Lawrence O'Donnell | Missouri | News | Republican Party

Lawrence O'Donnell Talks to the Missouri GOP Lawmaker Who Came Out, Asks Him Why He's a Republican: VIDEO

Odonnell_wyatt

Lawrence O'Donnell spoke with Missouri GOP state Rep. Zach Wyatt, who came out of the closet this week in a speech to Republican colleagues. O'Donnell talks to Wyatt about his motives for coming out and given his party's stance on LGBT issues and its support for the "Don't Say Gay" bill, how he can be a Republican.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(h/t Think Progress)

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Convienient cowardliness. He should be proud. Repugnicants never learn.

Posted by: Ishaq | May 4, 2012 3:06:10 PM

2. @Littlekiwi
    You have left me little to say, except perhaps that he makes me very sad.
    and hahahaha! That made me litterally guffaw.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 4, 2012 3:13:01 PM

3. My friend's aunt earned $16991 past month. she is making money on the computer and moved in a $584700 condo. All she did was get fortunate and put in action the directions laid out on this web site.... is(dot)gd/6kJUeB

Posted by: joanna | May 4, 2012 4:07:00 PM

4. So if this dude had decided to continue in the Missouri legislature, would he still be in the closet and would he have voted for the bill? I love when O'Donnell brings up the goat quote - Wyatt kind of pauses for a minute, trying to think of a valid excuse. Wish O'Donnell had pressed him more on that - and I wish Wyatt had the guts to attack the bastard who said it. Guess not. Hope he enjoys Hawaii - since they have civil unions, they probably will have gay marriage within a couple of years - something his GOP colleagues will make sure does not happen in Missouri anytime soon. (And I'm sorry but seriously - only January?)

Posted by: KT | May 4, 2012 4:08:34 PM

5. seriously... i find it hard to believe that anyone in his age group is just now "dealing" with his gayness. you could have seen my eyeroll from space when i saw that last nite.

anyway... the real meat of that interview was when he dealt with the goat sex comment.

I wish I were a 16 yo Tenn HS student and this bill passed. I would talk about gayness in every class and dare them to arrest me.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 4, 2012 4:12:14 PM

6. Closet? What closet? Exactly who does he think he was fooling. Every time he opens his mouth it's like Paris in the spring.

Posted by: Wilberforce | May 4, 2012 5:10:45 PM

7. A gay Republican is like an abused spouse that says with her husband even after he has killed one of her children. He is to be pitied, not respected. All Republicans share the responsibility for the epidemic of gay youth suicide that has been brought on by the republican party's war on gay children and gay families. A war on children that Representative Zachary chose to ignore. He's just another 'Uncle Tom' willing to sacrifice his own people for a place in the 'big house.' You disgust me Zachary Wyatt. I hope your embarrassment for the damage you've done lasts a lifetime.

Posted by: eric | May 4, 2012 6:00:14 PM

8. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I may not understand the thought process that leads a gay person to identify politically with the Republicans. But if we're ever going to see real, meaningful and lasting change in the USA's cultural and political attitude toward LGBT folk, we do need gay Republicans to exist whether we understand their mindsets or not.

Posted by: Craig S | May 4, 2012 6:04:38 PM

9. SHOWS HOW SCREWED UP IT MAKES PEOPLE TO HAVE REPUBLICAN VIEWS -- this guy is Gayer than Christmas, and just now faced it.

Posted by: Bob | May 4, 2012 6:20:33 PM

10. ROTFLMAO!

Kiwi and Wilber get perfect tens from the judges.

Posted by: Mic | May 4, 2012 11:08:27 PM

11. Gay Republicans are like Black republicans and most Republicans... they have one thing in common... they are rich! In most cases, I do not think a politician must come out. However when they vote for anti-gay issues they join so many politicians who are hypocrites... most are Republicans, but a few are usually Southern Democrats.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | May 5, 2012 8:42:06 AM

12. re: the "we need gay republicans" comments.

a gay republican is useless if they're not promoting LGBT Equality and taking a stand against the historic intolerance of the GOP. GOProud, for example, are as useful as tits on a fish and only mildly less arousing.

it's no use being a gay republican if your way of being a gay republican is to distance yourself from "liberal gays" or spout illogical and factually incorrect nonsense like "i didn't know i was gay until january"

he knew his whole damn life. he denied it, and is still struggling with that reality. why? because of the pressures and bigotries of the......people he's still aligning himself with.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 5, 2012 1:06:12 PM

13. So he comes one once he, as such a cute bear who sounds like a major queen, decides to move to the much more liberal state of Hawai'i, to study. To state where generally sexuality is not an issue, to a place which allows unions.. (GRRRR that the Hawaiian legislature chickened out on marriage), to a place where he can be comfortable in his own (presumably furry) skin. I grant I was 26 when I came to the conclusion that I was gay, but that was another era, one before he was born. What happened to all the progress since then. Oh, yes, he's in Missouri. (That's why I left Missouri for California- Land of the fruits and nuts (I'm gladly included)). But even MY Dad was friendly with the two bears who moved next door to my parents home. Especially when it turned out one of them took care of him in the hospital. So progress is being made in Missouri.
    But Missouri is still the state which tried to set up a stem cell research fund (a la California) but had billboards claiming that "Women will get pregnant to abort to sell the stem cells" despite a specific ban on that. I saw the billboards myself in St. Louis. Fortunately I read the bill and explained it to my parents, who then decided to vote for the bill rather than pay attention to such crap.
    As Rep Wyatt says in his own interview, a good colleague who says allowing civil unions or gay marriages would met men will marry goats, is OK; despite that fact that such statements can be construed as bullying. Also why is it never women would marry goats. I think a few women might think a goat would be better than their current husband. So he has a long way to learn to put such hatred down. BTW the only goat I'd marry is a very horny hung one with lots of money to spoil me. (just joking)

Posted by: Steve | May 5, 2012 1:51:38 PM

14. well, the reality is when folks say "Gay marriage" then want bigots to picture "two men having buttsex", as opposed to "two women bumping muffs in a steamy shower" because bigots prey on the "ick factor" - a knee-jerk response insecure straight men insist that they have to male-male affection, so as to not appear "gay".

*massive eye roll, yet again*

and yeah, then we're gonna marry goats. despite the fact that animals can't sign marriage licenses. because things like facts and logic dont' matter to conservatives. plebes.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 5, 2012 1:59:37 PM

15. No matter how far in or out of the closet you are, you still have a next step. --Author Unknown

Posted by: Mark | May 6, 2012 12:00:15 AM

16. 1) He isn't anymore politically trite or puppetish than MANY Democrats;

2) How could anyone claim they didn't know this guy was gay ?

3) He could just as easily have said nothing, kept his big purse of a mouth shut, and had no positive impact at all - is that really what the posters here want ?

4) Ironically, the impact he's having, it's more than what all of you posting here will ever have. Now THAT'S really FUNNY. And makes your comments look like what they are - petty fagoty jealousy !

You ladies protest too much.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 6, 2012 4:29:55 AM

17. he is making a massive impact, actually - he's living proof that "grown up republican" makes you less intelligent than your average liberal-raised 8 year old.
    YAY!