BigGayDeal.com

President Obama Endorses Gay Marriage in ABC News Interview

President Obama today endorsed marriage equality in an ABC News interview with Robin Roberts after the White House experienced a tumultuous three days of questioning by the press spurred by Vice President Joe Biden's Meet the Press remarks on Sunday. Biden remarked that he was "absolutely comfortable" with gay people marrying, a statement that took him to the left of the President, who has said since he took office that he is "evolving" on the issue.

Obama Said Obama:

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

Added the President:

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know,  believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

The President also cited his faith in the announcement and the influence of First Lady Michelle Obama:

“This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she, you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president.”

More clips of the interview are scheduled to air this evening on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer and ABC's Good Morning America Thursday.

Get all the Towleroad headlines first - follow us on Twitter @TLRD.

Obama's position on the issue up till this point has been seen as a purely political one, and has been dogged by a 1996 survey he filled out as a candidate for the Illinois state senate in 1996, which stated "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages."

ABC News posted a timeline on Obama's marriage evolution.

Comments

1. Amazing.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 9, 2012 2:56:20 PM

2. Do not let this backfire on Obama. If he comes out in support of marriage equality, we need to really work to get him a second term. Voting, time and/or money people, that's what it will take. It will be a huge move if he does, politicians aren't exactly known for being brave or risky. So lets all be brave and start believing in hope again.

Posted by: anonny6 | May 9, 2012 2:56:42 PM

3. :O

Posted by: Emmy | May 9, 2012 2:57:45 PM

4. Yes, yes, yes. Obama 2012!

Posted by: BABH | May 9, 2012 2:58:10 PM

5. Ooops on the above post. Not if, because he just did. The contrast between Obama and Romney couldn't be greater.

Posted by: anonny6 | May 9, 2012 2:58:56 PM

6. Its really so stupid that this site doesn't allow posts with cuss words in them. Even when you're espressing joy.

Posted by: Jersey | May 9, 2012 3:00:44 PM

7. CHAMPAGNE!

Posted by: Oliver | May 9, 2012 3:02:36 PM

8. Well now that he has said it , I hope everyone is delighted.....I am delighted at the endorsement......I believed in him without it.

But it means that we must redouble our support for this great President.....we must not allow Rove and the rabid Right Evangelical Zombies to grab this issue to whip up hate and bigotry.

Now we must get him elected and get his SCOTUS appointments locked in lest they seek to undo our whole struggle for equality.

And Hillary must rest and get ready for the Big One in 2016. We will need her for eight years of total change.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 9, 2012 3:03:29 PM

9. excellent points, JACKTwist. excellent points. this will galvanize the country's scumbigots, so everyone with a brain and a compassionate heart needs to make sure to vote.

amen.

p.s. to all the gay republicans, i'm sorry President Obama has done this. I'm sure it hurts.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 9, 2012 3:05:28 PM

10. President Obama is one of my role models.

Posted by: Mel Smith | May 9, 2012 3:05:48 PM

11. Congratulations...President Romney.

Posted by: WOW | May 9, 2012 3:06:02 PM

12. I really hope that all the angry Obama haters in the previous post from earlier today -- who said they would support him if he only had the "backbone" to support marriage equality-- I hope they now put up or shut up. I believe many of them are Koch supported internet trolls trying to divide the gay community and hurt Obama's chances. Now it is "official". Obama is in full support. Romney has ALREADY come out AGAINST both marrige equality and even CIVIL UNIONS! Not sure how in the world the GoProud and Log Cabin folks can remotely live with themselves and vote against their own interest by supporting Romney. But, unfortunately, they will. And there will be plenty of them posting on here any second now-- the powerful Koch brothers put out the order and the trolls descend in three, two, one...

Posted by: iawl | May 9, 2012 3:06:33 PM

13. The Yahoo article points this contention out: "The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own." Really?

Posted by: Jwwow | May 9, 2012 3:07:10 PM

14. FOUR MORE YEARS!

Posted by: Oliver | May 9, 2012 3:07:22 PM

15. now the question is will the 4 million gays that supposedly vote repub...vote dem 2012 or vote romney who is against gay marriage and even civil unions (4 mill voters is a couple 5 points)

Posted by: say what | May 9, 2012 3:07:47 PM

16. 5 = %

as in 4 mill people = a couple % points swing

Posted by: say what | May 9, 2012 3:08:53 PM

17. Thank you Mr. President! I will work for your reelection 110%.

Posted by: Damien | May 9, 2012 3:09:06 PM

18. And now, some Pet Shop Boys to celebrate:

Posted by: BABH | May 9, 2012 3:10:40 PM

19. HOLY $#!T

Posted by: Caliban | May 9, 2012 3:11:24 PM

20. "President Obama is lying because he's a black socialist. Also, today I did abs and triceps at the gym" - Chris Barron.

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 9, 2012 3:11:31 PM

21. Thank you, Mr. President!

Posted by: 99% | May 9, 2012 3:11:34 PM

22. @JWOW - You mean the former law professor and President of the United States believes in constitutional government? I'm shocked!

Posted by: BABH | May 9, 2012 3:11:58 PM

23. You don't have to be a troll to keep a politician's feet to the fire, just a responsible citizen.

Posted by: John | May 9, 2012 3:12:57 PM

24. Well, Obama may just have doomed his re-election prospects.
    Oh sure, he'll get more votes from progressive forces in Northeast and West Coast states; but he probably just sealed his fate in states like OH, FL, PA, NM and other states that he desperately needs to win if he is to get elected.
    So, I hope all of you are celebrating tonight -- you forced his hand prematurely, and it's likely to mean President Romney and a totally Republican Congress. Oh yeah, the Romney who is even against civil unions!

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | May 9, 2012 3:13:02 PM