

Posted by: PJW | May 29, 2012 9:41:58 AM

20. This is absurd. I wouldn't let that bastard darken my door, much less be around my kids.

Posted by: Jay | May 29, 2012 9:46:05 AM

21. This whole "they are entitled to their opinion" garbage sounds like a GOProud talking point.

Sure, have dinner with the family and friends and tell them how much you don't support gay marriage. Whatever. You're entitled to that.

But head an organization that spends millions a month to continue injecting America's most malleable minds with the same baseless information, lies, scare tactics, and misdirections and YES, you are a bigot, you are a hater.

It doesn't make you "mature" or "insightful" if you think someone like Perkins is just voicing his opinion. It makes you a doormat.

Posted by: kpo5 | May 29, 2012 10:05:52 AM

22. p.s. careful ladies,......perkins totally has the hots for your children. keep them away from him.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 10:06:08 AM

23. KPO5, you're spot-on. Alan-the_troll is a pathetic GOProud wannabe - one more gay wimp who confuses a parental stance of "i'll tolerate your gayness just as long as you cut off your balls and don't embarrass me in front of my friends by being totally gay and don't you dare ever demand any form of public support for you" as "love and acceptance", which it aint.

we see these failures in life all the time - "oh, just because my friends and family dont' support gay marriage doesn't mean they're anti-gay"

sorry, sugar. it does.

"oh, i respect his different opinion" = "imadoofus"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 10:12:18 AM

24. Haters are antiChrist who do not believe or pretend to believe in Jesus Christ but do not acknowledge Christ for saying that His 2 commandments to love God and to love thy neighbor as thyself, are the highest of all biblical laws. The antiChrist, like the devil, is a master of quoting biblical verses except those 2 top commandments of love from Christ, they avoid using Christ's name but use other names, even 'God', to bring all sort of biblical verses or 'facts', to lie and to prove their disagreements about Christ and his commandments of Love. AntiChrist deceive people that those 2 commandments of love were not above all laws for Christians.

The issue of homosexuality among any other issues is a test of the Christian faith on that choice of who they really believe in the end, to love (stay with Christ and follow His commandments of love) or to hate (succumb to temptation of verses NOT from Christ and his top commandments and to justify their hatred, a deja-vu of story of Eve falling into temptation by satan the snake with the apple for the 'gift' of 'knowledge' and ignoring their true God).

Posted by: Simon | May 29, 2012 10:50:36 AM

25. I think some people are missing the point. I'm sure she knows she won't change his mind, but by extending the invitation she has made herself visible on a national level and offered an image of a kind, caring, and unthreatening same-sex couple. That could change the minds of other people who are not as hardline as Perkins. It brings a relatable and human face to the issue, something Perkins doesn't want.

Posted by: Dave | May 29, 2012 11:41:01 AM