I'm Gay | Jim Parsons | News

NYT: Jim Parsons is Gay

I could have sworn he was out already (maybe because of a September 2010 National Enquirer story about his engagement to his partner (see screenshot, AFTER THE JUMP...), but some folks are telling me that this casual NYT mention (on page 3 of a profile about his upcoming role in Harvey) is Jim Parsons' official coming out:

2_parsons“The Normal Heart” resonated with him on a few levels: Mr. Parsons is gay and in a 10-year relationship, and working with an ensemble again onstage was like nourishment, he said. As the production was ending last summer, he heard that the Roundabout Theater Company was considering a revival of “Harvey” — initially with John C. Reilly under consideration for Elwood — and last November the play’s director, Scott Ellis, asked him and Ms. Hecht to do a private reading of the work in Los Angeles.

If anybody can point to somewhere he's mentioned it (aside from mentioning his partner's name in a long list at an awards ceremony), please do so in the comments.

NE image, AFTER THE JUMP...

Parsons

Comments

1. Not a shock after the NE piece, but good for him. I love him to bits as Sheldon, plus I think he's quite sexy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in Ioneseco's "Rhinoceros" at UCLA in July. Info:

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 23, 2012 2:44:14 PM

2. BAZINGA!!!

Posted by: JSH | May 23, 2012 2:46:53 PM

3. Gay folks forget that many straight folks don't seem to know gay folks and don't really think about the world of discrimination that gays face. Until people come out and illustrate that being gay is not a strange foreign thing that impacts everyone, many people will continue to live in ignorance, fear, and hatred. I think this is why people get so angry when people who are more or less obviously gay don't come out and set the record straight (so to speak.) I also think the gay community needs to stop being so naive as to think that being out without coming out is enough. I'm talking to you AC! Like it or not, being out is political--see all the political news generated by marriage, bullying, equality. By staying in the closet, no matter how glassy, people contribute to the problem. I don't mean you need to have a parade, a simple shrug of the shoulders and acknowledgement would be fine. While I am upbeat about polls about marriage equality and acceptance, in the reality of the election booth, marriage and equality continues to get clobbered. The only way to change society is to be honest and to live out loud. Whispers ain't gonna cut it.

Posted by: dms | May 23, 2012 2:47:17 PM

4. Congrats, Jim!

Posted by: Francis | May 23, 2012 3:03:37 PM

5. Has anyone told Helen Keller? I think she may be the only one still in the dark about this.

Congrats, though. Honestly I thought he was already out.

Posted by: Caliban | May 23, 2012 3:19:11 PM

6. I just assumed he was out when he thanked his partner at the Emmy's. But again, it was the Emmys...so only gay people would've seen that. LOL

Posted by: wtf | May 23, 2012 3:19:53 PM

7. @ Brian in Texas: Johnny Galecki is straight, and he once gave a great answer to a very stupid question about rumors that he was gay: "I've never really addressed those rumors because I always figured, why defend yourself against something that's not offensive?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkhYxIPfTuk

Posted by: thomasina | May 23, 2012 3:22:44 PM

8. I'm surprised to read here that Johnny Galecki is straight.

Posted by: are you sure? | May 23, 2012 3:39:50 PM

9. Somewhere, there's a gay teenager reading about this who watches The Big Bang Theory, is a huge fan of the show, and now feels better about themselves or their ability to come out.

Thanks, Jim.

Posted by: Ryan | May 23, 2012 3:46:03 PM

10. Team Sheldon!

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 23, 2012 3:50:13 PM

11. Just because some housewife in nebraska doesn't know you're gay doesn't mean you've "come out" when some publication talks about it. He's been out for years. You come out to family and friends and maybe colleagues. After that it's just people learning about you and your life.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 23, 2012 3:59:56 PM

12. Uggggahhh, I HATE that guy and his HORRIBLE show. HOW DARE PEOPLE COMPARE IT TO THE IT CROWD!

Cool that he's gay though, I guess.

Posted by: Fenrox | May 23, 2012 4:18:19 PM

13. Gosh... I dunno... that wasn't a direct quote from him... He may *still* not be out! I rather agree with the posters who have said he's just been living his life without hiding it and the media has been the one tiptoeing around it.

Posted by: topdawgbombadil | May 23, 2012 4:41:00 PM

14. Gay celebrities count on the media tiptoeing around, so no, living your life openly but not saying you are gay does not mean someone is out. That is the glass closet. When Jim thanked his partner at the Emmy's, there was no way of knowing who he was in Jim's life, so that doesn't count either. It's not like Matt Bomer, who made it clear that he was talking about his partner when he thanked him a few months ago.

Posted by: Rae | May 23, 2012 4:51:57 PM

15. Galecki is straight and a good supporter too. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of why would I argue over being called something that is not offensive in the first place.

Posted by: Jeff | May 23, 2012 5:00:50 PM

16. Vatican newspaper editor accused of smearing rival writer with rumors of gay affair: "The alleged plot has been revealed in a controversial new book that portrays the Vatican as a hotbed of jealousy, intrigue and underhanded factional fighting."

Nobody hear Brutus screaming, jealous queens.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz1vjFcVojG

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | May 23, 2012 5:03:35 PM

17. Damn spell check!!!!!!!!

Nobody hear but us screaming,vjealous queens.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | May 23, 2012 5:04:09 PM

18. Johnny Galecki is straight... He was banging Kaley Cuoco for years, but they never admitted it until after they broke up.

Posted by: Erin | May 23, 2012 7:50:23 PM

19. Thank you to the earlier poster for commenting on homophobia in "Big Bang Theory" scripting. There was a line uttered by Christine Baranski about two male characters' being in an "erstwhile homosexual marriage" where the comment was clearly intended to humiliate and insult the male characters. It amazes me, given some of the people involved in that show, that that line got both written and performed.

Anyway, it's awesome that Jim Parsons has come out. It is truly meaningful for someone to publicly make an unambiguous statement about being gay or being in a same-sex relationship. I don't buy this "he never was 'in'" nonsense: If you **avoid the topic in interviews**, like Sean Hayes did (very carefully, for a long time), and Jim Parsons also did until now, and Anderson Cooper continues to do, you are not out.

Barry Manilow: It's your turn.

Posted by: Kansas | May 23, 2012 7:57:56 PM

20. He is a really funny guy. I wish him and his boyfriend Todd all kinds of good things. And it is good that he is "officially" out, but is there anyone with a pulse who didn't know he was gay?

Posted by: andrew | May 23, 2012 9:19:52 PM

21. I thought Jim Parsons asked his boyfriend to marry him after one awards ceremony and that was reported all over the place.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | May 23, 2012 9:47:02 PM

22. @ Rae

Bomer took a lifetime to come out. For some reason the media tabloids, blogs and all reporters left him off the hook when it came to that. He was photographed with his children but there were never questions about his partner. Ever since he became famous, I found out through the comments section but there was never any rumor made by a blogger. There was even a piece about his partner and how he chose to have kids, but there was never mention of Bomer. I still don't understand why some people like Anderson Cooper get a lot of pressure to come out and others can go about their lives in peace. Maybe it does help to marry someone with influence in the media.

I agree with some people here who believe Parsons was already out. There was no need for him to make an announcement Aiken-style. The problem is that whenever a celebrity comes out, they are immediately regarded as advocates, but that doesn't mean they want that role.

The point of being casual about this is that they're implying that being LBGT is not the most important thing about them. It's certainly relevant, but it's not what defines them. Some people just want to live their lives and not be considered as a "gay doctor", "gay news anchor", "gay musician". I respect that and we all should.

Posted by: stranded | May 23, 2012 9:53:23 PM

23. @ Andrew

It's precisely snarky comments such as "is there anyone with a pulse who didn't know he was gay?" is what bother people.

This thing about the gaydar pisses more people off than you think. You can't pretend to know what goes on in someone else's heart and mind. It's plain rude and offensive, IMO.

Unless you knew him first hand, then you are entitled to make such comment. If you knew him from his show, as I do, then you were making assumptions.

In all honestly, even if his character comes across as flamboyant, to me, I can separate fiction from reality, but apparently some people can't.

Posted by: stranded | May 23, 2012 10:04:46 PM

24. I'm surprised that Andy has not made a mention of Queen Latifa's casual self-outing last weekend at Long Beach Pride.

Posted by: stranded | May 23, 2012 10:14:02 PM

25. I had no idea he was gay, but I'm glad to know he is.

"Didn't he thank/mention his partner during his first Emmy acceptance speech years ago?"

@Brian NYC: He thanked his director who is "a wonderful partner" and then said he loves "Mom, Julie, Nathan, Parker, Todd Spiewak, Melissa McNeely...."

I watch a speech like that and have no clue whether someone is gay, straight or bi.
    First, "partner" can mean anyone you jointly work, play or deal with in ANY capacity (when Jane Lynch thanked "my wife Lara," there was no ambiguity). In this case, his partner was a work partner, not his romantic partner. And when he DID mention Todd Spiewak, it was in the middle of a list of names whose various relationships with him (other than the word "mom") would be completely unidentifiable to me and nearly any other viewer.

I hope that the next time he wins an Emmy, he will be both kissing and thanking "my husband Todd."

Posted by: GregV | May 23, 2012 11:33:02 PM