Andrew Rannells | Ellen Barkin | Justin Bartha | Nene Leakes | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television | The New Normal

Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha Pray for Baby, Nene Leakes and Ellen Barkin Throw Down in 'The New Normal': VIDEO

Nn1

Yesterday, I previewed a clip from the upcoming Ryan Murphy NBC show The New Normal, starring Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha, about a gay couple that forms a family through a surrogate mother.

Here's a longer preview which features more of the storyline and a throwdown between Nene Leakes and Ellen Barkin.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Nn2

Comments

1. This looks great! I can't wait to watch. Good job NBC!

Posted by: theSENATOR | May 15, 2012 9:05:45 AM

2. Actually looks fun. But Ellen Barkin as a great grandmother? Oy, I'm getting old.

Posted by: ChicagoRick | May 15, 2012 9:11:22 AM

3. This is a series and not a TV movie? Maybe my type comedy is MTM or AbFab or Fawlty Towers because they don't say a line and wink at the camera: "Ah-haha. Did you get that?" Ooh, and a sassy black.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 15, 2012 9:13:31 AM

4. I want to hire Nene Leakes to yell at me.

Posted by: JJ | May 15, 2012 9:17:26 AM

5. It's a bit, um, white.

Minus Ms. Leakes playing the token sassy black woman.

I'm not mad at her for trying her best to succeed in a fixed system. I'm mad at the Hollywood establishment.

Posted by: New-new | May 15, 2012 9:18:17 AM

6. Isn't the spunky black thing way played out. I happen to have a black boyfriend, and he, nor anyone is his family, including his mother and two sisters, ever snap their necks while saying anything spunky,sassy or loud...Jesus, black people are just like everyone else. When are they going to show normal middle class, well spoken blacks on tv...But I guess it makes white people gut-laugh so they'll keep doing it...

Posted by: Pedro | May 15, 2012 9:21:10 AM

7. Justin Bartha is my new #1. Not because of this show. Because he's so freaking adorable.

Posted by: D.R.H. | May 15, 2012 9:21:51 AM

8. I saw a list of the upcoming TV cancellations yesterday: basically, everything. If you're not Mob Wife, a Real Housewife of, or a Toddler in a tiara, BYE. If Kristin Chenoweth didn't make it, this doesn't have high hopes for longer than a month or two.

Posted by: MarkUs | May 15, 2012 9:24:24 AM

9. I watched the trailer and this will be a pass.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | May 15, 2012 9:53:50 AM

10. I will watch and I imagine this show will grow on me. While everyone posting seems to find the black character cringe-worthy (but Nene Leakes has style) I find one half of the gay couple equally as cringe-worthy.

Sorry, don't know many walking, talking cartoon characters. Granted, this is TV and it is a sitcom but I'm over the prissy fellows as fathers to babies thing.

Posted by: Bart | May 15, 2012 9:55:04 AM

11. I will watch and I imagine this show will grow on me. While everyone posting seems to find the black character cringe-worthy (but Nene Leakes has style) I find one half of the gay couple equally as cringe-worthy.

Posted by: Bart | May 15, 2012 9:55:10 AM

12. It's sad that we live in a world where a non-actor like Nene Leakes gets to share screen time with Ellen Barkin. Yeesh. Let's get Snooki to do a project with Angela Lansbury.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 15, 2012 10:06:08 AM

13. i find that guys who find other gays "cringe-worthy" are often completely unaware of how everyone else sees THEM. just sayin'.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 10:08:55 AM

14. This looks really good but I'm sick of getting into shows that are going to be cancelled after two episodes. I'm still crying over GCB.

I'll still watch it, of course. "When you were talking about a homosexual elephant in the room... You meant David, right?"

Posted by: Dr Mortimer | May 15, 2012 10:10:51 AM

15. Looking forward to it? Oh hell yes! Looks fantastic! and LOL @JJ

Posted by: sparks | May 15, 2012 10:18:22 AM

16. Matthew R,

I've kind of gotten over it. Nothing you can do but cry. Did you see that Real Housewife at Andy Cohen's party? These gays do it all the time.

Posted by: Rowan | May 15, 2012 10:32:31 AM

17. "Throwing down" seems to be Nene's stock-in-trade.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 15, 2012 10:34:39 AM

18. I see another reminder of why I've given up on TV. These folks are physically attractive, certainly, but a bit too much "normal" looking for my taste. Is the show going to have characters singing and taking archery lessons? What kinds of work do these folks do? Something respectable I'm sure, maybe a trifle upper level management, or architecture, or nuclear medicine research.

Originality in plot and characters is unappreciated and dangerous. I'll stick with reading and trying to get through my endless NetFlix queue.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 15, 2012 10:54:41 AM

19. Why is Justin Bartha playing his character in such an effeminate manner? Bartha is naturally a very masculine, mainstream dude, so why would they make his character so unmasculine? Also, this portrayal of black women is not progressive.

Posted by: Javier | May 15, 2012 10:59:30 AM

20. Bartha is also straight.

Would you gay guys who get your panties in a bunch please man UP for once and stop being terrified of "effeminacy" or things that ignorant straight plebes call "stereotypes"?

It makes you look like wimps. Truly. You know who worries about "effeminate stereotypes"? One type of person only - insecure gay men who still live each day walking around looking over their shoulder worrying what The Straights are thinking about them.

stop living like that. it's pathetic.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 11:03:27 AM

21. and before some more ninnies come on to complain about "Stereotypes" I'll call your freakin' bluff right now - complain all you want, but you know you're not man enough to post any form of link or URL where you show what a "non-stereotypical" gay man you are.

there are some things that only miserable insecure "i wish i wasn't gay" homosexuals say. feel free to say them.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 11:09:44 AM

22. Just horrible. Leave it to Ryan Murphy to tackle an interesting subject with stereotypes blazing. Fey, materialistic, stupid gay guys? Check! Strong, conservative, mean grandmother? Check! Sassy, finger-wagging black lady? Check! This looks absolutely atrocious and I'm embarrassed that people will be laughing at gay people on NBC this fall. Shame on you, Ryan Murphy.

Posted by: Waspie | May 15, 2012 11:11:27 AM

23. Justin Bartha is about as straight as I am (i.e., not a bit).

Posted by: scooternva | May 15, 2012 11:13:59 AM

24. "fey materialistic stupid gay guys on tv" and insecure cowardly self-hating closeted wimps posting anonymously on online forums about the fey materialistic stupid gay guys on tv.

it's rather lovely.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 11:27:37 AM

25. Hi Anonymous LittleKiwi -- What does anonymity have to do with it? I'm not closeted. I'm just appalled at how this awful TV show is trading in stereotypes.

Posted by: Waspie | May 15, 2012 11:39:07 AM