Dharun Ravi | New Jersey | News | Tyler Clementi

BigGayDeal.com

Dharun Ravi Apologizes, Says He'll Begin Jail Term Despite Appeal

Dharun Ravi today apologized for his actions in the case surrounding Tyler Clementi's suicide, in a statement released by his attorney.

D_raviSaid Ravi in the statement:

"Last Monday, I was sentenced to 3 years probation, 300 hours of community service, a fine of more than $10,000.00, and 30 days in jail. Since the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office appealed that sentence, the sentence does not have to start until the appeal is decided. Nevertheless, I decided to accept and hopefully complete the sentence as soon as possible. It's the only way I can go on with my life.

I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid and childish choices that I made on September 19, 2010 and September 21, 2010. My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices. I am surrendering myself to the Middlesex County Correctional Facility on Thursday, May 31, 2012, to start my 30-day period of imprisonment."

NBC News adds: "Ravi's lawyers have said they expect to appeal the convictions entirely. They say that he was not hateful and that authorities charged him with such serious crimes because of Clementi's suicide even though he was not charged with the 18-year-old's death."

Comments

1. Bill gets it.

@ Aki: If what this "kid" (ie. fully-formed adult trolling for sympathy) did doesn't enrage you then we really have nothing further to discuss.

What was needed was justice. We didn't get it. Therefore --

I

WANT

VEGEANCE!!!!!!

And if you had so much as an ounce of self-respect so would you.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 30, 2012 4:49:22 AM

2. It seems to me that Ravi's "apology" was so obviously written by his lawyers.

Posted by: PC in SC | May 30, 2012 5:16:42 AM

3. Yes he should be punished. What he did was criminal and shameful.
    But while he goe to jail Bybee, the Counsel who approved of torture for Cheney becomes a judge; Yoo, the author of the paper that allows/encourages torture gets a lecturing post at Stanford.These are real hard criminals.
    The people who destroyed evidence of torture rapes lest they be used in a criminal investigation are still free.
    Who are we kidding ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 30, 2012 7:52:04 AM

4. OOOps : Correction ..."torture tapes..."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 30, 2012 7:53:04 AM

5. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and credit him with feeling, in his heart of hearts, that he has serious culpability and has gotten off easy despite the advice of counsel of the indifference of his mother and father to what happened to Tyler. We have reason to believe his mother and father are lousy people--but regardless of the apology (or what have you) this kind of life-event can place Dharun on the road to no longer being the lousy person his family raised him to be. I pray that it has.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 30, 2012 8:45:11 AM

6. "I

WANT

VEGEANCE!!!!!!"

Oh stop it, you ludicrous old dinosaur. This isn't some campy C-movie that's being shown on MST3K that you'd champion because it's soooooo transgressive, unless you go and off Ravi yourself, you're just another blowhard Internet tough guy.

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 30, 2012 9:08:31 AM

7. @David

Yes , I do see a kid (18 is not that old )
    that was simply not thinking at all. And as a former 18 year old with a tendency to not think things through I give him the benefit of a doubt .

Posted by: aki | May 30, 2012 10:29:45 AM

8. Just popped in to see:

1. How nasty David Ehrenstein would be?

A. Quite

2. Whether or not he'd be able to make this about himself?

A. Yep

3. Would he include a link to himself?

A. You betcha

Posted by: MammaBear | May 30, 2012 12:35:37 PM

9. I accept his taking of responsibility for his crimes and his apology. I think, even if it seems insincere to others, that he didn't issue a fake apology we're so accustomed to getting ("If I offended anyone, I'm sorry.)

Here he takes responsibility for his crimes and has apologized twice. Neither time did he issue the classic "fake apology".

He also showed that he takes what he says seriously. He didn't want the plea deal because he'd have to state he was biased against gays. He does not feel he is. (Whether he truly is or not is a different discussion.)

I didn't like the sentence and thought it far too light. I was for deportation as well. But now that he is voluntarily going to jail to serve that part of his sentence and his taking of responsibility for the crimes he was charged with, I'm fine with him not being deported.

Is he sincere? I can't be sure. But he is at least acting like a man should by taking responsibility for his actions, even if we'd like him to do more.

I'm willing to take his statements at face value and move on. He has to live with what he has done the rest of his life. It's not going to be easy. He'll pay a price. Maybe we think it should be more, but now I can be a little more at ease with the light sentence. There is no such thing as perfect justice. It just doesn't exist. This will have to suffice.

Posted by: Michael Rutledge | May 30, 2012 2:00:15 PM

10. I suppose I have to admit to being biased by appearances.

Just as Bob VanderPlop and Maggie G always appear here and in most unfriendly sites with the least appealing pictures, D. Ravi almost always appears in photos that accentuate features that can be interpreted as representing a smug, arrogant and unappealing man. It has been there from the start, with his high school grad photo and continues.

On the other hand, even the photos illustrating the story in non-gay oriented sites seem to show the same things to me.

So maybe the images are accurate, whatever the source.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 30, 2012 2:14:54 PM

11. I find most appalling about this well drafted apology was that he did not specifically and personally apologized to the Clementi family. And by not doing so, I don't accept this dribble he and his legal team has tossed out to the public.

Posted by: Triple Axel | May 30, 2012 2:41:38 PM

12. I get why he's not metioning the Clementis . He was not charges with anything in connection to Tylers suicide so apologizing to them might be interpreted as having just admitted to being responsible for it . The person he needed to apologize to is dead so the only thing he can do now is offer a general apology to people who might also feel victimized through his action.

Posted by: aki | May 30, 2012 2:52:04 PM

13. I think Ravi is gay. I think he was curious about Clementi because he wanted to learn what he didn't know: how to meet and greet a man.

It will be very difficult for him to come out, but I think we will see that day.

Sad sad story... and yes, he should serve more than 30 days.

Posted by: didee | May 30, 2012 2:57:11 PM

14. @Didee
    Yes , he pings. I'm just unsure if he's aware of it or not.

Posted by: aki | May 30, 2012 5:04:42 PM

15. "This isn't some campy C-movie that's being shown on MST3K"

You mean it's NOT "Manos: The Hands of Fate"? Could have fooled me.

"Vengeance is not justice , an eye for an eye makes the world blind thing ? Ever heard of that."

Ever heard of "If thine eye offend thee pluck it out"?

"Yes , I do see a kid (18 is not that old )"

Get thee to an optomitrist.

"that was simply not thinking at all."

He was thinking PLENTY. You obviously haven't followed the case.

" And as a former 18 year old with a tendency to not think things through I give him the benefit of a doubt ."

You do that little thing, KAPO.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 30, 2012 5:46:37 PM