2012 Election | Colorado | Global Warming | News | Rachel Maddow | Science

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: The Moon, The Earth, And Sweet Turtle Love

Escher

ROADICON Bill Clinton hits the air in NC to decry Amendment One.

ROADICON With just a little bit of Republican help, a civil unions bill squeezes through the House Finance Committee in Colorado.

ROADICON The Connecticut legislature passes a medical marijuana bill

ROADICON Despite Scott Brown's claims to the contrary, Elizabeth Warren probably didn't ride her Native American cred to the upper echelons of academia. If she had, this guy would know about it.

ROADICON A rodent's secret to long life, shiny fur, and enormous testicles: Yogurt

ROADICON Excellent Discover interview with physicist Roger Penrose. He's gotten a little flaky in the twilight of his career, but he's still one of the most compelling interviewees in science. Plus, he dishes about his fruitful, semi-accidental collaborations with MC Escher:

... In my second year as a graduate student at Cambridge, I attended the International Congress of Mathematicians in Amsterdam. I remember seeing one of the lecturers there I knew quite well, and he had this catalog. On the front of it was the Escher picture Day and Night ... I remember being intrigued by this, and I asked him where he got it. He said, “Oh, well, there’s an exhibition you might be interested in of some artist called Escher.” So I went and was very taken by these very weird and wonderful things that I’d never seen anything like. I decided to try and draw some impossible scenes myself and came up with this thing that’s referred to as a tri-bar. It’s a triangle that looks like a three-dimensional object, but actually it’s impossible for it to be three-dimensional. I showed it to my father and he worked out some impossible buildings and things. Then we published an article in the British Journal of Psychology on this stuff and acknowledged Escher.

Escher saw the article and was inspired by it?

He used two things from the article. One was the tri-bar, used in his lithograph called Waterfall. Another was the impossible staircase, which my father had worked on and designed. Escher used it inAscending and Descending, with monks going round and round the stairs. I met Escher once, and I gave him some tiles that will make a repeating pattern, but not until you’ve got 12 of them fitted together. He did this, and then he wrote to me and asked me how it was done—what was it based on? So I showed him a kind of bird shape that did this, and he incorporated it into what I believe is the last picture he ever produced, called Ghosts.

ROADICON Remember to see the SuperMoon tonight. 11:34, ET.

ROADICON In East Asia, staying indoors is deforming kids' eyeballs:

Researchers have concluded that up to 90 percent of students leaving school in major South East Asian cities are suffering from myopia — the fancy term for when things look fuzzy at a distance. According to Professor Ian Morgan, who conducted the study, the average used to be between 20 and 30 percent.

That's an incredible rise, and it reflects a serious epidemic among South East Asian youth, Morgan explains ...

Morgan believes that the staggering increase in nearsightedness is the result of too much studying and homework, and not enough exposure to daylight.

ROADICON Rachel Maddow delivers a vicious smackdown to the Heartland Institute, which in its effort to deny the reality of anthropogenic global warming has contributed disastrously to anthropogenic global dumbing.

ROADICON Realizing its error, the Heartland Institute tries to make amends

ROADICON Courtesy of Buzzfeed: Eleven sounds you've got to hear before you die. For a sample, have a listen to a turtle making love to a shoe, AFTER THE JUMP. Ridiculously adorable, and adorably ridiculous.

Comments

1. It is absolutely HILARIOUS to watch libs defend : "When Aunt Bea showed me pictures of PeePaw, he had high cheekbones like all the indians do!"

Spread some jam on that Warren broad, because she's toast.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 5, 2012 7:02:31 PM

2. Heartland institute rang a bell. One of its affiliates or associates is David blankenhorn and his institute fr American values.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | May 5, 2012 10:39:34 PM

3. Actually Markus, it's not at all. I'm a quarter Cherokee (and legally registered) and 3/4 Irish. People routinely assume I'm German, going so far as to argue with me about my heritage. Once again, manufactured controversy...

Posted by: AladinSane | May 5, 2012 11:15:07 PM

4. Aladinsane, Elizabeth Warren certainly did not register herself formally as Native American with any official Native American registry because as the Washington Post said, she would not have qualified. And when she claimed to be Native American on her job applications, a child knows what she was up to. If your "great great great grandmother" had been married to an African, would you check "BLACK"?!

It's no "manufactured controversy". As I've read it was uncovered by the Boston Herald who who looking through her past papers (as newspapers will do looking for a story with politicians) and saw the "Native American" status claimed and said "What?!" The woman looks White Irish!

Posted by: MarkUs | May 6, 2012 1:33:38 AM

5. Reading comprehension is not your strong point, either of the article or my post. She shares the same quantum as the head of the Cherokee nation and it is entirely possible to look "white" while having considerable Indian blood.

Posted by: AladinSane | May 6, 2012 1:55:01 AM

6. WOW!

Posted by: essaywriter.org | May 6, 2012 6:55:26 AM

7. Your "great great great grandmother" having possible married a Cherokee on a birth certificate gives one "considerable Indian blood" and gets you on the Harvard faculty as a minority?

Posted by: MarkUs | May 6, 2012 8:30:10 AM

8. @Marcus,

Warren is from Oklahoma and has white Anglo Saxon Protestant background. And yeah, of course she lied about being a 'minority'; she knew this would go down really well with schools and employers affirmative action programs and the politically correct culture most big institutions public and private operate in. My simple and decent answer help prevent this type of widespread abuse is end all affirmative action, AKA reverse discrimination. It's existed for over 40 years in the U.S. now, and it's time to wind it down.

============

BTW: I'm 1/2 'white Irish' and there are a wide range of physical characteristics in my immediate family. I have brothers and sisters with light hair, dark hair, green eyes, gray eyes, hazel eyes, etc. People of European descent in particular tend to have a wide and diverse range of physical looks in hair color, eye color, skin tone.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 6, 2012 9:24:58 AM

9. The yogurt mice was already covered last month...

Posted by: Duff | May 6, 2012 11:23:35 AM

10. Brandon,

While I usually enjoy your posts, it appears you've made a slight error in your summary of the Maddowblog link. The linked article is by a contributor, Steve Benen, not Rachel Maddow. Just sayin' give credit where credit is due, my friend.

And yeah, the Heartland Institute is a nasty piece of work. It's the same "think-tank" that pushed shoddy medical claims supporting the tobacco industry.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 6, 2012 11:30:15 AM