Film | News

Trailer for Baz Luhrmann's 'The Great Gatsby' Arrives: VIDEO

Gatsby

F; Scott Fitzgerald's classic comes to the big screen, in 3-D gaudy Baz Luhrmann style, no less, with Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It looks spectacular. And I think Leo cuts a dashing figure. Visually perfect.

But Luhrmann's use of a modern soundtrack to tell an old story is laboured. The sound of the narrative's era is so rich . If they don't revive it for a new generation, it would be one hell of a wasted opportunity.
    But it has to be an improvement on Australia's plastic epic . Worst movie ever.

Posted by: Matt Lindsay | May 23, 2012 8:16:03 AM

2. I'm looking forward to it. I've liked all of Lurhman's films until Australia - so I'm eager to see if he can get his groove back. I'm not so concerned if he commits sacrilege on Fitzgerald's novel - has there been one success in 6 attempts? No, I'm more concerned with this being a successful take by a visionary artist ... and his vision does not have to merge perfectly with Fitzgerald's (the novel's still there); it just has to merge nicely.

You can't tell too much from a trailer. The look is interesting, if overblown. D'uh. Baz Lurhman, folks. The casting seems great. DiCaprio's a little past his prime, but might cut a fine Gatsby with the right amount vaseline on the lens. And we can't tell Anything about a film's music from its trailer. Stock music is usually used (and someone already pointed out this piece has been heard in many trailers). But yes, Luhrman is fond of using modern music in period pieces. No success at that, you say? May not be your cup of tea, but his biggest hits have done that brilliantly.

Great cast, fine director - I'm giving this all benefit of doubt.

Posted by: Zlick | May 23, 2012 9:24:35 AM

3. I was so excited about this...now i'm really desappointed.
    The music is awful and it doesn't fit the era at all,actually it would be awful even for a contemporary era movie.
    More than stylish it looks trashy.

Posted by: Lulu | May 23, 2012 9:42:22 AM

4. As a real fan of the book Im looking forward to any new cool looking version. I think it will capture the decadence of the decade before the fall beautifully. I cnt wait to see it.

Posted by: MrJ | May 23, 2012 11:27:48 AM

5. I fully recognize the talent and craft behind Luhrman's work, and he has a distinctive style. That said, I don't particularly like that style, particularly his use of contemporary music and, especially, that constant cutting from one shot to another. I can't recall any shots in Moulin Rouge that lasted more than 3-4 seconds, and watching an hour-plus of it is exhausting. His work is all spectacle and not much substance, kind of like the same feeling of cheapness I get from most music videos.
    That said, I will probably see the movie. Luhrman does create a stunning spectical, and does get good performances out of his actors. And the three leads -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan, two of whom I've always had a crush on -- are among the best working today.

Posted by: MichaelJ | May 23, 2012 12:38:16 PM

6. @Eric

Isla Fischer is Myrtle Wilson. Jordan Baker is played by Elizabeth Debicki.

Posted by: Chaz | May 23, 2012 12:44:39 PM

7. Looks like it'll be about as bad as the book

Posted by: david | May 23, 2012 1:49:21 PM

8. It will be a huge hit in the Hamptons.

Posted by: David | May 23, 2012 2:54:14 PM

9. exactly what MichaelJ said. Where's the soul?

Posted by: Stephen | May 23, 2012 5:47:38 PM

10. Well, to each his own - I loved Moulin Rouge!

Posted by: jhr459 | May 23, 2012 7:24:16 PM

11. Why? The original can't be touched. I bet the music won't be as good as when Nelson Riddle did it.

Posted by: Billy | May 23, 2012 8:21:00 PM

12. It does look visually dazzling and obviously aimed at a younger crowd which might explain the song and that it was shot in 3-D

Posted by: jaragon | May 23, 2012 9:05:48 PM