2012 Election | Crime | Gay Marriage | North Carolina | Religion | Republican Party | Video

UPDATE: Men, Beasts, And Larceny: How The Other Side Is Gearing Up For Amendment One Vote (Video)

Rabon

As Bill Clinton robocalls North Carolinians to explain the importance of civil unions to families, communities, and businesses, the pro-Amendment One people are getting weird.

One week ago today was the Sunday designated by North Carolinian homophobes as "Marriage Sunday" -- a day when pastors would organize to inspire their flocks to cast votes against equality. At Beacon Baptist Church, which draws some 1,500 worshippers to praise each sabbath, Pastor Tim Rabon devoted his entire sermon to Amendment One. One of his remarks is getting special attention in the blogosphere:

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Washington, plus the District of Columbia, have already redefined marriage to include the union of any two people. May I just insert here: what is stopping them from refining marriage as between a person and a beast? We're not far from that.

But, really, if you're interested in hearing how homophobic North Carolinian Baptists discuss weighty matters in their natural habitats, it's worth listening to the whole sermon. Fascinating stuff. Example: Shortly after reading from Genesis, Rabon explains, somewhat gnomically, that the reason marriage is immutably between one man and one woman is that Jehovah created the institution on the sixth day of creation. Which sounds like the usual craziness -- until you realize that he's predicating the Baptist argument for Amendment One on a literal reading of Genesis, and therefore on Young Earth Creationism. That and much more is available AFTER THE JUMP.

Meanwhile, a 44-year-old mother by the name of Heidi Thompson was arrested Wednesday on her way to her home in West End for stealing anti-Amendment One signs out of people's yards. From WRAL:

"I didn't feel like I was stealing signs at the time," she said. "I just looked at it as picking up trash along the side of the road."

Thompson was driving with her 13-year-old daughter at the time, and she bid the girl assist in the thievery. She's now been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor:

"I know it's making me look like a bad parent, but we've taught that it's not right for men to be married to men and women to be married to women, so we stopped and picked them up," Thompson said. "Had I known it would be such a political issue, I wouldn't have done it."

... There is nothing political about the charges, [said Pinehurst Police Chief Earl Chipps].

"We don't weigh any favoritism one way or another in an investigation. We look at the evidence," he said.

Thompson, however, disagrees.

"I just think they're making a statement out me," she said.

NOTE: The sermon in the below video is now restricted and un-embeddable. You may still see it here

Comments

1. NULLNAUGHT - formerly H8STR8S?

Posted by: TJ | May 6, 2012 9:26:18 PM

2. Anything I write on this topic will get a response of 1) go die in a car fire, 2)just go away, Mary, or 3)You're a NOM troll, sooooo.....I'm staying out of this one!

Posted by: mary | May 6, 2012 10:04:44 PM

3. quite something coming from mr. doma himself

Posted by: t | May 6, 2012 10:22:52 PM

4. @Nullnaught: Do you understand why adults have the right to vote regardless of their sex, but babies do not vote and dogs do not vote?

Do you understand why an adult human can, for example (I'll take a hypothetical one out of millions of examples) take courses to become a real estate agent but a cat can not read through and sign real estate transactions?

If you DON'T understand these things(like this pastor doesn't seem to), it may be a lost cause to explain to you why an animal has aboslutely no way of making use of any of the thousands of legal issues involved in a marriage contract.
    If a man ends up in the hospital in a coma and the doctor calls his spouse, can his short, black, female, spouse make medical decisions for him? Yes she can. Can his tall, white, male, spouse make medical decisons on his behalf? Yes, he can. Can the doctor call the cat and ask it to explain on the telephone what its decisons are regarding the man's medical issues?
    If you answered yes, you've been watching too many cartoons and, like this pastor, are out of touch with reality.

One thing that the pastor's words show, though is that he really has NO IDEA how to participate from an educated perspective in this discussion.

Posted by: GregV | May 6, 2012 10:34:23 PM

5. TJ: Bingo. The name may change but the manic tune stays the same.

Posted by: Ernie | May 6, 2012 10:59:52 PM

6. @TJ
    Yes, I thought you knew already. I announced on a couple of posts that I could no longer hold that position in the face of all the straight people showing themselves to be allies sometimes with no personal stake in it that they name. The one fellow quit from the Boy Scouts on account of their policy. He didn't say anything about his personal experiences with friends or family so I don't know he has any motive but pure goodness. I surely hope that to be the case. So in response to many many good things I had no idea were happening around me until I sarted visiting Toweleroad.com I just felt I had to change my name to something else.
    I meant no deception. It means I have changed perspective.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 6, 2012 11:52:55 PM

7. Well this is not much related to Sexual Discrimination.

Posted by: Janna Tyson | Jun 4, 2012 3:41:47 AM