Bullying | Detroit | News

A Bullied 7-Year-Old in Detroit Has Committed Suicide: VIDEO

Seven years old!

DetroitAuthorities and media in Detroit are incredulous that a boy so young could have taken his own life over bullying, but that appears to be the tragic case, the Detroit Free Press reports:

Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. said Thursday, calling the situation "unfathomable."

He said the department is investigating the child's death, but as of Thursday afternoon, it appeared the situation is "exactly as presented" -- a suicide.

The boy was found by his 14-year-old sister hanging from a bunk bed with a belt around his neck.

The 7-year-old, whom the Free Press is not naming, had been depressed about being bullied by other kids at school and in his neighborhood, and about his parents' recent separation, the boy's mother told police, according to the report.

Adds the Free Press:

The boy's mother told police she forced her way into the room where her son was by removing the door knob, grabbed her son and held him up while a neighbor removed the belt from around his neck, a report says. The boy was then placed on his mother's bed, but a 911 operator said to move him to the floor, a report says.

The boy's mother told police she had last seen her son alive at 4 p.m. Wednesday, when she left to go talk to the family's pastor about the child's depression, according to the report.

The mother told police that her son "had been depressed due to her recent separation from his father; the fact that he had been bullied continuously by the children at school, in addition to the constant teasing that he had endured because he was the only boy in the home of eight females," a report says.

A MyFOX Detroit report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Detroit Boy, 7, Dies in Apparent Suicide: MyFoxDETROIT.com

Comments

1. My heart wrenched when I read this. At the age of 7, I was also bullied, and even that little I had suicidal thoughts. Looking back, I don't have a single clue how I survived, but to stop and think about the pain that poor boy went through...it's going to haunt me for days.

Posted by: Amy | May 25, 2012 3:12:16 PM

2. I actually wanted to hang myself when I was 10 years old. My home life was also very troubled. It wasn't until I was 17 that I opened my heart to Jesus and I slowly healed from all the traumas. The mom did the right thing by going to her pastor, but obviously too late.

Posted by: Carol | May 25, 2012 3:39:16 PM

3. This makes me very sad, sad for children, sad for parents; all victims of societal changes that leave people clueless. If parents would learn good parenting skills and engage their children, there would be less bullying and less impact from those who bully. These children have parents! Why is so much of this going on?

Posted by: Cynthia | May 25, 2012 4:13:32 PM

4. This is...tragic on levels that I don't even think I can comprehend.

But there's a logic problem either in the case, or in this report.

If the mother had to force her way in by removing the door knob, then how did the kid's sister find him?

Posted by: Brent | May 25, 2012 5:01:07 PM

5. The sister found the boy but the mother had to force her way into the room by removing the doorknob? These two facts do not make sense.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | May 25, 2012 5:26:40 PM

6. OK, we seriously need to do something about this bullying problem because way too many kids these days are killing themselves over this.

Poor kid. Poor family. My heart goes out to all of them.

Posted by: Dana | May 25, 2012 5:50:14 PM

7. I agree with Ratbastard, he's hit it squarely. I see this all the time as well, at my job (retail in an urban location, our store is directly across from the biggest Walmart I've ever seen). Truly shocking lack of parenting skills by young and middleaged females who always seem to have multiple kids...why is this so enabled? And the fact that this woman went to a PASTOR...my religious views aside, the apparently completel lack of a larger view with some of these people makes me cringe. They know the parts of the system that enable them to get the handouts, but don't want to be bothered with the parts of the system that, imo, would do them more good--counseling & education! On the other hand, had she gone for counseling for the kid there's a good chance that children's services would have become involved, and that's something people in "the system" don't want to see happen!

I feel so badly for the kid, but c'mon, suicide at 7 YEARS OLD?? There's something bigger going on here.

Posted by: jim | May 25, 2012 5:55:37 PM

8. RATBASTARD needs to do some serious study of sociology.

poverty, the lack of adult men in the home (esp. fathers who love their children) & the sense of hopelessness that comes from all of that often leads to these outcomes of having kids that one cannot afford.

the answer is poverty eradication and community/family revitalization NOT cutting benefits to the poor.

Posted by: redball | May 25, 2012 6:30:11 PM

9. This article could just as easily have been titled "Natural Selection takes its course".

Posted by: Nope | May 25, 2012 7:46:10 PM

10. @nope. have you no humanity at all?

sickening

Posted by: @paul | May 25, 2012 9:47:25 PM

11. Gay children are bullied by Christian children who have been taught by their Christian parents and preachers to harass and degrade children who are gay. Everybody knows this is true.

Posted by: Dave | May 25, 2012 10:55:24 PM

12. Stay away from "pastors". They believe that collection of myths written thousands of years ago is the "word of god". Yep, they believe the creator of the billion gallaxy universe was telling his people to stone to death all those who work on the sabbath, commit adultery, curse their parents etc . Advice from anyone who believes that crap is dangerous. Run from them,don't just walk away. Their ignorance is evil.

Posted by: andrew | May 26, 2012 6:25:02 AM

13. Bullying is horrible, and I don't support it, but people shouldn't be killing themselves over it! The world is so soft and protective, so that when someone is insulted they get their feelings all hurt and think it's the end of the world.
    People need to toughen up.
    Still, this is very sad.

Posted by: Anoymous | Oct 25, 2012 5:34:42 PM

14. How did the boy get the idea in his head....he was only seven.....how could he possibly know about suicide?....maybe its the games maybe its the tv but either way i feel disgusted

Posted by: Shannon | Nov 20, 2012 5:23:06 PM

15. I cam't believe these comments. People who have no idea who this person was, or the parents. This was a loving, God fearing, wonderful mother who was doing a great job. No one said she was divorced, no said she in projects, no one said she was neglectful. This family loved each other. My parents had 12 siblings how dare you judge a family of 8. I knew her and had nothing negative to say about her....she has encouraged me! How dare you self-righteous people judge this...how DARE you. By the same measure God will judge you. SMH

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 31, 2013 11:31:11 AM