Laura Jane Grace | Music | News | Transgender

Tom Gabel, Lead Singer of Punk Band 'Against Me!', Comes Out as Transgender

Gabel

Tom Gabel, lead singer of the band Against Me!, is coming out as transgender, Rolling Stone reports:

T_gabelGabel, who has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years, will soon begin the process of transition, by taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.

Gabel will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, and will remain married to her wife Heather. "For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news," says Gabel. "But she's been super-amazing and understanding."

Gabel only told a handful of family and friends about her plan to transition before talking to Rolling Stone. Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it. "I'm going to have embarrassing moments," says Gabel, "and that won't be fun. But that's part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they'll be fairly kind."

Her full story will be in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone.

Said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick: "Tom's decision to live life authentically is a not only a personal step forward, but one that will advance the national discussion about treating transgender people with fairness. As more and more Americans get to know people who are transgender, they're coming to embrace and celebrate them."

Watch Gabel sing "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" earlier this year, AFTER THE JUMP...

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. Listen to the song "Ocean" off of the album New Wave. It's beautiful, and contains the lyric "If I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman."

Posted by: timothym | May 9, 2012 9:05:55 AM

2. Before The Ocean, he also did "Searching for a Former Clarity" that, if anything, was 100% about HIV/AIDS and could definitely be read as honoring Freddie Mercury. It's an absolutely amazing and heartbreaking song!

I always suspected from his music he may be gay or that he had some personal and direct connection to the GLBT community. I'm very happy for him to come out as TG and hope him nothing but success and happiness!

Posted by: Sam | May 9, 2012 9:34:02 AM

3. I hope they have two kids and build their home on the Gulf Of Mexico. That sounds nice.

Posted by: Brent | May 9, 2012 10:12:17 AM

4. Good for her! Happy to also know her spouse is also supportive! :D

Posted by: luminum | May 9, 2012 10:12:49 AM

5. "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" is not on I-tunes! I need this song!

Posted by: Brent | May 9, 2012 10:26:34 AM

6. wow! great stuff...wondering what comes after the transition. more power to ya!

Posted by: yikes | May 9, 2012 10:44:21 AM

7. Brent, I have listened to this song about 30 times since reading the article in the rolling stone and I don't even like punk rock. The song is just incredibly beautiful.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | May 9, 2012 10:48:27 AM

8. All the best. I wonder how her voice will turn out once all is said and done.

@ Brent re: building a home on the Gulf: nice!

Posted by: Rich F. | May 9, 2012 11:17:59 AM

9. I LOVE her solo stuff, and Against Me!'s earlier work. i saw her perform solo last month on the Revival Tour with Chuck Ragan, and had no idea that she identified as trans. that song linked above is SO good.

if you’ve ever been to an Against Me! show, you know that there are literally hundreds of shirtless, sweaty, young, heterosexual, punk, white males singing along, slam dancing, and hanging on the lead singer’s every word. Hopefully, with Laura’s brave announcement and transition, this will open up their minds about trans folks and what they’ve been taught to believe about gender.

Posted by: gogo | May 9, 2012 11:27:21 AM

10. I wonder how she will deal with the hormone situation effecting her voice. Wont it mess with her vocals?

Either way, rock on Laura Jane Grace.

Posted by: Thomas | May 9, 2012 12:25:51 PM

11. Never heard of them before this hit the blogs – "major rock band" I think not.

Posted by: foobar | May 9, 2012 12:54:50 PM

12. @Foobar

Someone needs to put down their deluxe edition Madonna album and actually go out and listen to other music.

I saw them way back in 2005 (ugh even saying that makes me feel old) and I'm not surprised at all. More power to her.

Posted by: Sam | May 9, 2012 2:29:03 PM

13. Wow--I think this is the first time I've read only positive and supportive comments when a TG issue comes up. And hats off to this site for using the proper pronouns in the report, unlike a number of other sites that have also been covering the announcement.

Posted by: Ty Nolan | May 9, 2012 3:08:33 PM

14. I've honestly never heard of them, but if they're as big as Rolling Stone says, I'm quite glad she came out publicly! Good for her, and good for promoting acceptance. :)

Posted by: Yuki | May 9, 2012 4:34:57 PM

15. I'm a big Against Me! fan (with the exception of that last crap album) and this trips me out to no end. Looking forward to see what comes next though.

Posted by: Dusty | May 9, 2012 5:17:29 PM

16. Who?

Posted by: Okbut | May 9, 2012 6:40:40 PM

17. Which is to say one’s identity isn’t always attached to what lies between one’s legs but so often what lies between one’s mind…

Punk all the way of course....

Posted by: scallywag | May 10, 2012 12:30:24 AM