Advertising | American Family Association | News

BigGayDeal.com

'One Million Moms' Goes after The Gap for Its New Gay Ad

Gaygap
(image twitter chris votaw)

Claiming that its recent campaign against JC Penney over an image of lesbians in its catalog is having an effect, American Family Association subgroup One Million Moms is now going after The Gap for an ad featuring a gay couple.

Writes the group:

Speaking of companies who are choosing to be politically correct instead of focusing on selling clothes; GAP is also guilty. In Los Angeles, CA, GAP has a billboard located downtown that reads: "GAP- BE BRIGHT- BE ONE" with two homosexual men pressed together under a shared t-shirt. They are hugging each other and facing the camera cheek-to-cheek. "BE ONE" is in large letters which emphasizes the same-sex relationship.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, money from conservative families across the country. Supporting GAP is not an option until they decide to remain neutral in the culture war. GAP needs to seriously consider how their immoral advertising affect the youth of our nation.

Christians should urge for the removal of GAP's offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city where it is located. GAP will also need to cancel any plans to use the "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store-front posters, its website, and in print magazine ads.

The group instructs its members to send the company the following action item:

As a parent and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am highly offended by your company's disrespect for the millions of parents whose children will be exposed to your latest "Be One" GAP billboard ad. Selling clothes has nothing to do with a person's sexual orientation. In attempting to be politically correct, you are offending a huge majority of your customers.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, my family's business as a result. I will not be able to support your corporation until you decide to remain neutral in the culture war. I implore you to consider how your immoral actions affect the youth of our nation.

Please order the removal of your offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city it is located. Also cancel any plans to use your "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store front posters, your website, and in print magazine ads.

The ad features Rory O'Malley (Tony nominee for The Book of Mormon) with his boyfriend, Gerold Schroeder

(via right wing watch)

Comments

1. Hello? Marketing is about branding and GAP wants to brand themselves as diverse, tolerant, and hip. If you want to sell clothes to dowdy, frumpy church marms you might brand yourself differently. (You'd be called Land's End.)

These issues are a key part of how AFA gets working class people to vote for the interests of the rich. It baffles all of Europe that Americans do ths.

Posted by: Rob | May 19, 2012 9:20:53 AM

2. I'm so happy to hear this news! Does this mean I'll no longer have to stand by helplessly while unhappy, 300 pound women dripping with screaming children try to shoe horn their enormous asses into a pair of the Gap's new yoga pants? SIGN ME UP! As for JCP, I think their boycott IS having an effect: I just bought some t shirts there for the first time in years. And those were 100% gay dollars being spent, baby!

Posted by: Brian | May 19, 2012 9:31:56 AM

3. i guess the name "one million morons" is trademarked?

Posted by: AC | May 19, 2012 9:37:45 AM

4. UFFDA, thanks. You're the best. And yes, I saw your remarks about my suggestions for "The New Normal." But I should have anticipated how my remarks would come across and written them to show more modesty on my part. So I deserved some of the hostility that came my way.

TJ will probably not take my conversion to the marrige equality cause seriously and accuse me of being "Lucy" planning to take the ball away once again.

And poor Kiwi. All he can do now is pretend that my recent conversion makes me like the town whore who gets religion and then proceeds to tell the minister what to say in his sermons. Then we'll hear that I should "grow a pair" and make a Youtube video asking other conservatives to join me in supporting marriage equality but that I won't because my homophobic mommy and daddy won't then let me sit at the dinner table, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Posted by: Mary | May 19, 2012 12:19:19 PM

5. @Mary re: conversion
    Congratulations. You have my deepest respect. I am actually choked up. Good for you. Good for you. Good for you. Now you shove this down Kiwi's throaght every chance you get. Just cram away. You are brilliant. I want to marry you, but you'd have to get in line. ;)
    The last post I did directed at you was something along the lines of "I don't know how you could evolve beyond this point. Good luck with that." Thank you dearly for proving me wrong. I love to be wrong this way. :)

Posted by: NullNaught | May 19, 2012 12:39:14 PM

6. @Mary
    Also, is Littlekiwi a sock-puppet troll you made up for our amusement? I ask because your "impersonation" of him sounds too dead on accurate; you do his voice all to well for him to be a person seperate from yourself. So if you are kiwi, I would just like to say, your character is rather 2 dimensional. You don't give him any depth, he is a one-trick puppet. "Let me see your identification, NOW!" This character of yours (if he is) appears to think he's a cop. Or maybe he runs this place that he can go around demanding people's I.D.. He goes a little over the top with his badgering. Not very believeable, really.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 19, 2012 12:48:14 PM

7. So "the troll formerly known as Mary" is now a marriage equality fan? Yeah, I belive that (NOT!)

"Mary" (or Rick/Jason/Ratbastard) why don't you go F**k yourself and DIE IN A CAR FIRE you old ugly beeotch!

Nullnaught, if you believe "Mary" has changed you need to GET REAL and see through her act. GROW A PAIR, guys! Has she posted her URL yet? Has she started a new group CME (Conservatives for Marriage Equality)? Have her parents marched in a gay pride parade with her under the banner "Formerly Homphobic, Now Homophilic"? And why can't we know her real name? She wants us to believe she's sincere but continues to use the internet as a Roman toga (er, Saudi Arabian burka, sorry for the slip-up!)

This troll will never be pro-gay, just as she'll never be loved. She'll die a lonely death surrounded by her yellowing copies of The Advocate, while still not having the balls to finally view "Brokeback Mountain" (OK, women don't have balls, but you get what I mean.)

"She" is totally useless......truly

Werk

Posted by: KIWI"S GHOST | May 19, 2012 2:10:13 PM

8. Nullnaught, did you enjoy the above post? It was me posing as Kiwi, who is very much a real person. And Kiwi if you're listening, I'm just kidding with you! You can call me "cuntybombastic" if you want to. I'm sure TJ will cheer you on.

I'm glad you're happy, Nullnaught. I came to the conclusion after much thought that I could only advocate accepting full equality for LGBT citizens.....or make the case that the whole gay rights movement was a mistake and that the society should have stopped "evolving" after Stonewall. The second is just too far back to go even for a conservative like me.

Incidentally, I've wanted to say this to you for a number of days - you are one of the most fair-minded people I've ever seen. You have a respect for the intellect and the consistency of ideas that is striking - and rarely found even among the most scholarly of people. Whatever mental illness you have hasn't reduced your intellectual powers. And it's to your credit that you can have such a sense of fair-play for political opponents despite all the abuse you've been put through. I wish you all the best.

Posted by: Mary | May 19, 2012 2:26:26 PM

9. @Mary
    I laughed my a$$ off at that. I was litterally laughing out loud. I went away and was coming back just now to compliment whoever did that. That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen here on towleroad. Thank you very much! :)
    I have imense respect for you. I have some idea how hard it can be to change a long held view, and I just love you to pieces for managing this! You are now my favorite straight person bar none.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 19, 2012 2:37:41 PM

10. The question on the American Family Association/One Million Moms is WHAT clothing lines DO they approve? I am beginning to think only white "Christian" garb with "official" hoods.

Posted by: Pup | May 19, 2012 3:11:54 PM

11. Of course, in this case, the expression, "one million moms" is just a figure of speech.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | May 19, 2012 8:06:55 PM

12. If I were a child of one of these "Moms", I would be reluctant to admit it.

Posted by: Jerry6 | May 19, 2012 8:28:22 PM

13. What a hoot. They never learn. Their Starbucks boycott failed, this will, too. For heaven's sake, OMM, just give it up. You can't win. You're making yourselves look silly at every turn. How about protesting child molesters, child abusers (probably there are a few within OMM), and educational problems between rich and poor neighborhoods, Then you will be doing some good!!!

Peace <3
    Jay

Posted by: Jay M. | May 19, 2012 8:58:30 PM

14. The Positive: I saw this ad today on a bus in my hometown and the gay capital of Boston and I believe my response was, "Oh yeah!" I've never shopped at the GAP, but my opinion of the company increased tenfold after viewing this ad. Whatever the GAP's motivation for running this ad, I support it. I can only imagine what it would feel like to be a young gay male who saw this same ad, and how affirming it might have been for him. Way to go, GAP!

The Negative: This is an amazing forum of responses, and I feel warm and fuzzy when I read so many passionate (and articulate!) Americans coming out in support of gay rights and really putting hate groups like OMM in their place. But I've viewed a couple times a comment that One Million Moms "just need to get laid" in order to cease their boycotts. In my opinion, this is rather juvenile, shortsighted, and indeed sexist. Suggesting that members of OMM are just sexually frustrated is fairly insulting to me as a woman (who is neither a mother, nor conservative). When women show opposition to something, we are often labeled as "having PMS" or "just needing to get laid." Everything is reduced to our sexuality, even when we have legitimate reasons to be upset. Please, call OMM homophobic bigots, but don't use their gender as the basis of your attack. That's just fighting fire with fire.

Posted by: Laura | May 19, 2012 9:47:17 PM

15. I suggest people do as I did and go to the OMM site, register as a member and go to the prepared letter they request you sign . Delete what they have and enter your letter of support for the Gap. Lets show OMM (actually about 40,000 ) that we , the people who don't find the ad offensive , have numbers too. Lets put these evil people out of business !

Posted by: CArl Folk | May 20, 2012 3:48:33 AM

16. @Carl Folk
    What a smart idea. Thank you very much, I will do just that. :)

Posted by: NullNaught | May 20, 2012 3:56:54 AM

17. I did the same as another commenter - I edited the letter and sent it directly from the One Million Moms site. What tools these people are.

Posted by: Jack | May 20, 2012 7:49:29 AM

18. The energy that is wasted in perpetuating hatred and bigotry is appalling! When are people going to recognize that we live in a diverse culture and that there is room for everyone?!

Posted by: JeffB | May 20, 2012 10:16:09 AM

19. I believe One Million Moms is really just two old farts, James Dobson and another bigot who writes these press releases (although he must be pretty busy: Penney's, Urban Outfitters, the Gap).

Ellen was great in her response, noting that for a group that calls itself One Million Moms, they had just 40,000 Facebook members. "I see what they're doing, they're rounding up." (And most of the FB comments are from people saying, "I'll be shopping at (Boycott of the Week) more now."

Posted by: RIck | May 20, 2012 10:27:53 AM

20. When I first saw this ad, my eyes filled with tears. It's such a warm and tender representation of two young men in a moment of precious affection for one another. Of course, they might be straight and showing the world that such sincere affection between men is a beautiful thing. But, they probably are gay, which makes this ad all the more poignant and touching.

What I have to ask the so-called "Million Moms" is what is so political about this ad? What does this had have to do with this phony, right-wing fabricated "culture wars". Just what is "political" about the affection between two young men.

The answer must be that the conservatives, the right-wingers, the evangelicals are as I always say: soulless, lifeless, humourless, spiteful, hateful, joyless, embittered, petty, mean, bigoted and so utterly terrified of progress that they will threaten a corporation for such a beautiful advertisement.

One also must ask: if GAP must remove itself from the "culture wars", then why are the "million moms" allowed to participate? I don't get that one. The "million moms" are promoting bigotry and prejudice. GAP is promoting T-shirts by using a young, affectionate couple of men.

I went out today and bought some GAP clothing, some things for me (love the khakis), some jeans for my grandsons, some T-shirts, etc. GAP et al will continue to get my business and my support.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 20, 2012 2:15:48 PM

21. One Million Moms aren't getting any penis.No wonder they're pissed off. Besides,OMM is probably some old krone who is mad at everybody..And OMM can go phuck themselves: they think they have penises anyway. And the GAP companies don't want your business anyway. OMM+ so 20th century-just go away you cretins.

Posted by: Shannon | Apr 7, 2014 10:45:28 AM