Adam Lambert | Music | News

Adam Lambert Makes Music History, is First Out Gay Artist to Hit #1 on Billboard Album Chart: VIDEO

Trespassing

Adam Lambert's album Trespassing debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart today and #1 on the Billboard Digital Albums Chart. It's Lambert's first #1 debut.

A_lambertAfterElton notes that this is historic: "Other gay performers such as Elton John and George Michael have hit #1, but only before they came out, and they haven't managed that honor since."

Lambert collaborated with Pharrell Williams, Claude Kelly, Benny Blanco, Bonnie McKee, Nile Rodgers and Sam Sparro on the album.

Yesterday, I posted a preview for Lambert's new video, "Never Close Our Eyes", a track written and produced by Bruno Mars and Dr. Luke.

Watch Lambert talk about the album, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good for him

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:05:38 AM

2. Good

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:05:52 AM

3. Good

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:05:59 AM

4. for

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:06:01 AM

5. Good

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:06:06 AM

6. for

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:06:09 AM

7. good for him!

Posted by: Lasatekas | May 23, 2012 11:07:25 AM

8. Great news. I got his first album and I thought it was really good. I'll check this one out too.

Posted by: MrJ | May 23, 2012 11:14:28 AM

9. And it's a great album too. I love it! Congrats Adam :)

Posted by: Lucas | May 23, 2012 11:26:42 AM

10. Great, but album sales are so low now, you need only get like 50000 sold to be #1.

Posted by: anon | May 23, 2012 11:57:49 AM

11. Congrats Adam!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 23, 2012 11:58:29 AM

12. Congratulations Adam. It's an awesome album. I've got it on my iPhone and listening to it every day.

Posted by: Bobby | May 23, 2012 11:59:10 AM

13. Woohoo! Congrats Adam! Well deserved!

Posted by: Top to Bottom | May 23, 2012 12:09:59 PM

14. Good news and about time. Too many gay artists have been marginalized or ignored by US radio. Hopefully this helps pave the way for many more to follow.

Posted by: IAN F | May 23, 2012 12:15:32 PM

15. I'm really happy for him. The album is great, better than the first. Cuckoo is my favorite song. Tell radio stations to play "Never Close Our Eyes." Pick Top 40 and Adult Contemporary around you.
    radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?format=top&s=R&sr=Y

Posted by: Bill | May 23, 2012 12:23:17 PM

16. Hollow victory. He debuted #1 with less than 80,000 copies sold. That's a very poor start and an indicator of a very slow overall sales week. Had this been a more competitive week, he would have tanked.

Posted by: ADC143 | May 23, 2012 12:34:32 PM

17. Good for him. Maybe now he can stop whining that the gays only support female divas and that openly gay artists can't make it big. I said it then, and I'll say it now, I buy music because I like it. If an openly gay artist makes music I like, I'll buy it. I'm not going to buy his album just because he's gay. Gay artists want to be treated like everyone else, as artists first, unless they somehow think the gay community owes him or her something. I do congratulate him, but wish he would get over himself and his victimhood that the gay community doesn't embrace him (in his opinion) as much as female artists.

Posted by: GraphicJack | May 23, 2012 12:44:58 PM

18. ADC143: That's more about the state of the music industry today than about Adam Lambert. Adele's phenomenal powerhouse sales have skewed the #1's on the chart for the last year, if you look at all the artists that have come in #2 to her, Adam's number is still very impressive for someone who isn't already a legit superstar like Rihanna, Carrie Underwood, Eminem, etc.

In fact if you look at this week last year, if it weren't for Adele, Seether would have come in at #1 with a total far less than Adam's.

It's a testament to the quality of his album and the grassroots buzz about it that he managed to sell more than my goddess Adele, despite him having no radio hit being played every hour on the hour on mainstream radio. Here's hoping radio wakes up and plays Never Close Our Eyes, it's a grower that's totally my jam right now.

Posted by: Lissy | May 23, 2012 12:45:30 PM

19. Good for him and he is a very attractive man but his screeching voice makes me cringe!

Posted by: Jake | May 23, 2012 12:48:40 PM

20. Talk about photoshoping and pancake makeup to fill the pock marks and acne scars....geez. Get real!!!!!!!!
    He wishes his face looked that smooth and clear. Try lazer therapy for your bad skin....you can afford it.
    Gurlina Please!

Posted by: bdc | May 23, 2012 12:56:40 PM

21. Congratulations to Adam. I look forward to listening to the album.

Posted by: Glenn I | May 23, 2012 1:17:52 PM

22. His album is actually very good and much better than his first one.

If you like fun pop/dance songs try Trespassing, Cuckoo, Naked Love, Shady, Kickin In, and Pop That Lock.

Kickin In like Fever from his first album acknowledges his sexuality. In Fever he sang about a male lover.

In Kickin In he sings about a drunk female friend who is setting him up with a guy.

For emotional ballads listen to Underneath and Outlaws of Love (its about gay marriage).

Runnin on the deluxe version is a great rock song.

Broken English is about his current boyfriend who speaks english as a second language (he's Finnish).

Posted by: Josh | May 23, 2012 1:18:09 PM

23. I'm happy for him, but lets be honest. Both singles released from the album flopped and the album only sold 78,000 copies. It's probably going to drop drastically next week.

#1 may seem nice in theory, but at the end of the day it doesn't mean much if the album doesn't have longevity on the charts.

Posted by: Tim | May 23, 2012 1:33:39 PM

24. you know if they ever did a remake of STAR GATE the movie he would make a great RA LoL

Posted by: Xzavier | May 23, 2012 1:37:51 PM

25. Hasn't Elton John had a #1 Album since coming out?

Posted by: ricardo | May 23, 2012 1:48:17 PM