MS Lawmaker Andy Gipson Says Gays Spread Disease, Suggest They Should Be Put to Death

Gipson

Mississippi state Representative Andy Gipson attacked gays on his Facebook page following Obama's endorsement of same-sex marriage earlier this week, Unity MS reports.

Wrote Gipson in a Facebook post:

Been a lot of press on Obama’s opinion on “homosexual marriage.” The only opinion that counts is God’s: see Romans 1:26-28 and Leviticus 20:13. Anyway you slice it, it is sin. Not to mention horrific social policy.

Fb2

The Leviticus passage is the one suggesting that gay people be put to death.

He followed that up with a clarification to a commenter in the same thread:

Sorry I’ve been busy and not had a chance to reply. David, in addition to the basic principal that it is morally wrong, here are three social reasons it’s horrific social policy: 1) Unnatural behavior which results in disease, not the least of which is its high association with the development and spread of HIV/AIDS; 2) Confusing behavior which is harmful to children who have a deep need to understand the proper role of men and women in society and the important differences between men and women, and fathers and mothers; and 3) Undermines the longstanding definition of marriage as between one man and one woman, a definition which has been key to all aspects of social order and prosperity. Anytime that definition is weakened our culture is also weakened. And yes, that is also true for other conduct which weakens marriage’s importance in society.

Fb1

Writes Unity MS, where you can find Gipson's contact information: "Mr. Gipson needs to realize he represents all of his constituents. He should not cherry-pick which constituents he wants to work for. He should also realize his positions are neither popular nor Republican. LGBT individuals, couples, and families help pay Gipson’s salary. It’s important that he remember that."

Comments

1. Alan says

Gross. He looks like he needs a flea dip and shampoo wash for that greasy hair.

2. Matt26 says

A true Christian?
    For a heterosexual he’s been thnking a lot of gays and their families.
    He must be proud, when he got his hateful message out and to the net.

3. Dale says

@jeff … I was thinking the samething. I bet he was someone’s boy toy in high school.

4. Oliver says

i LOVE your headline…I took it as
    Ms Lawmaker Andy Gipson (such as Miss, or Mrs)

5. Oliver says

@Dale, in addition to no grooming supplies, it also looks like that suit once belonged to his grandfather, who might have weighed 60 pounds more than Miss Andy.

6. Wolf Sawyer says

Yaaargh. In that picture he looks as though he’s brainwashed and trying to fight but can’t.

7. andrew says

Andy Gipson is not the real enemy; that collection of myths, made up history, hatefilled rhetoric and contradictions called the “holy” bible is the root enemy.Shine the light of reason on that vile book anytime you get the chance.

8. JimmyD says

I just sent him the following note to his Facebook page:
    I hope you also are for the public stoning to death of one Bristol Palin. Unwed whore that she is.
    I think you should go public with that. Unless you’re one of those who picks and chooses which Bible quote suits your particular need.

9. says

Put to death? This is the solution of those who perpetuate fear and hate and who bring grief upon our planet. This was Hitler’s solution, as well. Perhaps, Andy should pick up a history book and read it – not just look at the pictures!

10. Lucas says

Well, Mississippi is one of the dumbest states in our nation. No real surprise here.

11. jamal49 says

Dismiss this cretin’s vile comments at your own peril. He’s the modern-day face of the Republican party. The Republicans might increase their majority in The House this November. They might gain majority control of The Senate. They might elect their candidate to The White House. The Republicans control the majority of States’ legislatures and governorships. There are millions of Americans who believe just as Andy Gipson does. They vote. One appreciates the snarky, bitchy comments here, but again, dismiss what Gipson says and believes along with millions of others at your own peril. And, make sure you have your passports ready. Just in case….

12. Rob roberts says

Please go to his facebook page and send him a note about how you feel.

Then report his page for promoting hate speech and for calling on gays to be put to death.

I told him I hope his wife was a virgin when they married, otherwise according to Leviticus she should be put to death.

13. Derrick from Philly says

“So much for that BLACK HOMOPHOBIA…Right?…LOL”

Yes, CHRIS. We need David Hearn or Ratbastard or Andrew(the new one) to come here and post something about these evil Black homophobes. Why, his grand-pappy couldn’t even spell “Gibson” correctly.

And this one, Gipson, must have gone to the same plastic surgeon as Michael Jackson. Look, not only did they lighten his skin, straighten his hair, and narrow his nose–they cut off most of his big lucious lips. You can’t eat grits with narrow lips like those. The grits’ll slide down at the sides of your mouth.

Disgusting Black homophobe…with a Dixie melooowdy…

14. Brad says

I wish I lived in a country where Christianists didn’t feel the need to legislate their religion to everyone else.

15. Lucas says

Actually, I’m going to correct myself. Studies show that MS is THE dumbest state in our nation. Trailing by a lot.

16. hotbeef801 says

ok that suit and his face need to be used a cum rag..dumb ass really that pic is so gay looking also

17. Tessie Tura says

My Mother made me wear my hair like that. In 1972. It was out of date then.

18. Mel Smith says

And Mitt Romney homophobic as$ attacked a gay student when he was in high school. I know, Mitt Romney must be a black homophobe, correct??

My role model, President Obama, is the first sitting president in history to support gay marriage.

Jay-Z said gay marriage is a human rights issue.

19. Rob roberts says

OH and by the way: there is a link on his facebook page to his wife’s facebook page.

I sent her a message about her disgusting bigoted question, then I asked her if she was a virgin when they got married, because according to Leviticus she should be put to death.

20. Rob roberts says

21. Mel Smith says

My last messages are for the hypocrites that visit this site.

The rest of you guys know I love you to death.

22. Mark says

Check out his Facebook page…he also has photos on there of his very young children in the woods holding full-sized rifles. Need we say anymore?

23. AJ says

Leviticus is the chapter that talks about selling your daughter into prostitution a few lines later. I know lots of broke dads that could use the money. Better get to my picket-sign-makin.

24. Disgusted American says

I sent him this message on Facebook:

Ohh How I HOPE wityh EVERY Fiber of My being – that 1..2 of your kids ARE GAY……..and even IF they aren’t you’re UGLY words ARE FOREVER CEMENTED ON LINE FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE…you can’t escape them!….yep…lets see how proud these kids are of thier dear ol’ Bigoted,hateful dad 20-30yrs from now…you ever notice- you NEVER hear a thing from George Wallace’s family? Hmmmmm, Wonder why!!!

25. Dastius Krazitauc says

Being a Good Christian, and making public policy based on Leviticus, he will of course legislate God’s Word and crush the sinful Mississippi shrimp and crab industry.

26. Chitown Kev says

@caliban

No you don’t.

and to the rest of my black brothers, y’all know y’all wrong…y’all know that the non-homophobic white community is gonna save all of us gay people (of any race) from those vitriolically homophobic black people, lol

27. Ricco says

“And yes,” says bigot, Andy Gipson, “that is also true for other conduct which weakens marriage’s importance in society.”

But par for the course, he and other bigots have so much less to say about the conduct of heterosexuals that weakens the importance of marriage in our society.

Here is the extensive list of offenses worthy of death according to Leviticus . . . but we never hear anything about them:

Leviticus 20 (New International Version)
    Page Options
    Add parallel

Show resources
    Leviticus 20

New International Version (NIV)
    Punishments for Sin

20 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Any Israelite or any foreigner residing in Israel who sacrifices any of his children to Molek is to be put to death. The members of the community are to stone him. 3 I myself will set my face against him and will cut him off from his people; for by sacrificing his children to Molek, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name. 4 If the members of the community close their eyes when that man sacrifices one of his children to Molek and if they fail to put him to death, 5 I myself will set my face against him and his family and will cut them off from their people together with all who follow him in prostituting themselves to Molek.

6 “‘I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people.

7 “‘Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God. 8 Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

9 “‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

10 “‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife —with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

11 “‘If a man has sexual relations with his father’s wife, he has dishonored his father. Both the man and the woman are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

12 “‘If a man has sexual relations with his daughter-in-law, both of them are to be put to death. What they have done is a perversion; their blood will be on their own heads . . .

then the infamous 13 verse . . . no need repeating it . . . we all probably know it by heart . . .

then it goes on:

14 “‘If a man marries both a woman and her mother, it is wicked. Both he and they must be burned in the fire, so that no wickedness will be among you.

15 “‘If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he is to be put to death, and you must kill the animal.

16 “‘If a woman approaches an animal to have sexual relations with it, kill both the woman and the animal. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

17 “‘If a man marries his sister , the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They are to be publicly removed from their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible.

18 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people.

19 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the sister of either your mother or your father, for that would dishonor a close relative; both of you would be held responsible.

20 “‘If a man has sexual relations with his aunt, he has dishonored his uncle. They will be held responsible; they will die childless.

21 “‘If a man marries his brother’s wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.

22 “‘Keep all my decrees and laws and follow them, so that the land where I am bringing you to live may not vomit you out. 23 You must not live according to the customs of the nations I am going to drive out before you. Because they did all these things, I abhorred them. 24 But I said to you, “You will possess their land; I will give it to you as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and honey.” I am the Lord your God, who has set you apart from the nations.

25 “‘You must therefore make a distinction between clean and unclean animals and between unclean and clean birds. Do not defile yourselves by any animal or bird or anything that moves along the ground—those that I have set apart as unclean for you. 26 You are to be holy to me because I, the Lord, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

27 “‘A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.’”

Out of 27 verses, which most if not all people who like to go one about Leviticus 20:13 if they had the nine lives of a cat would have expended all nine just on the death sentences in Leviticus.

“Dead man Walking and Talking.”

Sit down and shut up!!

Judge not lest you be judged . . . for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself . . . because YOU DO THE SAME THINGS!!!

These idiots think their Bible gives them license to judge others, but it does not . . . but tells them to love others, to love their enemies, to pray for those who use them, persecute them . . . to judge themselves so they will not be judged . . . to WORK out their salvation (which they can hardly be doing if they are so focused on what others are and are not doing) with fear and trembling!!

They are told that people are drawn to God by his kindness, his gentleness, his mercy, but when it comes to gay, in particular, seem ready to reserve the wrath of God and their hate for them . . . which means they are acting out of their own human bias, not Biblical understanding.

I swear . . . I mean seriously . . . if baby Jesus issued a send-one-person-to-eternal hellfire button to republicans and his loving followers on the right, every one of them would push that button, then try to pull a fast one on Baby Jesus by getting back in line to get another button.

28. Chuck says

There he goes quoting from the Old Testament again. How come when it comes to gays, that’s the only time these “Christians” want to acknowledge the OT? Wonder how he feels about God’s views on slavery or virgin brides, because they’re even more specific than the one’s about men betraying their natural inclinations.

29. Oliver says

i just reported his facebook page. they (facebook) don’t make it easy, but boy did it feel great!

30. says

Just for reference whenever some self-righteous @sshat comes up with some feeble-minded garbage to publicly vomit, go to http://www.evilbible.com. Of course, you can’t educate the unwilling, but it’s good for your own perspective. At the very least, we’re all getting familiar with fighting fire with fire.

31. Matt says

For being from Mississippi, he sure can give a thought response. Here’s mine.

1) You have no proof of your claims, and you know it. I’m not interested in your “voodoo” nonsense.
    2) If that’s so, then don’t expose American children to other cultures; their definition of “man” and “woman” vary and are vastly different from your “set-in-stone” idea. Moreover, in terms of “confusing” behavior, Christians have a monopoly on that. Your “god” is supposedly about love and tolerance, yet you people encourage hatred, bigotry, and prejudice. How’s THAT for confusing behavior?
    3)Marriage is far from an essential social institution. It does nothing. And if there were anything that undermined it, it would be people like you, who believe it has a machine like purpose that we must all fit into. Such a mindset creates cognitive dissonance, and is the reason divorce is so high. The one thing you Republicans will never admit is that it is a fatal mistake to involve yourselves in the lives of people. No, you feel it is your duty, ironically calling yourselves the party of limited government anyways.

In sum, you are nothing but pompous, arrogant scum who doesn’t know his place.

32. Steve says

The stoning to death of non virgins is also in Deuteronomy 22:20-21. Leviticus says women must be virgins when they marry, but doesn’t prescribe stoning.

Get ready for some half-assed non-apology about he is sorry “if he offended anyone”, that he of course didn’t mean it that way and that he has gay friends.

33. stevenelliot says

how old is that guy gipson? looks like 30, or 60, or maybe even a vampire. and that blazer! good god. I havent seen a piece of 100% polyester like that in years. at least hes not mixing his levitical fibers. Oh and the hair. Do they still make hair grease?

But honestly, you gays better just sit back and get the popcorn because the jesus freaks, and the corporatists, and the gun nuts, and the geriatric whitey’s…..they are gonna stir up all kinds of sh*t about whomever to get obama unelected. The shows just started. God help us

34. Oliver says

i’ve been thinking about this and it really would be so much easier to just put Andy to death.

35. carl says

Sanctioning the deaths of some of your constituents could be seen by some as somewhat extreme.

36. Fear loses says

God’s gentle people doing what they so much like to do: exposing their hatred and fear for all to see. Any wonder why the under 30s consider Christianity “the anti-homosexual” religion?

37. Vint says

I suspect Andy has an interesting legislative history. At a first glance, as chairman of the House Judiciary B Committee, he “persuaded a majority of members to support his amendment to allow criminal prosecution of anyone doing an abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected. ”

So I don’t think trying to reason with him is going to have much effect, even against something as illogical as combatting AIDS by refusing the institution of marriage to gay men.

38. Brim says

Yeah Leviticus 20:15 always cracked me up. Imagine that you’re a lonely sheep on a mountainside and one night a horny Bedouin tackles you. Then you – the sheep – have to fight off a Bedouin mob that wants to execute you for getting F’d in the A? Leave it to morons to construct laws like this.

39. Francis says

Reported his FB page.

He has a very creepy appearance and an obviously degenerate mind. It’s such a shame people like this continue to be elected.

40. Lucas says

He’s an idiot produced by an uneducated and brainwashed state. I dare him to respond to criticism of his comments – he’ll only dog himself a deeper hole. Enjoy your 15 minutes, Mr. Gipson.

41. Montie Moore says

I know Andy and if you knew Andy and where he is from, you would know he does represent his constituents, 99.99999% of them I’d be willing to bet. Smith County, MS is not a hot bed of homosexuality, gay or lesbian. Andy believes what he believes and although I happen to go against him on this one, he is still entitled to his opinion. As recently as 2007 the KKK held a rally on the Smith County Courthouse steps for pete’s sake. Just because your opinion is different from someone else’s doesn’t mean your opinion is the more correct one.

42. andrew says

@Ricco: You should print up that listing of biblical teachings and distribute it far and wide. You have clearly shown how hatefilled and bat s**t crazy that vile book some people call the “holy bible really is. Most people who say they “believe” in the bible haven’t read that list. They just know some exerps and sunday school lessons.

43. Darrell says

Was that photo taken in the 1950’s? Because his attitude certainly is still stuck there.

44. Darrell says

If you read some of his supporters comments on Facebook and look where they are from it pretty well sums him up. His constituents are just as screwed up as he is. Since Mississippi is the most predominantly backward state in the U.S.

45. Nino says

Let’s face what we know. This guys thinks a lot about gays because he fears he is one and/or he wants gay sex. This is swiftly becoming the oldest story in the book. The most homophobic rant I’ve heard in my life was from someone who came out to me later that day.

46. Michaelandfred says

The republican party, doubling down on dumb….. As soon as someone begins this argument with leviticus, my mind closes down. Would anyone in America take the advice of an afghani goat herder today, let alone from a bunch of goat herders from 3+ thousand years ago? Beyond idiotic.

47. says

A few words of clarification from a Gay Christian: The passage from Romans (actually, Paul’s letter to Roman Christians) is NOT a reference to Gay people!!! It refers to people who indulge in idolatrous hedonism or temple prostitution.

“Born eunuch”, a designation used by Jesus Christ in the 19th chapter of Matthew, is the term used in Scripture to describe what we call LGBT folk today. The Apostle Paul never uttered a word of condemnation against born eunuchs!

Most important, the Levitican code, a list of punishments meted out to the ancient Israelites for idolatry, only ever applied to ancient Israelites. It has NEVER applied to Christians.

The key sin that relates to both these passages is idol worship. How ironic that Mr. Gipson is guilty of this sin: He obviously worships the Bible instead of God! Contrary to the teachings of Bible bigots, they are not one and the same. Please stop treating Fundies as if they were experts on Christianity!

48. Mic says

“…Andy believes what he believes and although I happen to go against him on this one, he is still entitled to his opinion…”

EXCUSE ME????

Citing biblical passages that call for the Death of Citizens…

…IS NOT an opinion. It is a threat.

But thanks for playing Troll.

49. says

Looks like the coward didn’t have the conviction to stand behind his death threat against gay people once he began receiving some Facebook attention–the posts have been wiped clean. (Never mind that you can’t really wipe clean your Facebook history–we still know what you wrote a few days ago, even if your picture makes it look like you were in office circa 1950 and have views more appropriate to that time.)

50. justin says

Like so many of you guys, Darrin Stevens there has my gaydar going off the register, and it is only reinforced by those conspicuous ‘family value’ pictures on his fb page. That slick ‘every hair in place’ look: sunbelt swish circa 1964,

The moment any so-called conservative opens his mouth condemning gays, I automatically assume a very large closet. Someone needs to tell them that ‘reaction formation’ is considered a ‘primitive’ defense.

51. TomTallis says

You should not be allowed to run for office if you can’t tell the difference between the “principal” and “principle.” Get the tar and feathers.

52. Sarm says

Typical Christian barbarism. When will Christianity finally be treated as any other terrorist cult?

53. Jerry6 says

Boy, is HE cute. Bet he is great in bed. I would carry his luggage on a trip to Europe, any time.

54. Mark in Baltimore says

“This Andy Gipson call for my murder has really gotten me riled up. And if he hasn’t riled you, then I declare that you’re not thinking…This gent differs ONLY in style of dress and lack of facial hair from the terrorists of Islamic extremism and thus MUST be investigated and treated as a terrorist. He must leave his government post for his call for extermination of American citizens. If you don’t agree, substitute some other group for “gay” and see if you could easier tolerate his presence in state government. Say he were to call for the deaths of all Greeks in the United States? or better yet, to call for the deaths of all bicycled riders? Both calls are as idiotic and hateful as his heinous call for the murder of all gay people. And as a gay person I refuse to be murdered to satisfy his extremist religious fantasies. End of story.”

55. TNardi says

Usually when some bigot opens his big yap, I assume ‘bottom’ for whatever reason.

56. andrew says

@Tnardi: Mabye it is because you have no respect for bottoms. Why is that? Do you think that women and “bottom” gay men are inferior to real “top” men? You might want to analyze this prejudice.

57. Ladislav says

No question in my mind Andy was bullied in high school and most likely serviced the school jocks.

58. Grumbler says

I don’t think the bitchy comments advance to cause. Ad hominem attacks just strengthen the misconceptions of politicians like Republicans in general and Andy Gipson perhaps especially. What has begun to change the mind of America has been exposure to decent, normal, hard-working, respectful and respectable GLBT members who are solid citizens of society–people in committed relationships, fathers and mothers who are responsible parents, and now, at last, valiant members of the Armed Forces. Of course it would be unreasonable to expect that every GLBT person is in such a strong role-model position, but have no doubt about it, these are the people making a difference.
    Southern Baptists who see things the way Rep. Gipson does probably don’t realize it, but the musical programs at their churches would grind to a screeching halt if all the GLBT talent suddenly withdrew. I agree there does seem to be a correlation between the vociferousness of politicians’ attacks on gays and the hidden contents of their closets, but it is inappropriate to suggest that Rep. Gipson must be hiding something without proof positive. This could be a teachable experience for him, and where would any of us be without those teachable experiences!