David Letterman | Kiss | News | Will Smith

Will Smith Discusses Kiss from Male Reporter on Letterman: VIDEO

Will_smith

On Friday, I posted about a male Ukrainian reporter's attempt to kiss Will Smith on the carpet of Men in Black 3 in Moscow. Last night, on Letterman, Smith discussed the incident, and his reaction:

"It's just awkward, Dave!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is the same reporter that purposefully gave Madonna Hydrangea's to illicit a reaction. @GRAPHICJACK - You are creating a mountain out of a mole hill. And so is anyone else who wants to extrapolate homophobia out of this.

In summary: Man slaps another who tries to kiss him uninvited. That doesn't sound outrageous.

Posted by: Jim Sydney | May 23, 2012 7:37:17 PM

2. It's only sexual harassment when the guy is fat and unattractive. If a Men's Health cover model (I know, I know everyone is going to pretend that Men's Health models are not hot and how they really like regular guys with beer guts) grabbed your ass and tried to kiss you, I hardly think one would punch him ala Tom.

Posted by: Rodrick | May 23, 2012 8:13:45 PM

3. I could have sworn the same thing happened at an MTV Movie Awards (?) years ago when Jim Carrey tried to kiss Will Smith. He kind of had a mini-freak out, if memory serves me correctly.

Posted by: finkles2000 | May 23, 2012 9:29:55 PM

4. I have to say that while I think the reaction was a bit over the top, I think a person has the right to not be kissed on the mouth by a stranger if he or she does not want to. That is NOT a cultural thing, it's a matter of a person's right to personal space. Stop trying to make this a gay vs straight issue. It's an issue of VERY BAD MANNERS on the part of the idiot who felt entitled to kiss Will Smith on the lips without consent. I would totally flip out if some creep did that to me, and I'm NOT a famous person!

Posted by: Ellie B. | May 23, 2012 9:30:22 PM

5. Memory DID serve me correctly. Here's the YouTube clip. Damn, Will Smith is pretty g.d. aggressive and pissed here.

Posted by: finkles2000 | May 23, 2012 9:31:53 PM

6. Will Smith is a good guy and he handled this situation very well. Congrats Will.

Posted by: andrew | May 23, 2012 9:37:57 PM

7. Will Smith is a good guy and he handled this situation very well. Congrats Will.

Posted by: andrew | May 23, 2012 9:38:00 PM

8. It's awkward? How?

Bet he doesn't think that when he gets it from Tom Cruise.

Posted by: FunMe | May 23, 2012 9:38:24 PM

9. So much Will Smith projection.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 23, 2012 9:52:29 PM

10. Sympathy for the repulsive hot mess on this one. Like when the attention whore posing as a reporter squirted Tom Cruise with water out of a fake microphone a couple of years ago. Even closeted billionaires deserve respect for boundaries.

Posted by: J.D. | May 23, 2012 10:48:47 PM

11. Except for Michael Bloomberg. Miss Thing deserves several public pies in the face.

Posted by: J.D. | May 23, 2012 10:50:04 PM

12. Re: Russian/Ukrainian normalcy - perhaps Mr. Smith, like the typical AMerican, is totally ignorant of the manners of any country he visits.

Posted by: darkmoonman | May 24, 2012 1:51:34 AM

13. And perhaps the reporter was totally ignorant of the fact that Americans typically don't greet each other with a kiss on the face.

Why the American-bashing? Geezus . . .

Posted by: finkles2000 | May 24, 2012 2:19:10 AM

14. @Darkmoonman: Russian/Ukranian normalcy: HOMOPHOBIA.Should we follow their enlightened lead?

Posted by: andrew | May 24, 2012 3:34:06 AM

15. I remember a time back in the late 70's when I was working on "General Hospital". Richard Simmons was just becoming popular and he did several stints on "General Hospital" as an aerobic class instructor that several of the female characters would go to as a foil to get the story moving. I was walking down the dressing room hallway and he was with a large group of the actors and reporters. Being outrageous he saw me and came up to me and planted one on my mouth in front of everyone. It shocked and embarrassed me and he laughed and told me to get over it. I've hated him ever since. I'm with Will Smith on this: it was awkward.

Posted by: woodroad34d | May 24, 2012 8:13:42 AM

16. I totally agree with Will on this, the reporter asked for a hug, Will gave him one and then the reporter attempted (attempted only) to kiss him, physical violence was really the only action Will could have taken. I mean, he couldn't have just pushed the reporter away, quickly turned his head, put a hand up...the only way to deal with this was to pussy slap him in the face. Bravo Will, bravo.

Posted by: Donald | May 24, 2012 8:49:56 AM

17. I would have thought that, after being married to Jada Pinkett for 15 years, Will would have gotten used to kissing a dude by now.

Posted by: Divine Grace | May 24, 2012 9:26:05 AM

18. At this point, actors who lie like this (if he really is gay or bi) only come across as sociopaths or seriously disturbed individuals.

Posted by: Bob | May 24, 2012 10:22:29 AM

19. I don't care if someone tries to kiss you, if you're so upset by it then call the cops...but don't assault them...

Posted by: Joe | May 24, 2012 11:20:30 AM

20. Smith has always been a homophobe. Remember the brouha surrounding the on-screen man kiss in "Six Degrees of Separation"? He sought advice from his equally homophobic pal Denzel and was advised "Don't Do It". So he didn't.

Posted by: socal | May 24, 2012 11:56:12 AM

21. It's funny how people are saying that he is hiding his sexuality by slapping the guy. You can be gay and not be ok with any guy trying to kiss you right? I mean it's not because you're officially gay that you have to let anyone kiss you...it's just plain stupid! I think he was really surprised and I understand him, it was really awkward!

Posted by: Chris | May 24, 2012 1:18:08 PM

22. I hate it when Will tries to pretend he is ghetto. He's as white as they come.

Posted by: jay | May 24, 2012 7:45:29 PM

23. Perusing "Gay history" on the net I ran across a Russian postage stamp of two important male politicians kissing, so for those who imply it is NOT customary for Russians males to kiss on the lips, please explain that stamp. As for Will Smith, I always thought he macho'd it up a bit too much and those are the guys who are usually closet cases. He's lucky though, I didn't think he was particularly impressive on Fresh Prince" but years of drama coaching worked wonders as it would on most anyone.

Posted by: Jaroslaw | May 27, 2012 10:51:49 AM