Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | News

Halperin: Obama Expected to Endorse Gay Marriage — VIDEO

Halperin

As noted this morning, the President is expected to speak to ABC News' Robin Roberts in an interview this afternoon. Pundits expect that it is to note the completion of his evolution on same-sex marriage, Think Progress reports:

"Every expectation that we will, within the next hour, be in a different world, where we will have a President of the United States who supports the legalization of gay marriage... The Vice President, I think, forced his hand. But even before the Vice President spoke on Meet The Press in favor of gay marriage, the President, I think, was headed in this direction even before the election. There was a lot of speculation he would wait until after he was reelected or lost, but I think the people around him all felt there was going to come a time where he needed to do this. It’s where everyone, or almost everyone, who works for him is. I think, and a lot of people think who have observed him over the years think, it is where his heart is. And I think when he does it – although there will be a lot of speculation with political implications – it’s just as likely to help him win reelection than hurt him."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Stay tuned folks.

Comments

1. It will be AMAZING if he really does it. Scary, because if we were to lose the White House and there is any data suggesting it was over this issue...that would suck! But it would be so emotional if he actually does endorse marriage equality. (I suppose the professional haters would just say, "What took you so long?")

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 9, 2012 2:02:26 PM

2. It seems to me that his endorsement of marriage, if he does, would feel forced.. seeing as how the media really dug into him this week about the issue.

Posted by: Emmy | May 9, 2012 2:06:10 PM

3. I've seen several sources that said the event was scheduled for 1:30 PM ET on ABC. It's now 2:07 PM ET and it never aired. Looks like Obama chickened out at the last minute. This is hugely disappointing, but not unexpected.

Posted by: Johnson | May 9, 2012 2:08:34 PM

4. I don't care if Obama comes out or not. That whole exercise is moot if he does not get reelected.

Posted by: kenny | May 9, 2012 2:09:43 PM

5. It's not a live interview Johnson. It's scheduled to be on GMA tomorrow morning, but I'm sure portions of it will be leaked/released today.

Posted by: Gary A | May 9, 2012 2:10:55 PM

6. *Has nightmare vision in head of Obama losing election and this being blamed for it*

*Predicts commenters saying "stop clutching your pearls"*

WELL I'LL CLUTCH MY PEARLS IF I WANT TO D*MN IT I'M F*CKING NERVOUS AS SH*T ABOUT THIS.

Posted by: Leo | May 9, 2012 2:13:54 PM

7. Johnson would be an example of the professional haters. It's perfectly clear from a quick Google search that the interview was not live, has been conducted, bits will appear soon, etc.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 9, 2012 2:15:48 PM

8. First off, I seriously doubt he is coming out for gay marriage in a pre-taped interview. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Secondly, if he does, why the f**k would he wait until AFTER the NC vote? Imagine the big difference if he came out for gay marriage on MONDAY? I'm with Pam Spaulding on this - I don't give a crap right now.

Posted by: KT | May 9, 2012 2:16:36 PM

9. I read the pundit's quote "I think the people around him all felt there was going to come a time where he needed to do this" as a subversive way of saying "We're noticing a drop in campaign donations from the gay community." Although i'm sure his campaign chest is wealthy, there must have been some eyes in the party noticing the drop of "gay dollar"-contributions in their collection.

Posted by: Daniel | May 9, 2012 2:18:12 PM

10. ................anyone else noticing that some gay folks on here utterly have their fingers crossed that he DOESN'T support it? After all, once he does how on earth are you poor souls going to be able to say "he doens't care about gay people?"

oh well. not my mess. one more benefit to being a proud liberal.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 9, 2012 2:18:47 PM

11. I'm sure he'll say the same thing that he always has - that he believe same-sex couples deserve equal rights and protections, but won't come out and say that means full marriage equality.

Posted by: Kieran | May 9, 2012 2:21:03 PM

12. If he loses the election over this, then it is just 1 more regular citizen supporting marriage equality, meanwhile the Mitt and Co will begin to put gays on the crucifix.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 9, 2012 2:22:25 PM

13. I'm hoping he doesn't not because I want to say he doesn't care, but because I want him to win re-election, and the fact is his supporting it is likely a net loser in the election right now. The people who hate us outnumber us significantly and the people who are not us but jsut like us don't care enough to make this a litmus test issue, so it won't sway their vote. This has the potential to take a lot of the evangelicals who can't bring themsleves to vote for a Mormon and were planning to sit out the election out to the polls. And then Romney gets to pick the next couple of Supreme Court justices, and DOMA is safe, and Prop 8 gets upheld. And a victory that was probably about 5 years away gets pushed back a generation.

Posted by: BGKev | May 9, 2012 2:27:30 PM

14. I'm delighted and energized by this unexpected news.

I feel he will win reelection on national security, health care and the economy, but I have to say this is a brave new world at last.

Posted by: ryan | May 9, 2012 2:28:29 PM

15. I don't get it. The morning after a landslide defeat, 61-39, in NC, Obama will stand on an the losing side of an emotional issue. For what? Obama doesn't make laws. Congress does. And to have a president taking the losing side of an issue that will surely galvanize conservatives, how will this help get him reelected?

And if we don't get him, we get mittens who has made his hatred of gays plenty clear.

Posted by: dms | May 9, 2012 2:31:38 PM

16. Political suicide. I hope Obama isn't this stupid!

Posted by: Pedro | May 9, 2012 2:32:57 PM

17. He better endorse SSM.......

As a Yankee and married to my husband of 23 years..but who is counting...OYE

More importantly IF ANY PERSON has a heart and viewed:
    Gay Man Marks Anniversary of Longtime Boyfriend's Death with Devastating Account of What's Happened Since: VIDEO

There can be NO EXCUSE not to comfort and secure peoples lives. This is America.

Posted by: anthony | May 9, 2012 2:35:14 PM

18. @Ryan, you are delusional. All the data shows that he is tied with Mitt, and the economy and healthcare is a net loss for him. If he does this, it's over! Say hello to President Romney. You people are completely divorced from reality.

Posted by: Pedro | May 9, 2012 2:37:18 PM

19. President Romney and a Tea Party Congress and Supreme Court.

I hope those psychological carpenters get those closets ready. It's going to get idological in teh ole USA.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 9, 2012 2:41:25 PM

20. Do not let this backfire on Obama. If he comes out in support of marriage equality, we need to really work to get him a second term. Voting, time and/or money people, that's what it will take. It will be a huge move if he does, politicians aren't exactly known for being brave or risky. So lets all be brave and start believing in hope again.

Posted by: anonny6 | May 9, 2012 2:43:44 PM

21. For someone who has been married for 23 years, meaning you are at least 40 year old. You either let your emotions take over your reasons or you re very bmud.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 9, 2012 2:50:00 PM

22. Might be trying to bait the Republicans into overreacting (as they love to do) and turning this election into one ALL about social issues, taking Romney's "strength" in the economy off the table and hoping his Mormonism freaks out enough evangelicals? A risky move. But it could pay off.

Posted by: George | May 9, 2012 2:51:45 PM

23. This will definitely take some of the sting out of yesterday, if it actually happens. If it doesn't, after all this speculation, it'll be putting salt into the wounds.

Let's get it done, Mr. President! We can win on this issue today --- if we have strong leadership!

Posted by: Ryan | May 9, 2012 2:54:01 PM

24. ThinkProgress has confirmed that ABC will be airing segments of Obama's interview on local ABC affiliates across the country at 3PM Eastern. (In 5 minutes)

Posted by: Aaron | May 9, 2012 2:55:14 PM

25. Think Progress has confirmed that President Obama has come out in support of marriage equality!!!!

Posted by: Aaron | May 9, 2012 2:57:11 PM