Billy Graham | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Gay Marriage | News | North Carolina

BigGayDeal.com

Evangelist Billy Graham Speaks Out in Support of NC 'Amendment 1', Takes Out Ad in 14 Papers

Evangelist Billy Graham is speaking out in support of North Carolina's Amendment One, WXII reports:

GrahamThe 93-year-old Graham has a full-page advertisement scheduled to run in 14 state newspapers. From his home in Montreat, Graham said, "Watching the moral decline of our country causes me great concern. I believe the home and marriage is the foundation of our society and must be protected."

Voters will take to the polls on "Amendment One" on May 8, though early voting has already started.

"At 93, I never thought we would have to debate the definition of marriage," Graham says in the advertisement. "The Bible is clear -- God's definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. I want to urge my fellow North Carolinians to vote for the marriage amendment on Tuesday, May 8. God bless you as you vote."

Amendment One would constitutionally prohibit legal recognition of any union other than marriage between a man and a woman, including same-sex civil unions and domestic partnerships.

If you are interested in helping in the last push to defeat Amendment One, click HERE.

Comments

1. I suspect Mr. Graham is only seeking to make a buck: The NUMBER ONE WAY to raise money as a televangelist type is to LOUDLY PROCLAIM how "sinful" gay people are. Regular-going (but ignorant or hateful) straight types POUR MONEY IN when "churches" make such claims.

I think it's because a church doesn't make money selling too much guilt. And a church needs to simultaneously not seem too loving because that doesn't rile the support that fear-mongering does.

So Billy Graham's anti-gay ads are likely to make him a killing. He wants to pad his certainly-already-large bequests to his kids you know. And he doesn't have the strength to raise money in a more honest way (look at him, he's nearly a corpse, y'all).

So this is his desperate attempt to raise a few million by preying on entrenched hate, drawing followers who will feel embraced because they're straight and so spared the most-terrible "sin" of being gay.

It's like "Christian" types of this sort CRUCIFY gay people so that GAY PEOPLE pay the price and STRAIGHT CHRISTIANISTS can feel like THEIR OWN SINS are washed away by the sacrifice of their own gay siblings.

Brutal, dirty, scary tribal-gone-bad. Christianist, but NOT Christian in any genuine sense.

I used to think of Billy Graham as one rare standout who wouldn't sink to this level.

I guess he feels (and looks) down enough that he's fallen prey to the same tactics I like to think he'd have once avoided out of basic human decency.

A little bit like John McCain's last hurrah a few years back, sacrificing his once-admirable principles, using dirty tactics to gain favor when in a moment of weakness.

RIP Mr. Graham. I hope God forgives you for this.

In fact, I wonder if YOU are really there. Is this the work of your "followers" seeking FUND$ in their coffers even though you lack true mental faculties these days???

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 3, 2012 12:20:37 PM

2. what is sad is that Billy is senile and doesn't know his own name any more. This was put out by some zealot using Billy's name.

Shame. Shame Shame.

Posted by: dc20008 | May 3, 2012 12:42:19 PM

3. I never thought he was like this. I always knew him to be understanding and accepting of others. My mistake. Being gay, but totally in the closet at the time, I attended Baylor University and actually dated his grand daughter. I bet he would be very surprised and shocked about that.

Saying that, I feel that it is important that we continue to stand against so much hate and make sure we tell the world that we have rights and that we have the right to marry whom ever we wish....Life is just too short.

While we face discrimination head on, it is those who oppose us that look foolish. They are truly losing this "moral battle" that they speak of.

Now that......makes me smile every day.

Posted by: Tres | May 3, 2012 9:39:41 PM

4. Billy Graham is a total scum bag!!!!!!!

Posted by: jack | May 4, 2012 2:34:29 AM

5. I don't like all the senile/age remarks about Billy Graham. My 93 year old mother is a lifelong democrat who voted for Obama in 2008 and "god willing" will vote for him again in Nov 2012. She is the daughter of Irish immigrants and is thrilled that she has lived long enough to see a highly qualified black/mixed race president in the White House.

Posted by: jack | May 4, 2012 3:15:40 AM

6. Please contact Billy Graham and share your thoughts about his legacy-shredding late-life alignment with hate groups: http://www.billygraham.org/contact.asp

Posted by: Jon Ponder | May 4, 2012 11:09:12 AM

7. "Oh yes The Graham family who's family had to sell The Crytstal cathedral in Ca because the children were all crooks."

Nay, the Schuler family had the 'crystal cathedral'. The Grahams are good folks.

Posted by: correction | May 8, 2012 1:37:38 PM

8. He need ot step aside an dhit a nursing home.

Posted by: David | May 9, 2012 1:56:32 AM

9. Judge not, lest ye be judged, Billy.
    All I can say is God help you and your kind, friend, especially all the inbred residents of NC who voted for this hateful bill - after all, NC does by law permit cousins to marry - GO FIGURE!

Posted by: OMG | May 9, 2012 2:00:15 AM