Brian Brown | Dan Savage | Gay Marriage | News

NOM's Brian Brown Accepts Dan Savage's Dinner Debate Challenge

Last week, Dan Savage invited NOM's Brian Brown for dinner and a taped debate on marriage and the Bible at his home. Savage laid out some possible conditions, all of which Brown has accepted.

BrownWrites Brown in a blog post:

Dan -- I accept and will look forward to debating you at your dining room table. As I said in my challenge to you, anytime, any place.

While I appreciate the invitation that you have extended to my wife, she will not be able to attend. She is a full-time mom with seven beautiful children and an eighth on the way.

I have no objection to Mark Oppenheimer from the New York Times covering the discussion, nor to you hiring your own video crew to film the event, provided that I am able to hire my own video crew to be sure there is no creative editing of the discussion.

Not that a New York Times reporter would slant the news, mind you!

This will be fun!

Start popping the popcorn.

UPDATE: Savage responds.

So...

It looks like I'm gonna have to clear all the Catholic kitch out of our living room and dining room—my 5' plaster Jesus, our 3' plaster Mary, all my other plaster saints, the dozens of rosaries hanging around their plaster necks, the stack of disintegrating hymnals on the mantle, etc. Wouldn't want Brian to think there's something disrespectful about our collection. Our Catholic kitch is all family heirlooms. My late grandfather's rosaries, most of them prayed to pieces, were headed to the dump when I picked them out them out of the trash. But will knowing that my 5' plaster Jesus has been evacuated to our bedroom be more of a torment for Brian?

Details about the exact date and time of the Savage/Brown debate to come. The debate will be videotaped and released on YouTube. Stay tuned for more info...

Comments

1. The comment level here is appalling. I guess it's all over. Infantilism rampant. The debate is a wonderful idea. What's not to like? And where does all the ridiculous fear come from? OK, here's my theory. Level-headed, smart people simply don't post, anywhere. Which is too bad.

Posted by: Lewis Gannett | May 30, 2012 1:26:39 PM

2. Hey Dan,

Book an Exorcist now; your home is about to be defiled by a self-loathing and destructive closet case. (What else but a cheap attention grab would motivate such a person to lie and lie and lie again about the truths about being gay). Surely, this is a sad and self-loathing man whose effects upon others could easily be labelled "evil". Sexually secure people don't behave like this. Greg

Posted by: greg | May 30, 2012 1:35:19 PM

3. Great. But if Dan Savage uses off color language as per usual, he will "lose" the middle. His points are better, more rational and even more "Chritian-charitable". He throws away his advantage to use colorful terms.

Posted by: Bill C | May 30, 2012 4:05:10 PM

4. Savage is not up to this. He'll raise his voice and use profanity. I'm told he knows scripture, but I doubt that he knows enough, or enough gay history, or the many arguments that would win this fight in three seconds flat.
    It's the job of liberals in commercial media to provide weak arguments and get their asses regularly kicked by cretins on the right. I'm sure that's what'll happen here, judging by the name calling and profanity Savage has already used.

Posted by: Wilberforce | May 30, 2012 4:57:11 PM

5. Really, it takes so little knowledge about the bible to demonstrate the hypocrisy of using it for civil laws--or for any rational argument. Either you believe in ALL PARTS of the bible, or you don't. Do they eat shellfish, do they stone prostitutes? And in the unlikely event they do, do they have the right to shove that crap down everyone's throat? Done. Next argument. I've been looking for one, single non-religious, non-animus, rational, logical argument against gay marriage. Never heard one from anyone. Dan, I'm behind you 100%. He's already a fool in our eyes. I hope you can show the foolishness of the arguments in some of his follower's eyes.

Posted by: Frank | May 30, 2012 5:14:50 PM

6. Did this ever happen? What's the update?

Posted by: Paul | Jul 22, 2012 1:31:01 AM

7. Dan Savage is a smart guy - he will make the other idiot guy look more foolish than ever.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 22, 2012 1:56:01 AM