Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | North Carolina | Religion

NC Pastor Wants To Build Electrified Fence To Contain, Starve And Ultimately Kill Gays: VIDEO

Worley

In a sermon blasting President Obama for his same-sex marriage support, Pastor Charles L. Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church in Maiden, North Carolina, offered a novel — and horrific — solution to the so-called gay scourge: build an electric fence and let "lesbians, queers and homosexuals" starve to death.

"I figured a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers," he says in his sermon, delivered on May 13. "Build a great, big, large fence — 150 or 100 mile long — put all the lesbians in there... Do the same thing for the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified so they can't get out… And you know what, in a few years, they'll die." Worley fails to understand that gay people are born, not made, and that there would just be more LGBT folk coming down the line.

He also that if he's asked who he'll vote for, he'll reply, "I'm not going to vote for a baby killer and a homosexual lover."

The not-so-holy man concludes, "God have mercy. It makes me pukin' sick to think about — I don't even whether or not to say this in the pulpit — can you imagine kissing some man?"

Throughout the sermon, many of his congregants can be heard calling out "Amen."

Watch Worley's wretch-worthy remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

(h/t to the Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate for posting the video on YouTube)

Note: Worley does say "drop some food" for the lesbians, which suggests perhaps he doesn't want to starve us all to death, but there's no mention of supplying an endless cupboard of sustenance, which is why, to me, this speech sounds like starvation.

Comments

1. Pastor Charles L. Worley,

Judge Not lest ye be judged.

Turn the other cheek.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Christianity, you should try it sometime, Pastor

Posted by: Damien | May 21, 2012 2:59:37 PM

2. Hateful is bad enough. Hateful and stupid is unforgivable.

But he's not proposing death camps. Just concentration camps. So that's all right, then.

Besides the line about air-dropping food to the lesbians, he says (at about 0:57): "...have that fence electrified, so they can't get out. *Feed them.* And you know what? In a few years, they'll die out. Do you know why? They can't reproduce."

Presumably, this is why he wants the lesbians kept in a separate enclosure from the "queers and the homosexuals." Otherwise, these people might, just to spite us, decide to reproduce. If we just let 'em live out their lives to the natural end, make sure they don't have children, and keep them away from our children so they can't recruit any new lesbians, queers, and homosexuals, then once this generation dies out, we'll never have to worry about this stuff ever, ever again.

Somehow, the fact that he only wants to isolate and cage people, not kill them outright, doesn't make me feel a lot better about him.

Posted by: featsoclay | May 21, 2012 2:59:55 PM

3. Unfortunately this isn't shocking--while I remain committed to being a Christian, the kind of beliefs promoted by this minister are far too common among those in many conservative traditions. Hinged on their commitment to a literal acceptance of biblical teachings, they advocate culture over love, and hate over acceptance and equality--neatly picking and choosing which "laws" are still in effect today! If they could step back and see that God is beyond one culture's view of him, they could possibly begin to act like the Christ they profess to follow.

Posted by: Lori | May 21, 2012 3:03:57 PM

4. For us Christians -- this is completely mortifying. How is it possible to go from Jesus to this?

That said, we couldn't see the size of his congregation, or know how many people are taking him seriously. The Westboro Baptist people are completely appalling -- but I'm not sure I want to expend much time and resources on a "church" that is essentially one extended dysfunctional family. I worry more about the polite-type, who quietly vote down marriage equality.

Posted by: Tracy | May 21, 2012 3:07:00 PM

5. So I think theres plenty there to get his tax exemption taken away. As part of the separation of church and state arrangement, churches get tax exempt status as long as they abide by a set of rules laid out by the IRS, among them is they are not supposed to tell their members who to vote for. Its not really enforced because christians tend to get away with what they want to on things like this, but might be worth it to try and bring some attention to the fact that hes violating his tax exempt status.

Posted by: Traveling Txn | May 21, 2012 3:07:28 PM

6. What in the? what a whack job

Posted by: Marky | May 21, 2012 3:07:31 PM

7. We can survive on semen

Posted by: Marky | May 21, 2012 3:08:17 PM

8. Some one needs to explain to Pastor Worley that it's straight people who keep having all those gay babies, so they're to blame.

Posted by: Ninong | May 21, 2012 3:12:37 PM

9. Here's information about churches' nonprofit status (and the rules they are breaking by opposing politicking from the pulpit), as well as steps to take to REPORT THEM to the IRS!! http://ffrf.org/faq/state-church/churches-and-political-lobbying-activities1/

Posted by: somebody | May 21, 2012 3:13:09 PM

10. What is more disturbing than this poor excuse for a human being, is that his congregation did not get up and leave the church. It means that there are a lot people in his town that believe what he is saying.

Posted by: Jerry6 | May 21, 2012 3:14:14 PM

11. The same youtube video, but with comments enabled for discussion...

Posted by: yoyoyobobyobob | May 21, 2012 3:15:13 PM

12. Thanks for sharing this guy's contact address! My letter to the pastor:

Dear Pastor,

I'm writing to you both as a fellow minister and as one of those queer homos you recently preached on. I understand that you lead your congregation in a strict interpretation of the King James Version of the Bible, a text which has been an unchanging beacon of Christianity for more than one fifth of the faith's history. I do have a few specific questions regarding your theology and would be most grateful for your guidance.

I don't live in North Carolina, but I do visit often and travel there often for work. I understand that your theology calls for death to homos like me. Do I need to visit your town or your church specifically in order to obtain a godly death, or are members of your congregation willing to travel to me in NC?

In addition to a career and my ministry, I'm the single father of three teenagers who are still in school. Are there Christian charities willing to parent them after my godly demise, or will I need to make my own arrangements for them? I understand that even though they are top students in their schools, my passing would leave them without anyone to pay their way through college. Do you have any Christian scholarship programs available to the children of smited queers?

There is an obscure OT passage (Ex. 20:13) which I'm struggling to square with your call to smiting. What is your logic by which you justify your call to gay-killing in light of this verse?

Because I'm not yet fully committed to taking you and your congregation up on your offer to kill me, I will be withholding some of my identifying details; but I do look forward to a productive e-mail correspondence with you. Kind thanks in advance for your spiritual guidance.

Rev. Steve
    Michigan

Posted by: SteveInMI | May 21, 2012 3:16:23 PM

13. Update to what I posted above - the IRS complaint form wants the nonprofit's employee identification number. I looked it up and it is: 591785709

copied from above so people don't have to search:

Posted by: somebody | May 21, 2012 3:22:48 PM

14. This man has the gall to call himself a Christian. His language is anything but Christ-like. Jesus said love your niehgbor as you love yourself. Apparently he hasn't heard that one.This is the kind of speech that gives Christianity a bad name and drives people from the churches. He should be relieved of his pulpit.

Posted by: carlsan | May 21, 2012 3:23:22 PM

15. Its the straights who keep having Gabies.....and There are MILLIONS of US...and we gay people also are privey to the 2nd ammednment Pastor.....so, just try it.....just try.

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 21, 2012 3:24:12 PM

16. The Address:

Providence Road Baptist Church
    3283 Providence Mill Rd
    Maiden, NC 28650
    Telephone#: 828-428-2518
    Fax#: 828-428-3358

Mailing Address:

Providence Road Baptist Church
    P.O. Box 507
    Maiden, NC 28650

Posted by: Ella | May 21, 2012 3:24:47 PM

17. shock and surprise, yet another HATE-FILLED, BIGOTED "CHRISTIAN".

Newsflash to the hate-filled bigoted preacher, try that with me and the last words you'll hear me say are LOCK AND LOAD.

Posted by: Bobbie Jo Justice | May 21, 2012 3:25:39 PM

18. Well, obviously his views are morally abhorrent.

But he seems to be struggling with something within himself. Noone has suggested he is interested in men sexually and yet he feels compelled to tell us how kissing men is disgusting. He doth protest too much.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable gay sex scandal he is involved in.

A bit like the one with evangelical preacher Ted Haggart where he claimed he went into a room with a gay prostitute ... and did nothing at all for an hour, and then left.

Posted by: Mike | May 21, 2012 3:27:22 PM

19. I've lived overseas for the last eight years and had another expatriate stint of 1.5 years earlier in life. When foreigners think of America, they have a lot of different images in mind (mostly positive, in my experience). But many people, if you asked them to imagine the essential American, would picture this guy.

Posted by: featsoclay | May 21, 2012 3:28:50 PM

20. Wow, has Hitler been reincarnated in this disgusting, vile man? It sounds like he wants to bring back genocide and build concentration camps. And he calls himself a Christian? Judge not lest ye be judged and do unto others as you would do unto himself. The last time I checked no one was rounding up the religious Christian "Reich". How can he sit there and call himself a Christian when all he does is preach hate? He should NOT be a Pastor. Disgusting.

Posted by: Therese | May 21, 2012 3:29:32 PM

21. I remember a man with similar views. His name was Hitler.

Posted by: Krista | May 21, 2012 3:33:04 PM

22. Wow. Just gotta say, as an Evangelical Christian, this guy doesn't speak for me or anyone else that I know. He's completely off-base, NOT speaking from scripture, NOT preaching the Gospel; that sort of talk should never be heard in the House of God. I want to apologize to all of you for that - he needs to be called to repentance for those words.

Posted by: rbj | May 21, 2012 3:37:13 PM

23. What an idiot.

Posted by: Matt | May 21, 2012 3:48:23 PM

24. The toxic fairy tale of religion is dying, and it can't come too soon. Someday sick, demented, hateful pukebags like Pastor Charles L. Worley will only exist in history books!

Posted by: bob | May 21, 2012 3:59:58 PM

25. I feel it is necessary that I speak out against this man, who doesn't represent me, my family, or my faith. I try to speak out against all hateful so-called Christians.. I know it is never enough.
    I ask, as always, that if there's more I can do.. please let me know.

Posted by: humbleman | May 21, 2012 4:10:01 PM