Gay Marriage | Martin Luther King, Jr. | NAACP | News

MLK Niece Alveda King Denounces NAACP's Support of Marriage Equality

Alveda King, a vocal NOM ally and the niece of Martin Luther King, Jr., is not happy that the NAACP followed Obama's marriage equality endorsement with one of its own.

KingSaid King, founder of King for America and Pastoral Associate for Priests for Life:

“Neither my great-grandfather, an NAACP founder, my grandfather Dr. Martin Luther King Sr., an NAACP leader, my father Rev. A. D. Williams King, nor my uncle Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. embraced the homosexual agenda that the current NAACP is attempting to label as a civil rights agenda. In the 21st century, the anti-traditional marriage community is in league with the anti-life community, and together with the NAACP and other sympathizers, they are seeking a world where homosexual marriage and abortion will supposedly set the captives free.”

Comments

1. (Audible sound of someone rolling over in their grave...)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 22, 2012 8:31:07 PM

2. She is a disgrace to the King legacy and everyone who really matters already knows that. She makes her living by disrespecting her heritage and cashes checks written by her peoples oppressors.

Posted by: Mickey | May 22, 2012 8:44:45 PM

3. At one point Alveda King explained Coretta Scott King's pro-gay attitude with the statement (and here I paraphrase): "Coretta Scott King is not of King blood, so she doesn't know wfat she's talking about when it comes to the civil rights battles that are in my family's blood."

Posted by: Eric Payne | May 22, 2012 8:53:00 PM

4. Saying civil rights is in her family's blood is almost as ignorant as her other statements. Hatred, and tolerance, are each attitudes that are taught and instilled. Neither is inherited.

What an idiotic sense of entitlement she has.

I feel bad for her offspring, who will one day have to live down HER legacy.

Posted by: sparks | May 22, 2012 9:04:19 PM

5. Says the woman with a relaxer in her hair. Please, get yourself out of bondage first.

Posted by: Mhmm | May 22, 2012 9:07:08 PM

6. @David Ehrenstein: I hope that she (and all of those like her) do NOT get written out of the history books. I want these people to be remembered and known for generations to come. Being hate-filled, ignorant monsters should be their everlasting legacy.

Posted by: Joe | May 22, 2012 9:09:43 PM

7. I never knew she was Roman Catholic and was associated with Priest for Life which is run by that conman and sick pervert Frank Pavone. The last I heard he was in trouble with his bishop over financial irregularities.

Posted by: BillyDee4 | May 22, 2012 9:20:07 PM

8. Shame.

Posted by: Ishaq | May 22, 2012 9:41:56 PM

9. MLK did NOT get rid of Bayard Rustin. He stood right next to him on the platform on the March on Washington.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 22, 2012 10:01:08 PM

10. @David Ehrenstein
    I was just repeating what my college history profesor said in class. After the march, there was a politician, I am not sure of this but I believe if I remember correctly from Harlem, who told Rev. King he was outing Rustin and smearing King with it if he didn't kick him out of the movement. If this is not so, excuse me for being misinformed. I assumed my history teacher knew his business.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 22, 2012 10:14:36 PM

11. NULLNAUGHT, you are correct. And another little known fact is that Robert Kennedy threatened pushed King to get rid of Rustin. Robert Kennedy was in cahoots with McCarthy when it came to the pink scare.

You should have heard the smear campaign on Bayard Rustin that was unleashed in the Huffington Post comments section recently. The HP comments have become bastions for homophobic attacks. They were claiming that Bayard had NOTHING to do with the march on Washington and that he was actually DIRECTLY responsible for MLK Jr.s assassination. These comments were not just random from some reader. They were clearly from a Swift Boat styled, well funded and professionally written campaign. It had "Pink Swastika" written all over it.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 22, 2012 10:46:29 PM

12. The flame bomb throwing racist trolls have been reported to Andy. Please avoid responding to them and let them starve to death from lack of attention.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 22, 2012 10:53:55 PM

13. I would think that Corretta Scott King is a better judge of MLK's thoughts than this niece.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 23, 2012 12:08:06 AM

14. @TAMPAZEKE

I;m not sure why their IP addresses wouldn't be noted and then banned.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 23, 2012 12:12:30 AM

15. "...in league with the anti-life community."

Wouldn't that be the black community(via the Democratic Party)? Tsk tsk.

Posted by: Patrick | May 23, 2012 1:11:35 AM

16. One of the greatest women of our era, Coretta Scott King, said clearly that the civil rights of African-Americans were worthless until gays had equal rights. We are all equal or no one is. This bizarre NOM associate should familiarize herself with her antecedents. She is missing the boat completely.

Posted by: rapture | May 23, 2012 1:35:33 AM

17. So tired of the blacks...

Posted by: wanka | May 22, 2012 9:07:13 PM

Monkey!!!

Posted by: dannson | May 22, 2012 8:48:56 PM

"...in league with the anti-life community."

Wouldn't that be the black community(via the Democratic Party)? Tsk tsk.

Posted by: Patrick | May 23, 2012 1:11:35 AM

Well maybe you queens should read about that white pastor who would like to ELECTROCUTE your ass DUMB RACIST SISSIES.......LOL!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | May 23, 2012 1:52:14 AM

18. MS. Alveda King, you do NOT run the NAACP and you do not speak for Martin Luther King. Crawl back under that rock where you belong.

Posted by: darkmoonman | May 23, 2012 1:58:44 AM

19. @Rick
    So tired of the blacks...

Posted by: wanka | May 22, 2012 9:07:13 PM

Monkey!!!

Posted by: dannson | May 22, 2012 8:48:56 PM

Now stop whining about why so many black LGBT people consider themselves black first and foremost!

And so far none of you white gay men here see fit to condemn these WHITE GAY RACISTS. That's because you are white first and foremost.

Posted by: elg/edwin | May 23, 2012 2:33:09 AM

20. @Elg/Edwin
    See Tampazeke and Brian in Texas above. I see whites attacking racist whites on this site all the time. I admit I have said nothing here, but some whites have and it is unfair to say none of us have.
    I do agree that I should say something every time I see that, but I don't.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 23, 2012 2:47:12 AM

21. It's so funny how she uses the terms 'the anti-life community' and 'anti traditional marriage community'. What b.s. misleading and downright incorrect word choice - asking to give the same marriage rights as heterosexuals to gay people DOES NOT mean someone is anti-marriage, quite the opposite! Especially given hetreosexuals' ability to marry as they always have will remain unchanged. I just think its so funny when conservatives try portray the desire for couples to make commitments under the eyes of God or the state as threatening marriage, when it's clearly going to result in more couples making commitments to eachother and marrying. But no...more marriages = threatening marriage in her logic, apparently...

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | May 23, 2012 3:11:12 AM

22. Why do we need to listen to her just because of her surname? If she doesn't like the NAACP's decision, she can just stop being a member. They'll be better off without her, anyway.

Posted by: Jack M | May 23, 2012 8:15:07 AM

23. Nobody gets to speak for Dr. King lady, nobody.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 23, 2012 10:18:39 AM

24. @ NULLNAUGHT;
    your point is diluted by your attack on the use of "queer". It is widely used in a positive manner amongst the queers, gays, and lesbians I know. Don't they count? If you don't like it, please don't use it.

Posted by: David R. | May 23, 2012 7:50:12 PM

25. Why do you need to have all these haters "evolve" for you? It's one woman. My partner loves me and my family and friends. That's all you need people. Get over it.

Posted by: Name: | May 23, 2012 10:28:36 PM