Andrew Rannells | Ellen Barkin | Justin Bartha | Nene Leakes | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television | The New Normal

Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha Pray for Baby, Nene Leakes and Ellen Barkin Throw Down in 'The New Normal': VIDEO

Nn1

Yesterday, I previewed a clip from the upcoming Ryan Murphy NBC show The New Normal, starring Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha, about a gay couple that forms a family through a surrogate mother.

Here's a longer preview which features more of the storyline and a throwdown between Nene Leakes and Ellen Barkin.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Nn2

Comments

1. I'm not anonymous. Click my name, beotch :D

"trading in stereotypes"? meaning what? you don't think that gay men like this exist, or that their stories deserve to be told?

Im rather sick of insecure homosexual men complaining about "stereotypes" when they themselves don't have the balls to put a face and name to their comments.

stop worrying about what ignorant straight bigots think. it makes you seem like a coward.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 11:41:31 AM

2. I didn't crack a smile once.

This is one of the worst trailers I've ever seen. It's just not funny in the least.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 15, 2012 11:42:53 AM

3. Dear Little Kiwi --

Wow. I just checked out your website. Boy, are you a narcissist. Thanks for invalidating your opinion!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Waspie | May 15, 2012 11:57:37 AM

4. I think it looks great. I never cease to be amazed at how much the guys who post on this site hate things. Yes the guys act gay because they ARE gay in the show. Tune in to Happy Endings if you want to see a straight acting gay guy.

Posted by: Frank | May 15, 2012 12:05:13 PM

5. Hollow. Hollow. Hollow. Not one of these people, preoccupied with witticisms before they make their point, seems to have a shred of either sense or character. They talk way too fast without any sign that the dialogue has passed through their minds. They're all on automatic, and ya turn off automatic.

Mary had by far the best idea yesterday: what if these guys had a huge heart, lived in a small farming community and wanted to make a difference in the world by adopting kids who desperately needed love and care.

I know of a couple like this who have faced every challenge imaginable from country grocers who won't sell them food and feed, to community meetings to get them out of town, to the slow conversion of a few - then more - to their lifestyle. It's a REAL story where the fathers have to wrestle in tandum every day to feed the kids and keep the farm.

The New Normal looks like the new crap.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 15, 2012 12:10:59 PM

6. I'm not put off by the GAY stereotypes, but by the social and economic ones. Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, many people believe that gay men are materialistic and wealthy and have naturally "good taste"as it's defined from a consumerist viewpoint.
    Some are all that, of course, but most of us are more mundane and many are poor, fashion-witless and run all the way from screaming queen to uber-masculine in self-presentation. I don't think I'm kidding myself when I self-describe as "gently masculine" and I can't sing a show tune without creating a mess.

So I don't think I like the idea of this thing because it is simply the image of gay men that some ad researcher decided the target audience will accept.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 15, 2012 12:11:44 PM

7. @Uffda: exactly! You said it much more clearly than I did. thanks.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 15, 2012 12:13:47 PM

8. it would be wonderful to make a tv show about non-cognitive fashion-witless uncultured gay men on a farm.

even better if any of you with that sort of life make a youtube video about it so you can show people how non-city gays live.

it's just so odd that people complain about "not being represented" when they do everything imaginable to NOT REPRESENT THEMSELVES.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 12:24:46 PM

9. And thank you Mr. BROWN, enjoyed your remarks.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 15, 2012 2:44:48 PM

10. Share your stories, then. Thats the genius of the digital age. Don't complain that some guy in Hollywood isn't telling your story, tell it yourself.

Grab that camera, record the video, post it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 15, 2012 2:50:35 PM

11. well it is a sitcom, tv, not supposed to be too real, or not pretty..it is supposed to distract and entertain, while teaching a little bit. you can't change the world in 22minutes a night...

Posted by: mattman | May 15, 2012 3:01:14 PM

12. I don't give this much of a chance of success.

A promo for a new comedy is supposed to feature some of their best "laugh lines," and if those were it this promises to be a stinker.

Plus it seems a little plot driven when most successful modern comedies have been in the Seinfeld, Friends, Will & Grace mode, where a group of people is established and then things just happen to them. This seems rather preachy, more interested in selling their idea of "the new normal" than making an entertaining show.

And Nene Leakes can't act.

Posted by: Caliban | May 15, 2012 3:02:36 PM

13. that's some serious "show face syndrome" on rannells. years of stagecraft just doesn't translate well on tv. less is more, rannells, less is more.

Posted by: cruz | May 15, 2012 3:10:48 PM

14. If you're looking for truth or something of substance, you're not going to find it on network TV. That said, this doesn't look half bad (for what it is).

Posted by: Paul | May 15, 2012 5:40:15 PM

15. Complain, complain, complain!!

Posted by: PJ | May 15, 2012 6:55:35 PM

16. Some of the people here who do nothing but complain and are now complaining about stereotypes don't realize just how ironic they sound. Some could use the "b*tchy queen" stereotype to describe them.

Posted by: MEOW | May 15, 2012 8:16:19 PM

17. Pls no more meany leakes. can't act. horrible person.

Posted by: mike | May 15, 2012 11:15:13 PM

18. This comment thread has everything this sitcom has, except for the humor.

Posted by: Mestone67 | May 16, 2012 3:50:37 PM

19. Littlekiwi: ok I'll take the bait. Could you just STFU. At this point I suspect you're just trolling

Posted by: Rodrick | May 16, 2012 7:19:23 PM

20. It always erks me when another race speaks for an African-American! I know alot of "sassy black" people and well-spoken middle class ones at that! Ms Leakes is playing a character that she likes! This is not to say we don't hold jobs or we all snap our necks! I think gay couples on TV shows are "played out" but other people enjoy seeing them so I will turn if I don't want to see this! The Cosby show as well as others had black middle class families. So maybe the next show will be about that! I am seriouly tired of seeing a lot of shows revisited but maybe others aren't! Don't speak for me! My friend from church is a "sassy-white" girl(with a white husband, not a wigger for lack of a better word) who snaps her neck and tongue 24-7! But that is who shes is, not her race that makes her do that!

Posted by: iPinky | May 17, 2012 12:54:46 PM

21. Looks like a hurried and poor attempt to mimic the excellent Modern Family. 2D characters in 1D California. A huge pity that we have to put up with the Ghetto Grrrl stereotype yet again. And the self-absorbed gay stereotype. And the narrow-minded, bigoted, posh- lady stereotype. Next, the inevitable series of revelations in true US-telly stylee where people learn from their mistakes and improve themselves. Typically they get rich in the process (to a soundtrack of musak) so that they may acquire an obscene amount of material possession to validate their sad empty selves. The American Dream, people.

Posted by: Tel E. Vishun | May 17, 2012 6:33:49 PM

22. Lighten up! i can't wait for this show to start. My mom always laughs at me and my mincing boyfriend and my black friends. Oh and my slutty friend who got knocked up out of wedlock (Hilarious!) She's got it so right! She even joked that we should turn back the clocks in all our houses to the 1980s and have the general public treat us like a curiosity to be ridiculed and despised. Good job, Mom!

Posted by: Holy Fool | May 17, 2012 6:38:44 PM

23. WHERES THE MASCULINE GAYS??? STILL SO MANY CLICHES...

Posted by: Alan Busters | May 21, 2012 10:41:00 AM