Bullying | Education | News | Pennsylvania | Transgender

Pennsylvania High School Teacher Shows Video Mocking Gay Student and His Transgender Prom Date: VIDEO

Swank

Jared Swank, a senior high school student in Hanover, Pennsylvania, says he was mocked by a teacher who shared a video she took of Swank and his transgender prom date to other students, WNEP reports:

Swank, 18, said his senior prom over the weekend was a memorable one. The openly gay student at Hanover Area High School said he and his transgender female date enjoyed dancing the night away, but on Monday he said his prom experience took an ugly turn.

“I went to prom. One of the teachers took a video and put it on the whiteboard here at school and other students saw it and made comments,” added Swank.

Jared’ s mom said he has been bullied since eighth grade and this alleged incident was just another example.

“It hurt him, it hurt him. He was embarrassed, he was chastised. As a matter of fact, we just came from the gas station to get a drink before we got here and some of Hanover Area students yelled out the window, ‘(expletive).’ So that’s what it’s done. It’s antagonized more bullying,” said mother Dawn Mendygral.

The motivation behind the teacher's showing the video is unclear.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a short period to load.

Comments

1. TJ doesn't post self-loathing cowardly rhetoric. Wise up, chump.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 4:29:33 PM

2. OK, so Rick is a meanie. But what he said about Swank is inarguably true. Basically, being a freak is a demand for attention whether it's as a campy pseudo drag queen or some ghetto trash thugling wannabe. If you walk into a high school wiff gole teef and you Eminem thang going on- do you think that anyone is going to care if you are gay or straight? Of course not, you're a cartoon and they will mock you.

Having said that, it's never OK for a teacher to facilitate or lead that.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 15, 2012 4:31:16 PM

3. TJ posts anonymously. If it is cowardly and self-loathing to post anonymously, then TJ is a coward. You can't have it that posting anonymously is bad, but posting anonymously as TJ is good, idiot.
    Littlekiwi is anonymous because he can't prove he is who he says he is. This has been pointed out to him and he is too stupid to get the point.
    Littlekiwi said he was going to permaignore me on one occasion and that he was never going to read my posts again on another occasion. He betrays knowledge of what I am posting in his posts. He has a crush on me. Sorry littlkiwi, I don't do hateballs.
    Littlekiwi comes on here to beat up people he views as less politically correct than himself. He chooses what he thinks is the most politically correct position he can, in order to beat up on others. He is beating up on them, because he never says anything in a corrective way. He always finds the most hateful disrespectful thing to say to a person SO THAT THEY WILL NOT CHANGE. He doesn't want them to change; then he couldn't beat them up any more. This is because he is a sadistic cyber-bully. Judge for yourself if what I say is not true.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 15, 2012 4:43:48 PM

4. What is this "freak flag" that everyone is waving? It's quite simple that if you deviate, even in the slightest, from what is considered the "norm," then you will be a target by those who have nothing better to do with their time, or who are extremely insecure with themselves. Those who attack are mere followers and cannot venture out of their comfort zone, ever. Those with a strong sense of self, like Jared Swank, are leaders because they do not have a problem showing their true selves to the world.

Further, we as a community, LGBTQ, must work on eliminating our lack of internal cohesiveness. It is this internal divisiveness that our enemies from without relish as a means of never getting any of us to work as a whole toward equality and full civil rights.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | May 15, 2012 4:45:17 PM

5. I think this has way to much traction

Posted by: GeorgeM | May 15, 2012 4:48:06 PM

6. Its a nice sentiment Sean, but you will always get the fems that hate the average acting guys because they think they are faking it to fit in, and you will always get the average acting guys who hate the fems because they think they are faking it just to make a scene and antagonize. Both are right on occasion, but not most of the time.

Posted by: Rovex | May 15, 2012 4:56:01 PM

7. Rovex: Munro insinuated that he was a popular jock prior to coming out. If he wasn't correcting people who presumed he was straight, which the emphasis he places on his own butchness indicates, then he was purposely cowering behind presumed heterosexuality. I'm boring and mostly average. But I'm out and proud and am quite vocal about what I am and where I stand. I can't control what strangers on the street think I am. But I won't lie to people to avoid confrontation or to avoid offending others.

Posted by: MateoM | May 15, 2012 4:59:40 PM

8. I'm amazed at the number of people who say his looks get him picked on. First of all, this is a free country and people can dress how they want. Sure, kids can and will be cruel but this wasn't about kids calling names, this is about a teacher holding this student up for public ridicule because he dared take a transgendered student to the prom and enjoy his night, you know, the way all the straight students did. Apparently this was such a crime that this teacher deemed it worthy of this destructive level of punishment. And for those of you who have not so skillfully written between the lines that he deserves what he gets for looking and acting femme, may I remind you (if you are gay) that if it wasn't for the drag queens at Stonewall we might still be cowering in dark seedy bars for fear of getting arrested just for being gay, and may I comment to you (if you are straight) that looking down on a man for looking and acting femme pretty much makes you a complete jerk because who are you to say how a man should dress and act. Thank you.

Posted by: Don | May 15, 2012 5:07:30 PM

9. nope, rovex. not even close. nobody is saying anything about "mincing queens" except for the insecure self-haters. there are plenty of gay men out there who don't embody certain things that ignorant bigots deem "stereotypical" - the difference is they have integrity and balls and in no way denigrate, nor distance themselves from, the gay men those bigots choose to mock and belittle.

duh.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 5:14:49 PM

10. The people who seek to enforce gender roles are the same people who seek to enforce speech, racial and other norms as well. They are people afraid of their own urges. They are afraid of behaving themselves in a way that they see others behaveing. They create a deceptive facade in the first place and find the behaviour they witness as threatening to their own self-control.
    They need to deal with their own problems rather than trying to correct behaviours that are quite natural.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 15, 2012 5:27:36 PM

11. Rick,

I have posted at Towleroad previously that I generally agree with your view that being gay should not be equated with being effeminate or weird. I also agree that too much of the gay culture is created by people who have an interest in equating "gay" with "weird" or "effeminate" and these gay cultural players foist that image on all of us.

So please listen to me, as a supporter of yours: You are not going about this the right way. If you want to persuade people, you do not minimize or excuse bullying by a teacher. You do not post flippant remarks about racial groups. You do not use needlessly inflammatory language.

Remember, you are in a cultural war within the gay subculture and those who shape gay culture and push the "gay as effeminate/weird" theme have more influence than you, a lone commenter at Towleroad. So you have to be mature and persuasive and under no circumstances can you appear to condone bullying, even if the other side is expert at bullying dissenters.

Posted by: Ben | May 15, 2012 6:48:22 PM

12. "I am not and was not self hating"

Well, good for you. You just hated the fem kid who, probably, couldn't help it. Again, good for you...

Posted by: BobN | May 15, 2012 7:23:37 PM

13. I am surprised by the number of people on here who think that "freakish" hair is rare on kids these days.

Posted by: BobN | May 15, 2012 7:24:11 PM

14. Reach for the stars Ben

Posted by: GeorgeM | May 15, 2012 7:50:22 PM

15. Talk about hypocrites if the teacher had taken video of two normal students dancing no one would say a word but take video of two deviant (other than norm) students dancing and show it and your a homophobe. While on the topic why is it every time someone shares an opinon that doesn't go with the GLBT party line they have to be labeled homophobic? Homophobic is fear of gays no one I know is afraid of gays they just find the lifestyle distastefull.

Posted by: Michael Lederman | May 15, 2012 8:12:59 PM

16. Talk about hypocrites if the teacher had taken video of two normal students dancing no one would say a word but take video of two deviant (other than norm) students dancing and show it and your a homophobe. While on the topic why is it every time someone shares an opinon that doesn't go with the GLBT party line they have to be labeled homophobic? Homophobic is fear of gays no one I know is afraid of gays they just find the lifestyle distastefull.

Posted by: Michael Lederman | May 15, 2012 8:13:00 PM

17. Scram Michael we've had enough trolls on this one

Posted by: GeorgeM | May 15, 2012 8:54:05 PM

18. Michael Lederman back again to lend his anti-gay views.

Michael, the definition of homophobe is:

Irrational fear, aversion, discrimination against homosexuality/homosexuals.

Since gay is not a lifestyle, thus finding a sexual orientation "distasteful" irrational, you are a homophobe. Being homophobic results in you being labeled as such. If you don't want to be labeled homophobic, don't be homophobic.

As for some of the others here, no-one saying that all gay men should act fem, or not follow whatever gender expression that fits you. If you're more masculine or average acting, that's totally fine. But we should SUPPORT our gay brothers and sisters who do not fit societal gender expectations. Period. They're still one of us. Which is what I see far too many gay men, mostly, not recognize. When you look down on a gay man for not being masculine enough, you're no different than the homophobes who look down on us. That's it.......no excuses for it.

Posted by: Francis | May 15, 2012 9:14:49 PM

19. Just want to say I wasn't a popular jock by any means! I completely stopped caring about what other people thought when I came out at 16. I realize my experience isn't everyone's, and that it is kind of unique. I stopped being teased about being gay AFTER I came out and was honest with everyone. I was really IDGAF-ish/flippant about it so it wasn't a big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I had my moments. Reading poetry about my boyfriends to my creative writing class, reminding my history class/teacher that gays were in the holocaust, all to the dismay of my very southern instructors.

Kiwi, REALLY shocked at the hostility. I usually am very TUNED IN to your comments, and even take my time to read them slowly because your so spot on most of the time. I was and am being completely honest about MY experience as a gay high schooler. It is what it is. Just because it doesn't line up with what you experienced, doesn't mean it can't happen. I have to ask: were you that glittery kid?

Also, you asked to see my face, click away. ;)

Posted by: Munro | May 15, 2012 9:36:59 PM

20. I also stand by the notion that a learning institution is not a stage,

Kids can be really cruel to each other for no reason at all.

Posted by: Munro | May 15, 2012 9:43:03 PM

21. Munro what ones your picture?

Posted by: GeorgeM | May 15, 2012 10:06:55 PM

22. The one thay says "At this very moment."

Posted by: Munro | May 15, 2012 10:50:11 PM

23. @Rick "Look, if you look and act like a freak, you are going to be ridiculed, regardless of sexual orientation, and I personally am thoroughly sick and tired of such freaks trying to use their sexual orientation as an excuse for their freakish behavior and claim that their sexual orintation is the cause of their being ridiculed when it is really just because of their freakishness."

What you call freak, I call his style. Who are you to judge the story here is he was subjugated to ridicule by a trusted teacher and his fellow peers. The teacher was in the wrong for what she did and all you can focus on is how he looks, not that much different from the teacher are you?

Posted by: Walter Fletcher | May 15, 2012 10:54:02 PM

24. Debated on doing this...but I am a local so here goes

Teachers name is Amy Hummer. Her husband is the football coach, and her father is on the school board, don't expect much action.

Everyone knew this kid was bullied, and any teacher with a functioning brain would know that showing a video of him With a transgendered date would only increase the problem.

For those commenters claiming that the kids looks were the cause of his being bullied....there are always many factors in a situation like that, but a TEACHER should have the brains to not make the situation worse.

Posted by: LocalGuy | May 16, 2012 7:13:41 AM

25. I don't know where some of you are from, but a guy having long hair is not really "freaky" anymore. Maybe you are from 1953. I have no idea. Regardless, this boy or any other does not have to put up with abuse at school. There's no excuse.

Posted by: Wendell | May 16, 2012 10:46:38 AM