David Pakman | News | Religion | Sean Harris

BigGayDeal.com

Progressive Radio Host Rings Anti-Gay Pastor Sean Harris' Church: VIDEO

PakmanHarris

Radio host David Pakman spent some time discussing Sean Harris, the North Carolina pastor who advocated beating gay children into heterosexuality, and the pastor's church during his radio show this week.

In addition to highlighting the relationship between homophobia, sexism and misogyny, Pakman also called up Harris' church, Berean Baptist Church, and asked whether the church as a whole agreed with Harris' controversial comments.

The answer? Find out AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. @Ricco

Great comment above and another interesting viewpoint. For the record, I did not see your comment before I posted the most recent one of mine, apparently we were typing at the same time.

However, we do not know of this accurately portrays this particular secretary any more than if what I've opined is accurate.

I stand by my orginal opinion that until we actually hear from the receptionist herself or the congregants, I will withold judgment. Although I am intrigued by your comments that some of them are actually speaking out and I look forward to reading that.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | May 3, 2012 3:36:39 PM

2. Harris only (partially) apologized because he was called out on his rant. That's why this kind of story needs to be aired and followed up repeatedly. As I've stated on religious abuse and intolerance many times ... we're fighting for the lives of not only ourselves but our children and future generations of LGBT children.

You don't have to be Edward R Murrow when calling out evil and injustice, all voices count. Thank you to David Packman for using the platform he had available to do what he could to help.

Posted by: JONES | May 3, 2012 3:39:41 PM

3. BEEF . . . you an an adult, presumably, and certainly will not object to people commenting on your commenting?

Maybe you should know a little more about the hierarchy of a church like Berean Baptist before berating others. The lady who answered the phone is NOT a volunteer.

Clearly you do not comprehend the size of Berean Baptist. It is a large church, with a large congregation, that has been in that location for over thirty years. A church that size would never have a volunteer manning the churches phones.

She is a paid spokesman and publicist, as all good receptionists are in church's of that size.

Maybe you need to educate yourself on how church organizations work before commenting so comprehensively . . . just suggesting. But of course, if you are tired of people commenting back to you . . . you can do something else with your day besides monitoring the comments on Towleroad.

Again . . . just suggesting.

Posted by: Ricco | May 3, 2012 3:51:28 PM

4. Thank you, BEEF, for your courtesy. I do recognize that you are attempting to converse intelligently. I am quite familiar with Berean Baptist church. As I said I attended that church, as well the Manna Church across the street . . . in fact a number of churches in the Fayetteville area . . . .and I know their personalities, and their missions, and I understand how church hierarchies operate, and while I respect your perspective on David Pakman's interaction with the receptionist, you need to know that she is not just a receptionist.

Her job is CRUCIAL, and she is paid to do it. It is a position that requires proactive, intelligent people who are quick witted, calm, and capable of handling the unexpected . . . all characteristics this lady had in spades.

As for the congregants. Many of them will not be as sophisticated as the Berean Baptist Church Lady, or charismatic as Pastor Harris. Naturally, they are followers.

But if the God they profess and confess does exist, a lack of sophistication and charisma won't spare them from being held accountable. They are, after all, adults.

They are as responsible for their pastor as he is them. It takes a lot of money to maintain a church the size of Berean baptist, and that money comes from the congregation.

I have enjoyed reading your posts. And it was very cool of David Pakman to acknowledge the legitimacy of your comments.

Good job.

Posted by: Ricco | May 3, 2012 4:23:33 PM

5. No Ricco, I don't have a problem with people commenting and I dont see the problem with monitoring the comment feed anymore than you are doing. Your points are clear as I'm sure my point is quite clear as well.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | May 3, 2012 4:39:16 PM

6. For the record, right off of their website and their constitutiohn...so this pastor while speaking for the church, is employed by them at their discretion, which is what I assumed previously. His term of office is considered permanent unless terminated by him or the congregation.

Although they don't specifically name a spokesperson or media contact, it seems apparent from the constitution and the website that these duties fall to the Senior Pastor (Harris). Their "contact us" link gives a 404 error. Also, the duties of the receptionist aren't listed in the constitution or on the website except to say that staff members are under the supervision of the senior pastor (Harris), although Dawn's bio gives a brief description, she is not named as spokesperson.

So now I am waiting for this congregation to speak up and I renew my suggestion that Pakman attempt further interviews with the appropriate people.

Although their constitution's stated views are quite clear regarding marriage, intimacy and gender roles, I doubt that's going to happen.

and here:

Church Officers

The church officers are the Senior Pastor, our deacons, our directors, the church clerk and the treasurer.

The church elects the Senior Pastor, deacons, and directors at church business meetings. Deacons and directors serve for a three year term and must rotate off for a one year sabbath. The board of deacons elects the church clerk and treasurer annually by three-fourths majority vote. The pastor's term of office is considered permanent unless terminated by the pastor or the congregation. The details of this are articulated in the Church Constitution.

Members of the church may communicate with the church officers via their distribution boxes at the church or through the mail using the church address and attention their name.

Meet Our Senior Pastor:

Sean Harris is the Senior Pastor of Berean Baptist Church in Fayetteville, NC. He is Berean's fourth pastor in its 40 plus years of existence. Berean called Sean to be the Senior Pastor in March of 2006.

His responsibilities include the preaching and teaching the Word of God, casting the vision for the ministry, the leadership of staff and faculty members, administration of Berean Baptist Academy, communication with church members, and personal discipleship.

Pastor preaches during the worship services on Sunday mornings and evenings and teaches the church's pre-membership class. He also teaches at the Academy. Pastor also provides audio commentaries on news worthy items throughout the week for www.sermonaudio.com

And now for our abused and berated (allegedly) receptionist....

Dawn ****** - Church Receptionist

Dawn put her complete faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ in November 1974. The Lord has blessed her with a wonderful Christian husband of forty-five years, Jim. They have two grown daughters and seven beautiful grandchildren. Dawn and Jim have been members of Berean since the fall of 1993. She began working at Berean in June of 1994. Her responsibilities are as a receptionist and secretary. Dawn serves the Lord in our Awana program, the nursery and in the Crown Sunday School Class. Working at Berean is a real source of joy for Dawn. It is a Christ centered, warm, and friendly environment

Posted by: Beef and Fur | May 3, 2012 5:07:43 PM

7. BEEF . . . every now and then, when Towleroad posts something that personally resonates with me, I do like to check back on the comments.

I hope a big noise continues to be made concerning this Pastor. Him, his receptionist, his entire congregation (as a congregation) are a toxic force in the Fayetteville area, capable of doing great damage, not only within their wacked-out church, but in the community as they impose their beliefs on others. They are great evangelists and confrontationalists (is that a word?) the Berean Baptists . . .

My hope is that some kid, or even some young father or mother will scrutinize the pastor and the church a little more than they have previously.

Sadly, the greater reaction will be one of being embattled.

Fundamentalists do love to dish it out, but when it comes back at them they call it religious persecution.

Posted by: Ricco | May 3, 2012 5:12:38 PM

8. typical evangelical fundie trash..hatred and ignorance...most of those folks have LESS than a third grade education...I heard that Pastor Harris lives in an old school bus (its nicely decorated) Meanwhile I will keep my own views, as BOGART said to BACALL..."when its over, ...its OVER!"lol

Posted by: codyj | May 3, 2012 5:22:47 PM

9. @Ricco

And I share the same belief and desire.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | May 3, 2012 5:36:37 PM

10. In most . . . probably all . . . Baptist churches, the pastor serves not at the discretion of his presumed Calling, but the congregations.

Every adult, therefore, is responsible for that pastor, and his teachings, whether or not they sat on the board who hired him.

Any adult who supports the church with their tithes, their presence, their advocacy of its pastor, then they represent that church, and it is as appropriate to confront any individual in the church who either gave the sermon, or heard and approved its message, which we rightly assume by the continuance of the aforementioned.

Posted by: Ricco | May 3, 2012 5:52:23 PM

11. Beef's remarks are totally off-gase.

First, Pakman never berated the receptionist. He asked solid questions and was polite throughout.

Second, Pakman identified himself completely, so this was not a prank call or a trick call.

What's interesting about the receptionist's response is that she was adamant that no one at the church advocates beating children. I think that "pastor" will see some changes coming.

Posted by: Guy | May 3, 2012 9:22:57 PM

12. David Pakman is more than up and coming. I love the few segments of his show I have seen around the gay blogs. Cute and intelligent. Love it!

I would agree that his call to his church and speaking to the receptionist was appropriate. The woman works for a guy who advocates violence. She needs to take the heat for working for such a HATEFUL guy who needs to be watched, especially for a "church" that has a child school.

Posted by: FunMe | May 4, 2012 5:41:41 AM

13. I've worked as a receptionist and I will say that when you are the receptionist you are the one who answers questions unless there is someone else designated to do so. If you aren't the one answering the questions you forward them to someone who does. If the church didn't want the receptionist representing the church they should have a spokesperson to do so. I feel for the receptionist but she has to know what the church stands for and someone should have briefed her by now as to what to say. Also, Pakman asked to speak to the preacher and was given the standard answer "he's in a meeting" which in receptionist talk means "he won't take phone calls."

Posted by: Becky | May 4, 2012 11:37:12 AM

14. Beef, if you don't want people to comment you shouldn't comment in the first place. Everyone has the right to comment--that's what freedom of speech is about. You don't have to continue reading the comments if they bug you so much.

Posted by: Becky | May 4, 2012 11:38:14 AM

15. The Virtual Receptionist is a combination of off-site live communication and address services that allow users to reduce traditional office costs while maintaining business professionalism.

Posted by: Virtual Receptionist | Jun 11, 2012 6:02:36 AM