Brian Brown | Dan Savage | Gay Marriage | News

NOM's Brian Brown Accepts Dan Savage's Dinner Debate Challenge

Last week, Dan Savage invited NOM's Brian Brown for dinner and a taped debate on marriage and the Bible at his home. Savage laid out some possible conditions, all of which Brown has accepted.

BrownWrites Brown in a blog post:

Dan -- I accept and will look forward to debating you at your dining room table. As I said in my challenge to you, anytime, any place.

While I appreciate the invitation that you have extended to my wife, she will not be able to attend. She is a full-time mom with seven beautiful children and an eighth on the way.

I have no objection to Mark Oppenheimer from the New York Times covering the discussion, nor to you hiring your own video crew to film the event, provided that I am able to hire my own video crew to be sure there is no creative editing of the discussion.

Not that a New York Times reporter would slant the news, mind you!

This will be fun!

Start popping the popcorn.

UPDATE: Savage responds.

So...

It looks like I'm gonna have to clear all the Catholic kitch out of our living room and dining room—my 5' plaster Jesus, our 3' plaster Mary, all my other plaster saints, the dozens of rosaries hanging around their plaster necks, the stack of disintegrating hymnals on the mantle, etc. Wouldn't want Brian to think there's something disrespectful about our collection. Our Catholic kitch is all family heirlooms. My late grandfather's rosaries, most of them prayed to pieces, were headed to the dump when I picked them out them out of the trash. But will knowing that my 5' plaster Jesus has been evacuated to our bedroom be more of a torment for Brian?

Details about the exact date and time of the Savage/Brown debate to come. The debate will be videotaped and released on YouTube. Stay tuned for more info...

Comments

1. Popcorn? Check. Pillow? Check. Patience with NOM? Check. This will be EPIC in the best sense of the word...

Posted by: Beto | May 29, 2012 8:03:00 PM

2. Id rather Brian having a family dinner with the Walhs and have him report on how the Walhs are different from other families.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 29, 2012 8:03:42 PM

3. I hope Brian Brown destroys him.

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 8:06:13 PM

4. I like how the WIFE can't show up because of the baby on the way. Wouldn't want to pollute the fetus with the gay.

I mean, really. Just get it out there - "I don't want my wife on the national news, looking like she is enjoying herself more with Dan Savage than with me."

Posted by: Electicon | May 29, 2012 8:07:05 PM

5. Dueling retards. How entertaining.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 29, 2012 8:07:07 PM

6. Ugh: 8 kids. What's wrong with adoption, fostering, or moderation?

Posted by: David R. | May 29, 2012 8:11:43 PM

7. Should be interesting. I won't necessarily say it will be fun, but it should be interesting, and likely will be a trainwreck in the end. As long as Brian is made to look like an idiot, which isn't hard since he does it on his own so easily and Dan really won't have to do much to expose that, then this will have been a success.

Posted by: Francis | May 29, 2012 8:13:50 PM

8. That is one busy turkey baster in the Brown home.

Posted by: PDX Guy | May 29, 2012 8:14:33 PM

9. This is going to be EPIC!

Posted by: Zlick | May 29, 2012 8:19:37 PM

10. I posted this to NOM's Blog:

Brian,

I already know how it will go. Five minutes of niceties, after which you change the subject every time Dan asks a hard question. You'll site data that is overwhelmingly discredited, ignore the real data, and throw in a red herring of some obscure research that was faked or irrelevant.

No matter how much of a fool you make of yourself, you will go home pretending you "won". Start saving your pennies, you're not going to have a paycheck from NOM much longer.

Posted by: Lavender Lounge | May 29, 2012 8:26:37 PM

11. @DavidR. Nothing, but Psalm 127:3–5

If one's into such things.

Posted by: Fred | May 29, 2012 8:28:40 PM

12. 8 kids? they aint all straight. Brown will one day have to thank Savage for saving his kid's life. Brown, if he continues the way he's been going, is destined to bury at least one of his children.

But this debate will be hilarious. One side has facts, logic, consistency, evidence and citations. The other has Maggie Gallagher's recipe for diabetes.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 8:35:14 PM

13. Hmmm.

If this first rejoinder of Dan's is any indication, I think Brian is going to...errr....towel the floor with the excitable Mr. Savage.

Come on, Dan, you can do better than *this*, can't you?

I mean, I get it- you just got called raising a on a busted flush but you are supposed to at least have entertainment value.....

Posted by: proprop8 | May 29, 2012 8:36:36 PM

14. I haven't liked the idea from the start. Brown will have been thoroughly coached by the religious rights biggest intellectual guns like Princeton's Robbie George. Will Savage be able to refute the New Natural Law Theory on which they base most of their arguments against same-sex marriage? Or biblical exegesis for that matter?

Posted by: candide001 | May 29, 2012 8:43:07 PM

15. So, Brian is going to Dan's house without his wife. Hmmmm.

Posted by: Bubba | May 29, 2012 8:44:12 PM

16. guys, remember this: "the religious right's biggest intellectual guns" are like the Republican Party's Most Well-Adjusted Gays.

You're still dealing with people who can only maintain their chosen opinions and stances by willfully ignoring legions of proven, backed-up factual realities.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 8:47:42 PM

17. I sure hope savage has enuf food on hand. Those NOM peeps sure are glutonous SOB's.

Posted by: stevenelliot | May 29, 2012 8:47:46 PM

18. I'm confused Dan, I was sure you worshipped yourself. This is no joke. Please save us from marriage. We don't want it. Who would have an affair with you anyway? Save us from this generation's mistake. Remember: One day you love someone. You will eventually hate them. Sadly, that's how it goes. Intimate sex becomes "the same sex" over and over....

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 8:51:27 PM

19. CLIFF, why the name change from JASON?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 8:57:20 PM

20. Please, please, please release the video unedited, Dan!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 29, 2012 9:01:24 PM

21. @littlekiwi I know they CAN be refuted, but is Savage on top of all the facts, research, philosophical theories etc. he'll need to mount convincing counterarguments? The fact that in the initial incident he didn't cover himself and pre-empt the inevitable attacks by addressing the New Covenant excuse Christians always use to justify not having to follow Levitican bans on shellfish, mixed fiber clothes, etc., makes me think he might be getting in over his head. It's a mistake to arrogantly dismiss the intellectual abilities of the anti-gay legal and philosophical luminaries of the religious right.

Posted by: candide001 | May 29, 2012 9:02:53 PM

22. there are no "convincing arguments" for people who choose to ignore facts so they can maintained their bigoted chosen opinions.

that's the frustration.

there are no intellectual abilities to the religious right. that's the thing - they have reasons for nothing and excuses for everything.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 9:14:47 PM

23. i'm sorry, i feel like this is more self-promotion (for both parties?) than anything substantive. what exactly do they hope to accomplish? do you really think that humiliating someone in public will get them to change their mind, or will get the public at large to change their mind? i'm not so sure. maybe the other "dinner party" with tony perkins and the gay couple in california (i believe) will be more productive (although i doubt even that).

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | May 29, 2012 9:16:52 PM

24. Imagine a logical discussion between these two? with Cameras, and a reporter....it's a Radicals Wet Dream

Posted by: John Normile | May 29, 2012 9:17:39 PM

25. This will be a bust for Savage who has repeatedly caved into the far right. The dinner will be amicable an both will walk away claiming they made headway but in reality, both will use the dinner and conversation against the other - all with great fanfare and picked up by Rachel, Fox, Anderson, Limbaugh, etc. Ridiculous.

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 29, 2012 9:28:49 PM