Bryan Fischer | Log Cabin Republicans | Mitt Romney | Republican Party

Bryan Fischer: Mitt Romney Shouldn't Have Fired Gay Spokesman

Fischer

Jesus! Mitt Romney can't catch a break from anti-gay crazyperson Bryan Fischer! Two weeks ago, Fischer was leading the charge against Romney's newly-appointed spokesman Richard Grenell, claiming that hiring Grenell amounted to a "slap in the face" of all pro-family Americans. He also said that if Romney wanted to win the presidency in November, he'd "better start pandering in a big, fat hurry" to the the gay-hating Republican "base," and that he should begin by firing Richard Grenell.

Now we know what that was really all about. Bryan Fischer doesn't care who Mitt Romney hires; he's just looking for an excuse to bust some semi-moderate Mormon balls. Because now Grenell has been fired, and Fischer's still griping. His new line: Mitt Romney has proven that he's unfit to be president by taking Bryan Fischer's advice.

Says Fischer:

... if Mitt Romney can be pushed around, intimidated, coerced, coopted by a conservative radio talk show host in Middle America, then how is he going to stand up to the Chinese? How is he going to stand up to Putin? How is he going to stand up to North Korea if he can be pushed around by a yokel like me?

Does Fischer mean to imply that he'd have applauded Romney's stoutheartedness if Grenell'd kept his job?

Watch Fischer's whole statement AFTER THE JUMP ...

(HT: RightWingWatch.)

Comments

1. oh dear

Posted by: luke | May 5, 2012 12:07:07 PM

2. Wow. This guy REALLY hates Romney. But I fail to understand his angle. His series of comments over the past fews weeks -- including this latest one -- seem to have put Romney in a Catch-22. So what's Fischer get out of that.

Maybe I should stop trying to find reason and rationality when all that's offered is CRAZY.

Posted by: Rick | May 5, 2012 12:07:29 PM

3. I love that this creep is backing Mitt Flop into a corner. Maybe he'll help keep right wing nut job voters home in November!

Posted by: RedOnTheGreg | May 5, 2012 12:10:04 PM

4. For the first time ever in my life, I agree with this big bag of pinched sphincters -- anyone who would listen to him is obviously unfit to lead the country. (Or to vote on who should lead the country, for that matter.)

Posted by: kit | May 5, 2012 12:23:31 PM

5. Fingers crossed that Romney promptly re-hires Grenell. Let's keep this circus going!

Posted by: Brian | May 5, 2012 12:23:50 PM

6. This is the first time in my life I agree with Bryan Fischer.

Posted by: Daniel | May 5, 2012 12:25:19 PM

7. I didn't realize that Romney "fired" Grenell.

I thought Grenell quit (justifiably) because he was "dissed" and told that he could not speak during a conference call or something like that. I think I read that here on Towleroad.

Posted by: Anon | May 5, 2012 12:34:34 PM

8. Fisher is right, of course.

Posted by: Keppler | May 5, 2012 12:34:43 PM

9. This story is full of holes, including a crazy gay Repub who ostensibly resigned, was supposedly begged to stay, and left for "personal" reasons (but is also insane).

Now one of the country's leading religious bigots has turned 180 degrees and saying it was a mistake. Nothing makes sense here. Don't believe a word from these people.

Posted by: Paul R | May 5, 2012 12:56:39 PM

10. are we in one of those alternate realities they postulate? or is Bryan Fischer an example of "The Three Faces of Eve"?

and has anyone ever told him about the theory of anyone who spells the name Brian with a 'y'?

just asking...

Posted by: mike/ | May 5, 2012 12:57:00 PM

11. If anyone needed proof that Fischer is batshit crazy, this is it.

Actually, I think these radio talk show hosts are on the air for hours and hours at a stretch, day in and day out and they just start babbling. They have no clue what they are saying and they don't remember from day-to-day what they've said. Why does anyone even listen to these morons? And they get paid for this? Sigh...

Posted by: Dev | May 5, 2012 12:58:06 PM

12. There has to be some logic in this, I just don't see it. Oh sorry, it's BF. Illogical it is.
    I don't trust BF no matter what he says.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 5, 2012 1:09:24 PM

13. oh wow...... LOL

Posted by: scott | May 5, 2012 1:10:23 PM

14. Uncle Gay wasnt fired. He quit.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 5, 2012 1:18:00 PM

15. Wake up Mitt! "He's just not that into you."

'He' being the Republican base.

Posted by: badlydrawnbear | May 5, 2012 1:20:20 PM

16. I'm getting the impression he just doesn't like Romney. I suppose it's more fun disparaging a Democratic president all day every day than a moderate Republican desperate to please everyone.

Posted by: anon | May 5, 2012 1:22:47 PM

17. "Bryan Fischer: Mitt Romney Shouldn't Have Fired Gay Spokesman"

I have to admit that when I first read this headline I almost suspected that Mr.Fischer was trying to soften the image of the Christian Right by withdrawing his previous objection to Mr. Grennell's hiring. I should have known better.

Could Mr. Fischer actually want Romney to lose in November? That seems hard to believe. Yet what other motive could he have for first saying Romney shouldn't have hired the man and now that he shouldn't have accepted his resignation? Possibly he thinks that an Obama-appointed Supreme Court would be more likely to render inflammatory rulings that would heat up the culture wars? I can't come up with any other possible answer.

Posted by: mary | May 5, 2012 1:23:13 PM

18. To Mr. Fischer the heretic is much worse than the pagan. The heretic is a traitor, the pagan is merely evil. This is why he hates Mr. Romney more than he hates Mr. Obama. He can't stand to see either one as president. I don't think he sees Romney as any better a choice than Obama. He sees this election as being lost already. His audience is as hateful as him and doesn't see anything wrong with what he is doing because they agree with Mr. Fischer - the election is already lost.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 5, 2012 1:36:53 PM

19. I hate to say this but he has a point. The social conservatives thought Bush was one of them. They don't trust Romney. If Bush had to pander to them, how much more will Romney pander to religious extremists if he's elected?

Posted by: Houndentenor | May 5, 2012 2:09:14 PM

20. This has everything to do with Fischer hating that Romney isn't a "christian" - because of that he will never really support him. Truth is Fischer is hardly "christian" himself.

Posted by: Craig | May 5, 2012 2:22:14 PM

21. Um, is this Fischer's bizarre and obtuse way of endorsing Barak Obama for POTUS? There's something here that I just don't trust. Heh.

I was having such a nice Saturday...now I'm just feeling perplexed and confused.

Posted by: jim | May 5, 2012 2:39:45 PM

22. I hear Fischer likes to take it in the back door from pastor Ken Hutcherson, another closeted homophobe.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | May 5, 2012 2:41:54 PM

23. How are we supposed to believe that Republicans won't negotiate with terrorists if they can't even keep from majorly caving in to the most obvious religious right nutjobs?

Fischer made Romney pee his pants, and then after Mitt caves, turns around and kicks Mitt in the nuts, and Mitt will still try to play all nicey-nice with people like this.

Profiles in courage, eh?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 5, 2012 3:14:08 PM

24. Fischer is both wrong and right. He was wrong to call for Grinnel to be fired simply because he is gay. He is totally right that Romney is unfit to be POTUS and will simply pander to any wingnut he thinks can get him elected.
    I look forward to the craziness that will be the GOP convention but will probably go snowblind looking at the audiance.
    It will probably will be good business time for all the gay hustlers out there too.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 5, 2012 3:28:34 PM

25. Fisher is always wrong; let's just hope he never says he's wrong since that would create a paradox.

Posted by: Johnson | May 5, 2012 4:04:53 PM