Barack Obama | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Gay Marriage | Harry Jackson | News

Anti-Gay Bishop Harry Jackson Wants to Know if Obama Wants to 'Wipe Biblical Marriage from the Earth': VIDEO

Harry_jackson

Anti-gay activist and NOM ally Bishop Harry Jackson is leading a coalition of 176 religious people opposed to Obama's endorsement of marriage equality:

“We want to know whether he is going to use the bully pulpit of the presidential office to absolutely erase the image of biblical marriage from the face of the earth...“Voters need to know whether they have a friend or an assent, an enemy to an institution that God has ordained. Some of us have taken his statements as a declaration of political war against the venerable institution of marriage.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. IT's interesting that these people think that if you allow gays to get married, it forever and completely prevents any male and female to ever get married again.

Posted by: Randy | May 25, 2012 2:35:21 PM

2. Nice gold chain, jesus junior.

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2012 2:40:57 PM

3. I don't understand why this has to be an either/or proposition for these idiots. Why can't we all get married to the one we love, male or female? It should be so simple.

Posted by: jsb | May 25, 2012 2:45:42 PM

4. Why isn't this jackass going after adulterers or divorcees? They're the real ones damaging "biblical" marriage.

Posted by: Michael W. | May 25, 2012 2:47:40 PM

5. This guy is an idiot. Marriage in the tradition of the Bible has been long dead, it has constantly evolved with the times.

Posted by: Lankyguy | May 25, 2012 2:54:03 PM

6. If I send in $4 and a coupon, can I become a "Bishop," too? What credentials do these fools display? They are ignoramuses to a man.

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | May 25, 2012 2:55:27 PM

7. Everybody looks like a constipated clencher in that initial frame.

Posted by: Yeek | May 25, 2012 2:56:57 PM

8. if he anxious to maintain biblical institution
    does he want to bring back slavery. want to bet he wouldn't be keen to that.

Posted by: walter | May 25, 2012 2:57:46 PM

9. Don't you love how they all decide to call themselves "bishop". With which episcopate is he affiliated? What a bunch of asses.

Posted by: Mike | May 25, 2012 2:58:09 PM

10. How can we erase people like him from the face of the Earth?

Posted by: Jack M | May 25, 2012 2:59:44 PM

11. hyperbole much mr. jackson?

Posted by: alguien | May 25, 2012 3:06:19 PM

12. He's not an actual Bishop. He's not in apostolic succession; he has not right to the term.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | May 25, 2012 3:08:30 PM

13. biblical marriage is multiple wives and ok if youngggggggggggg (underage by todays standards)

so.........

Posted by: say what | May 25, 2012 3:09:13 PM

14. biblical marriage is multiple wives and ok if youngggggggggggg (underage by todays standards)

so.........

Posted by: say what | May 25, 2012 3:09:13 PM

15. @JACK M ...that's the question WE should be asking ourselves...cause that's what they want done with us. So...are we waiting for them to take the first step or are we going to make sure this hate stops right here, right now?
    What we need is an army of gays & lesbians with a mission and the determination to get rid of them before they can do that to us.
    The courts & legislature work painfully slow. The Black Panthers didn't wait around patiently...and if they had...blacks would still be waiting for their rights.

Posted by: Paul B. | May 25, 2012 3:13:53 PM

16. I do not hear Mr. Jackson repudiating the hatred against gays and lesbians, spewed by the minister in North Carolina, nor a rejection for the calls against putting gays and lesbians in concentration camps. Does Mr. Jackson agree with the minister's point of view, or does he reject it? How does he have time to attack Obama when he should be repudiating the repugnant views of the Baptist preacher from North Carolina? What Mr. Jackson fails to realize is that his fellow minister from North Carolina would prescribe similar treatment--segregation, incarceration, and starvation (through elimination of social programs)--for African Americans. Yet Mr. Jackson is too stupid to realize he's being used as a lawn jockey by white religious bigots. Stupid, stupid man.

Posted by: Lawn Jockeys for Jeebus | May 25, 2012 3:16:14 PM

17. It makes me feel really conflicted about the fact slavery was abolish

Posted by: Mark | May 25, 2012 3:16:31 PM

18. People full of hate (like those in the clip) always look dissatisfied, ugly, inhuman.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 25, 2012 3:24:52 PM

19. Jackson went on to state that he wanted to know if Obama felt that WWII studies would include the Biblically-sound defense that Hitler was "just doing God's work" or if Obama believes that being Jewish isn't a reason to be exterminated.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 25, 2012 3:28:49 PM

20. "...and starvation (through elimination of social programs)--for African Americans."

My family and most Black families I know have never received public assistance or food stamps. Maybe in your trailer park community that is the norm. How fortunate go got the spot near the dumpster. A Gay Racist is a B.tch Racist.

"It makes me feel really conflicted about the fact slavery was abolish

Yes, Mark, and your comment causes Black Gays to be conflicted about whether all White Supremacist F.ggots deserve marriage equality.

Y'all just had to go there, didn't you. So can I.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 25, 2012 3:29:36 PM

21. That sounds good, even though it's technically all been done. After all, even in the US, when a preacher does it, after they say "I do", the preacher says "By the power vested in me by the state of (insert state name)".
    "Biblical marriage" is done and over with. Now it's a government affair.

Posted by: Matt | May 25, 2012 3:34:03 PM

22. @DERRICK...I hear you're pissed. So am I.
    We're all angry here, so try not to direct that towards each other. Trash comes in all colors and it's easy to jump on the bandwagon...looking for someplace to put that anger & frustration. Please...not on each other!
    We've got a lot of hate directed at us and somehow we've got to allow that to bring us closer together. That anger I hear and feel is bubbling to the surface now and when we see these "people of god", black & white, calling for our extermination...it's unnerving. Take a breath and remember who the enemy is !!!

Posted by: Paul B. | May 25, 2012 3:38:50 PM

23. Really...do they ever ask dumb questions? I have sEen were ignorance does ask stupid questions

Posted by: wyocowboy | May 25, 2012 3:41:35 PM

24. Really...do they ever ask dumb questions? I have sEen were ignorance does ask stupid questions

Posted by: wyocowboy | May 25, 2012 3:41:37 PM

25. Yes, Paul B, and I hear you.

This is a strategy I've seen a minority of White Gays use against Black homophobes many time during these seven years I've spent visiting/ commenting on Towleroad.

The strategy is: you insult my right to civil rights due to my sexual orientation, and so I'll insult your race. It's a stupid and destructive strategy. And most of all, it shows a hatred for not only Black people but also for Black Gays.

Well, Paul B, I sure know how to return the hate after these seven years.

Just think of it this way. Let's say you're in Gay bar. The television news is on in the bar. There's a story about the Irish Catholic Bishop of New York and his anti-Gay statements.

Somebody in the bar decides to make derogatory remarks about Irish Catholics.

There are Irish Catholic Gays who over hear the remarks. What do you think the reaction of the Irish Catholic Gays would be? Silence. I don't think so.

I broke my rule: never read the comments on Towleroad that deal with race. Yep, I did.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 25, 2012 4:01:25 PM