Advertising | American Family Association | News

BigGayDeal.com

'One Million Moms' Goes after The Gap for Its New Gay Ad

Gaygap
(image twitter chris votaw)

Claiming that its recent campaign against JC Penney over an image of lesbians in its catalog is having an effect, American Family Association subgroup One Million Moms is now going after The Gap for an ad featuring a gay couple.

Writes the group:

Speaking of companies who are choosing to be politically correct instead of focusing on selling clothes; GAP is also guilty. In Los Angeles, CA, GAP has a billboard located downtown that reads: "GAP- BE BRIGHT- BE ONE" with two homosexual men pressed together under a shared t-shirt. They are hugging each other and facing the camera cheek-to-cheek. "BE ONE" is in large letters which emphasizes the same-sex relationship.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, money from conservative families across the country. Supporting GAP is not an option until they decide to remain neutral in the culture war. GAP needs to seriously consider how their immoral advertising affect the youth of our nation.

Christians should urge for the removal of GAP's offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city where it is located. GAP will also need to cancel any plans to use the "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store-front posters, its website, and in print magazine ads.

The group instructs its members to send the company the following action item:

As a parent and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am highly offended by your company's disrespect for the millions of parents whose children will be exposed to your latest "Be One" GAP billboard ad. Selling clothes has nothing to do with a person's sexual orientation. In attempting to be politically correct, you are offending a huge majority of your customers.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, my family's business as a result. I will not be able to support your corporation until you decide to remain neutral in the culture war. I implore you to consider how your immoral actions affect the youth of our nation.

Please order the removal of your offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city it is located. Also cancel any plans to use your "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store front posters, your website, and in print magazine ads.

The ad features Rory O'Malley (Tony nominee for The Book of Mormon) with his boyfriend, Gerold Schroeder

(via right wing watch)

Comments

1. Hi! I represent an organization called 25 Billion Gays. I am the President and sole member. On behalf of my organization, I would like to congratulate the GAP for their forward reach. Thank you for your support.

Posted by: kodiak | May 18, 2012 6:13:19 PM

2. I wonder if they understand the concept of boycott any better than that pastor who was boycotting Starbucks by buying coffee there and then pouring it down the sewer? Anyway I expect sales at The Gap to rise due to this boycott. I would be very disappointed in any business that caved into these 1950s morality police ladies.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 18, 2012 6:20:01 PM

3. Andy first posted a picture of this ad on May 4th. It took the moms two weeks to get their boycott going? I think they're slipping.

Posted by: Dev | May 18, 2012 6:28:43 PM

4. SwiminBuff...

These used to really bug me.. how these groups can be so hateful as to try to get Ellen fired, take away people's coffee etc...

Then I remembered the old saying, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and I realized how much these "boycotts" are making for the very companies this moronic group is rallying against..

So now, when I see them, I just smile.

:D

Peace, y'all...

Posted by: theotherlee | May 18, 2012 6:30:56 PM

5. Million Moms need to shove their used tampons in their mouths or get laid more often. I am disappointed with the Gap. Finding anything from the RED Project is rarely found in their stores.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | May 18, 2012 6:57:21 PM

6. Let's call them what they really are: One Million Bigots

Posted by: Brad | May 18, 2012 7:16:23 PM

7. One Million Moms is run by the AFA (American Family Association) a hate group just like the KKK as defined by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Posted by: Brad | May 18, 2012 7:20:52 PM

8. It takes a perverse mind to make an obscene image out of an innocent one.

Posted by: Rita | May 18, 2012 7:22:54 PM

9. Here's a copy of my re-worked version of their action-item text, completely flipped to be a positive message and thank-you, which I sent to Gap Inc. via the link on their website. Feel free to use it if you like. I also posted it on the OneMillionMorons - I mean, Moms - Facebook page. They took it down after an hour, but it got seven 'likes.' =)

"To Whom It May Concern:

As a gay father with a committed non-legal partner of ten years, and someone who is highly offended by OneMillionMoms.com’s ridiculous efforts to shape the culture of our planet into something they deem acceptable, I applaud your latest "Be One" GAP billboard ad. Selling clothes has plenty to do with embracing ALL types of people, no matter their sexual orientation, marital status, or religious affiliation. In their attempts to chide and intimidate you for being appropriately politically correct, OneMillionMoms.com will undoubtedly find out the majority of your customers actually support inclusiveness and will come out in droves to support your new ad campaign.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, heartily deserve and will continue to get my family's business as a result of this wonderful, tasteful, and inclusive ad. I will continue to support your corporation and thank you from the bottom of my heart for not letting hate groups like OneMillionMoms.com intimidate you into remaining neutral in the so-called ‘culture war.’ I implore you to remain unyielding in your attempts to include all versions of your customer and congratulate you on leading with an ad that encourages and affirms the youth of our nation, helping them realize no matter what their churches, parents, the media, the GOP, or hate groups like OneMillionMoms.com might say, there is nothing immoral about the way they choose to express themselves or their love for others.

Please refuse to remove your outstanding and uplifting billboard in Los Angeles and any other city it is located. Also, refuse to cancel any plans to use your "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store front posters, your website, and in print magazine ads.

I wish I’d seen ads like this when I was younger, scared to admit I was different, and fighting against the hateful sentiment of anything different or not in keeping with outdated religious intolerance behind the threats OneMillionMoms.com is making against your company; if I had, perhaps I would have learned to be confident and unafraid about being myself and acknowledging I deserve to be happy much sooner in life. Thank you, Gap Inc. Brands, for being a company I’m proud to do business with.

Sincerely,"

Posted by: Christian | May 18, 2012 8:18:00 PM

10. Ha, They don't have Gaps where the members of this organization are from. Hint Hint.
    Hill jack bigots.

Posted by: Rob | May 18, 2012 8:23:45 PM

11. Ladies, it's called a vibrator. Use it. Maybe then you'll stop these ridiculous boycotts. Just got some shorts from Old Navy, and I love them. :)

Posted by: Doc Marten | May 18, 2012 8:26:21 PM

12. Yeah, I read "remain neutral in the culture war" and I think that means no men and women together also.

Posted by: Craig | May 18, 2012 8:51:04 PM

13. Actually, the blank stares are a bit off-putting.

Posted by: anon | May 18, 2012 11:24:44 PM

14. MARY - you have lots of good ideas, this is another one of them. And did you see my praise for your notion that The New Normal should be about guys who take care of troubled or unwanted children. I wanted you to. I know of such people.

And again, welcome aboard marriage equality. You rock. Now. Is TJ talking to you yet?

Posted by: UFFDA | May 19, 2012 12:37:56 AM

15. For real!!! Conservative equals biogoted and ignorant. Christians cant see how rediculous they sound. They disgust me with their hate. They only do and say what they hear others say and have no independant thought.

Posted by: Charlotte | May 19, 2012 1:35:57 AM

16. Can someone please find OMM a dictionary? I don't think that they understand what the term "neutral" means. Because it certainly doesn't mean "agree with me and ignore anything different" which is how they're using it.

Posted by: Theodore | May 19, 2012 2:12:31 AM

17. I agree With Mary Views..Really a Very enjoyable post. I love MOM....

Posted by: Action Movies | May 19, 2012 2:19:42 AM

18. The more accurately described "A Few Thousand Moms" are spreading themselves too thin. They never heard the tale of the boy who cried wolf too often.

Posted by: andrew | May 19, 2012 2:30:56 AM

19. So "not" one of those so called "One Million Moms" has a gay son or daughter????
    BS!

Posted by: Darrell | May 19, 2012 2:35:13 AM

20. Also it just goes to show that since GAP has been run by a Canadian CEO for several years who does know the value of equal rights in regards to both marketing and society. Also 33,000,000 Canadians certainly can outrank 1,000,000 "Bigoted Rightwing Evangelical Moms" easily in equality and social acceptance. Just deport all 1,000,000 up here and we can show them how an advanced country works! Then once they learn something we will let them come home!

Posted by: Darrell | May 19, 2012 2:44:18 AM

21. @Joe

I've done the same thing with their template scolding letters; the first time was with their Ellen DeGeneres protest.

I amused myself greatly by keeping as closely as possible to their syntax while modifying it to be completely supportive of JC Penney.

Posted by: agcons | May 19, 2012 4:54:27 AM

22. With all these boycotts against clothing stores, eventually One Million Moms will have dress their pwecious little dinkums in potato sacks to protect them from deh ghey.

Posted by: Bill S. | May 19, 2012 5:26:10 AM

23. Why don't 'One Million Mums' change their name to 'a few thousand women obsessed more with attacking gay people than with actually trying to be good moms' Yes, the new name doesn't trip off the tongue so easily, but it's a lot more accurate.

Posted by: Den | May 19, 2012 5:57:21 AM

24. 'Couple of dozen moms' are trying to be relevant again. Boring..

Posted by: Rovex | May 19, 2012 6:16:11 AM

25. "Selling clothes has nothing to do with a person's sexual orientation." LOL! Wanna bet?

Posted by: William | May 19, 2012 9:04:23 AM