Comic Books | Discrimination | News

OMM Boycotting Marvel And DC Comics Over Gay Characters

LavenderBatmanWe knew it was only a matter of time: One Million Moms, the right wing group who boycotted J.C. Penney for hiring Ellen DeGeneres, is now trying to rally its anti-gay army against Marvel and DC Comics for including gay characters in their fictional universes.

With regard to Marvel and the upcoming gay nuptials of Northstar, OMM gripes claims that gay men are using superheroes as a proxy to "brainwash" impressionable youth:

Children desire to be just like superheroes. Children mimic superhero actions and even dress up in costumes to resemble these characters as much as possible. Can you imagine little boys saying, "I want a boyfriend or husband like X-Men?"

This is ridiculous! Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models?

They don't, but do want to indoctrate [sic] impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light. These companies are heavily influencing our youth by using children's superheroes to desensitize and brainwash them in thinking that a gay lifestyle choice is normal and desirable.

And as for DC, which announced this week that one of their major characters will soon come out, OMM also says that the company is "using superheroes to confuse them on this topic to raise questions and awareness of an alternative lifestyle choice."

Naturally the group is calling on its followers to flood Marvel and DC with hate mail. Something tells me that the companies, both of which are receiving heaps of publicity and praise for their new stories, are going to throw OMM's screeds directly in the trash.

Comments

1. "Why do adult gay men need comic superheroes as role models?

"They don't, but do want to indoctrate [sic] impressionable young minds by placing these gay characters on pedestals in a positive light."

Sort of the way, during time of war, toy companies (earlier twentieth century wars) sold war-related toys and, later, video game companies (more contemporary wars) sell war-related video games to get kids into being in war. I guess the gays figured the whole propaganda thing out. The substantive difference is that gay propaganda isn't trying to "convert" people into being or doing anything other than accepting who others are being and doing. Can't say the same for the war-mongering propaganda.

Posted by: William | May 24, 2012 8:46:49 PM

2. I really wish Monica Cole and her minions (not millions) would boycott themselves.

Posted by: Harry | May 24, 2012 8:56:55 PM

3. It is 1972. I am seven years old. Burt Ward, who played Robin in the Adam West Batman series, is making an appearance at the Westgate Mall in Macon, Georgia. I reach the front of the line and swoon as he hands me a signed photo. I don't know what sex is, but I know somehow that it's not okay to hug Robin like I want to. He's just so . . . wonderful. The blissed out sissy who skipped back to the car with Mom that day, and who knew despite having loving parents that the bliss couldn't show, would have taken great comfort in seeing Northstar marry his man. Despite all the bs and troubles we face these days, we've come a long way.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | May 24, 2012 9:32:31 PM

4. HAHAHA!!! OMM you're delusional if you think DC or Marvel will give two shits about what you think and your latest stunt. They haven't started caring about women since their formations, and they certainly won't now! LOL. Read a comic book from the last 15 years, they're written for adults with the amounts of violence and cynical "heroes." A POINTLESS boycott

Posted by: Keiran | May 24, 2012 10:09:19 PM

5. Well, add DC and Marvel to the boycott list that includes Target, Starbucks, JC Penney, Archie Comics, Toys R Us, GAP, J. Crew and Home Depot. Next month I'm sure OMM's heads will explode when they learn All-American Coca-Cola is the main sponsor of New York Pride or that Johnson & Johnson is partnering with Walgreens to support PFLAG. Pretty soon the only companies OMM will be able to support are Chick-fil-a and ExxonMobil.

Funny how OMM and the AFA never mention Google, Apple or Microsoft, three companies that have been very vocal in their support of the LGBT community. I guess if they did protest those three, they would have not computers or smart phones to spread their hate. Guess they need to draw the line somewhere lol.

Posted by: KP | May 24, 2012 10:19:58 PM

6. ...Most of the X-Men story lines have been influenced by the LGBT movement...The Cure, for example...So...If people are reading the X-Men and not understanding what it's about...then they shouldn't be reading X-Men. They been spreading this propaganda for some time, gentlemen. And thank goodness.

Posted by: O HERRO | May 24, 2012 10:49:47 PM

7. well, if they are going to look at it that way, they should boycott Batman for making kids want to have their parents murdered and become orphans. logic! :U

Posted by: Frankie | May 24, 2012 11:53:50 PM

8. After reading the latest X-Men and Young Avengers comics (and I go back a long ways in comic fandom), even I'm surprised at the depiction of gay heroes.

Specifically, a gay couple in Young Avengers is a teenage couple and they're shown kissing and sleeping in the same bed. I'm fine with showing adult gay superheroes in bed, but teenagers is a different matter.

Posted by: Guy | May 25, 2012 1:56:45 AM

9. Yes well im sure that since The Avebgers is going to gros about $1.6Billion world wide that Marvel couldnt really care less about the actions of 'couple of dozen old harridans'.

Posted by: Rovex | May 25, 2012 2:21:35 AM

10. So... the who the Hell are "one million moms"? Is there even a spokesman? Probably some self-loathing guy, yeah?

Posted by: Mike | May 25, 2012 3:39:09 AM

11. I do love a good [sic].

Posted by: endo | May 25, 2012 7:34:58 AM

12. Those moms need to shut up, get back in the kitchen, and make me DINNER!

Posted by: Jack M | May 25, 2012 8:02:58 AM

13. Has anyone ever seen a single one of these OMM? Why do I have the distinct feeling that it could really just be Two Closet Cases at AFA

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2012 8:35:06 AM

14. One Million Moms = Bryan Fischer's drag name

Posted by: Oliver | May 25, 2012 8:40:57 AM

15. The One Thousand Bored, Horny Housewives are boycotting over gay characters in comics?

Quelle surprise!

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | May 25, 2012 11:08:09 AM

16. Join this group on FB and help expose "One Million Moms" as the hate group they are.

Posted by: Bobby | May 25, 2012 12:37:10 PM

17. I've always given DC Comics major props for their early AIDS/HIV advocacy... as far as I know they were the first to actively talk about the disease - they ran PSAs in their comics confronting the myths of how only 'bad people' got the disease. One of my absolute favorite DC comics - The Spectre by John Ostrander had the character of Amy Beiterman - a heterosexual woman who had contracted HIV from her unfaithful husband. She was a strong, highly sympathetic character - and DC didn't shy away from the issues she had to deal with - including characters who were terrified to even *touch* her. With the hysteria of AIDS still raging strong in the early 90s, these examples were like a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, the introduction of Gay and Lesbian characters has lagged - but considering how much flack DC Comics got for even daring to buck the prevailing opinion about HIV/AIDS back then, I'm sure they're not very worried about any 'backlash' now.

Posted by: Oz in OK | May 25, 2012 12:44:10 PM

18. @Guy: "I'm fine with showing adult gay superheroes in bed, but teenagers is a different matter."

Why? Because teenagers don't ever get together... in bed?

Posted by: William | May 25, 2012 1:47:12 PM

19. Moms don't seem to have much influence in the comic book world. Usually because they see them as silly, juvenile, and stupid. Well moms, when someone makes a billion-dollar blockbuster about sensible lunch choices I'm sure people will pay more attention.

Posted by: Yeek | May 25, 2012 2:54:16 PM

20. OMM? Does that mean "One Million Morons"?

Posted by: JPPV | May 25, 2012 4:52:33 PM

21. SO RIDICULOUS for every FICTIONAL out and proud out and proud hero or heroine at Marvel or DC there are hundreds if not thousands of heterosexual counterparts.

Why is it so threatening for gay kids to have a hero to look up to?

Strong LGBT characters in comics are NOT going to make a straight child gay. They WILL make a gay child feel more comfortable with their own identity.

Growing up in a world where there is no stigma, judgement or persecution of gay people at best MIGHT encourage an adventurous straight person to be more likely to experiment sexually - but that does not mean they will end up identifying as homosexual.

I don't actually believe that these protest types REALLY buy their own line of crap. I think they know that straight kids who read books with empowering depictions of gay characters will grow up LESS likely give credence to THEIR PARENTS anti-gay rhetoric. That's what really scares them - NOT that gay superheroes will magically turn their kids gay.

Posted by: fanboi | May 25, 2012 6:06:16 PM

22. I am one of those One Million Moms. And I agree totally with them. My youngest is 14 now but as he was going up he would go to the comic book store with my husband. Both of my kids have grown up with DC and Marvel and there will be no more in my house. And by the way, our boycotts really do work! I am tired of the gay community shoving their life style down everyone's throats.

Posted by: Dawn | May 26, 2012 1:18:12 PM

23. The One Hundred Minus Ninety Moms sure have a lot of time on their hands. How do they do it? They have to make and pack their kids' lunches, drive them to and from school, go to the mall and order delivery for dinner...where do they find the time to scour the internet for news on The Gays and boycott companies that support The Gays?

Posted by: Gigi | May 31, 2012 2:19:24 PM

24. Did these OMMs never wonder about Batman & Robin and what really went on in the batcave
    ----------
    Well since Robin is 12 and Batman is 25
    i hope nothing happened and if it did
    it would be child abuse.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 26, 2012 7:18:30 PM