2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Rachel Maddow Asks Why Romney Laughs About Anti-Gay Bullying, Abusing Dogs, and Closing Factories: VIDEO

Maddow_bullying

Why does Mitt Romney laugh when he's talking about his own anti-gay bullying, dog abuse, and closing factories? Rachel Maddow wants to know.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Let's not forget that it was Romney who told the "humorous" story about the time his dad closed plants in Michigan and a marching band played the Michigan song. (Or something like that. Even minus the disturbing "my dad put all the people out of work" aspect, it wasn't a real knee-slapper of a story.) Ah, the lighter side of massive unemployment!

Nobody put him on the spot that time. He whipped that little comedy jewel out all on his own.

He also bragged about liking to fire people.

I'm pretty sure Romney is really Mr Burns from The Simpsons before he got so old.

And no, Sparks, you aren't the only one who noticed the bizarre "air-tight dog kennel" defense. LOL! What? Did he give the dog a veterinary oxygen mask up there in his hermetically sealed capsule atop the car? And if it was air-tight, how did the dog's terror-stricken diarrhea get out?

He was really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Mitt-igating circumstances there. (Couldn't resist the pun.)

I don't have the slightest problem seeing Mr Warmth giving an impromptu performance as Willard Scissorhands in a homophobic incident in prep school.

Posted by: Caliban | May 11, 2012 11:29:17 PM

2. I meant to say, more forcefully, that the thing, whatever it was in exact detail, that Romney et al did to that kid a long time ago sounded violent and ugly. And violent and cruel.

The act, in more or less undisputed detail, is another pungent thing lurking in Romney's shadow. After numerous people recount, mostly absent disagreement, a sordid narrative like this you cannot explain it away. There is no explanation. A humble, public apology is the only thing a decent person would think to do.

Caliban: I wasn't sure, exactly, what you meant when you said you didn't have the slightest problem seeing the deed done. I think you meant that you imagine it in your head? Or maybe you meant it in another way.

I picture a dead look in Romney's eyes while he chopped at this kid's hair. Aside from how violent it was (could you imagine being fifteen years old at a prep school and being held down while a classmate chops your hair off with a scissors because he doesn't think it is right that a fifteen year old boy should have long, bleached hair?) I think I see this deadness in him sometimes when happen to watch him sputtering on about any random thing.

More better to listen to Obama sing Al Greene songs.
    Or give a speech.
    Too much about Romney repels. I tried hard to find something about him to like, but I couldn't.

Posted by: Marcus | May 12, 2012 1:38:47 AM

3. Unfortunately, a lot of Republicans are extremely sociopathic...i.e.- kind of mentally ill. It's just a fact.

Posted by: Geoff | May 12, 2012 9:24:58 AM

4. Shelley, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think I agree. In reference to the 'atta girl' comment, and the factory closure, particularly, it sounds to me like he's laughing because he still finds those incidents funny. While it may be hyperbolic to call him a sociopath based on this alone, he does display a striking lack of empathy. He seems to recall these incidents, even after all these years , from the same callous adolescent perspective he had at the time, without apparently ever having reflected on what the experience of the other people involved might have been.

Posted by: Hank | May 12, 2012 3:34:59 PM

5. Marcus, I had been looking at accounts of this on mainstream news sites, reading the comments, and arguing with the Mitt-iots who are trying to claim this is a made-up story planted by Obama's army of zombie minions. When I said I had no problem seeing him do it, that was bleed-over from defending the story's veracity elsewhere.

I don't doubt this story at all. Why should I? It's been verified by four different men who were there either as participants or witnesses, men who are ashamed to this day for their actions or lack of action to stop it, unlike the ringleader Mitt Romney who doesn't remember it or claims not to.

However, unlike you I don't think Mitt Romney had a "dead" look in his eyes at all, I think he was probably quite angry that someone DARED not to conform to his rigid ideals of how things should be. According to the article he repeatedly said things like, “He can’t look like that. That’s wrong. Just look at him!” My guess is Romney was both angry and THRILLED to punish John Lauber for his non-conformity and reinforce the status quo.

Posted by: Caliban | May 12, 2012 7:35:44 PM

6. Mr. Romney laughs heartily about his poor memory. I'm sorry, but I expect the President of the United States to know what he says, and to be able to remember What he says, and not to giggle every time he is caught in some stupid act or comment.

Posted by: Jerry6 | May 12, 2012 10:14:13 PM