Advertising | News

A Gay Candle Ad Intended to Make You Melt: VIDEO

Stdenis

Haven't seen an ad as hunky-romantic as this one from John Saint-Denis in quite some time. Obviously, one hopes for a part two. That Peter Calandra (above) sure knows how to sell a candle.

Here's the setup:

After a difficult day, Paolo rushed from the American offices in Torino, climbing up the hills to Montgenevre just over the French border. Phone dead, car stopping and starting, navigating road construction, he was going to be late for their anniversary dinner at their Palazzo.

Watch (briefly work-unfriendly), AFTER THE JUMP...

(via kenneth)

Comments

1. Nice tits!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | May 29, 2012 5:02:55 PM

2. not sure if this is hot or silly!

Posted by: samguy | May 29, 2012 5:13:15 PM

3. Just ordered the candles based on the sexy hunk Peter. He could sell me anything especially after showing me his fine ass. Use him again mr. Saint-denis

Posted by: Chip | May 29, 2012 5:46:30 PM

4. Advertising doesn't work on me (I'm no more inclined to buy candles now than I was yesterday, and the ability to create a wonderful ad does not in any way convince me these candles are somehow superior to anyone else's). But it IS a wonderful ad, and I very much enjoyed it. I regret that won't be adding anything to Saint-Denis' bottom line, but at least this bottom's line is "Thanks."

Posted by: Zlick | May 29, 2012 5:59:17 PM

5. And now, Light My Candle from Rent is stuck in my head.

Posted by: Brian | May 29, 2012 5:59:29 PM

6. You all liked the music? I'm glad; I really found her screechy. And who has a villa that you have to run out and get wine for? Seems like there should be a well stocked cellar. But I tend to over-analyze.

Posted by: Alan | May 29, 2012 6:18:25 PM

7. Alan, that is an apartment or condo in the West Hollywood area, pretty typical upscale Gay LA. It is your comment that is screechy-- read the others, watch the vid again, and look for the heart. (or stay screechy, it's your choice)

Posted by: Bob | May 29, 2012 6:22:56 PM

8. I'm glad one of the comments gave information on how to order.

After watching this ad mid-morning on another blog, I immediately Googled John Saint-Denis to no avail. That has probably changed by now.

I will be buying at least one of these candles. I don't care what the scent is. I love good candles, my favorite being Diptyque Cuir.

Posted by: AG | May 29, 2012 6:25:22 PM

9. I tried to order a candle from their website. The good thing about the website was that you could watch the ad in a larger space.

After entering all of my info, I learned you can't use a credit card directly. I couldn't be bothered going to a separate site just to make a payment. Seems like a lot of inconvenience, especially for a candle I've never smelled.

Posted by: Anon | May 29, 2012 6:46:19 PM

10. Bob, the beginning of the post said ". . . Paolo rushed from the American offices in Torino, climbing up the hills to Montgenevre . . . he was going to be late for their anniversary dinner at their Palazzo." Not everything happens in West Hollywood.

Posted by: Alan | May 29, 2012 6:54:05 PM

11. god imagine the smell of that place.. sex, lavendar, spa, fireplace, frankinsence..oh the shame...

Posted by: ajason495 | May 29, 2012 8:05:28 PM

12. After seeing the straight version, I'm disappointed that this version was not even as explicit as that one - the straight version shows the lacy sleeve/shoulder of the woman coming in.

Posted by: Sean | May 29, 2012 10:08:30 PM

13. Nice add. Love that model. But liked him better... more naked... in video for Johnathon Sheets. Check out video called Saturday Morning for Johnathon Sheets on youtube and vimeo.

Posted by: JWS | May 30, 2012 2:08:23 AM

14. Alan, I think what Bob meant is that even though it is supposed to take place in a European Palazzo, it was most likely shot in the Los Angeles area given that the company and actor are based in LA. The "Palazzo" also has some very typical features of many of the Spanish-style apartments built in the LA area in the 20's, 30's and 40's such as the tile work in the bathroom, door handles, and sconces.

Posted by: GregM | May 30, 2012 9:54:50 AM

15. That ad gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "hot wax". Then again...

Posted by: Bart | May 30, 2012 10:04:46 AM

16. What is happening to homosexuality?

That is Mission Revival. Perfectly done and updated, I might add, except for that ridiculous ottoman.

Posted by: BobN | May 30, 2012 10:28:38 AM

17. Eeewww. he looks like Lindsay Lohan's father.

Posted by: Stephen Moser | May 30, 2012 1:17:16 PM

18. OK, that ad made me think of something very cylindrical, but it wasn't a candle!

Posted by: Caliban | May 30, 2012 5:43:07 PM

19. I doubt there will be much dinner for them...so in the next video they should show other ways the couple uses the candles...

Posted by: CandleLuvr | May 30, 2012 11:37:42 PM

20. What's so wonderful about this clip is that it's still so far outside the usual gay-commercial-bilge that does a full stop at Lady Gaga and Britney Speers. These guys are slightly older, and, as beautiful as they are, wonderfully believable. However, I do agree—I could never get my place to look like that, but I guess that's part of the majgic of staging. Thanks, John, for a great gay image. I loved it. Perry Brass, author of The Manly Art of Seduction and King of Angels.

Posted by: Perry Brass | Jun 17, 2012 10:41:22 AM

21. ..This is too beautifully done to soil it with salacious and profane comments...but...Holy SH*T that guy has a rack on him!!!...JUST SAYIN'...jn

Posted by: thom | Feb 17, 2013 8:18:13 AM

22. I want the candles, That house and that Man! That Man!

Posted by: @himalrg | Feb 20, 2013 12:02:20 PM

23. Magnificat is actually the angel Gabriel announcing to Mary that she is carrying the son of God.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 21, 2013 9:37:01 AM

24. Great commercial and it "got me." However, The music is the Magnificat? -

My soul magnifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my saviour for he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid . . . . . . .

Really?

Posted by: Hamish | Mar 26, 2013 1:00:39 PM

25. The whole commercial is in such great taste, the fact that the music, apartment and the men would make you want to be a part of their life. I'm ordering these products and hopefully one of all those items may be part of the package when it arrives,

Well can can wish can't !

Posted by: EJC | Jun 23, 2013 3:49:47 PM