"Ex-Gays" | News | Religion | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Sports Camp Helps Men 'Move Beyond' Being Gay

SoccerPositionThere will be lots of balls thrown and caught during a sports retreat being hosted by the Catholic "ex-gay" group Courage in Philadelphia this weekend.

Because, you know, you can overcome being gay by brushing up on tossing around the ol' pigskin.

Courage, a Catholic group that encourages people with same-sex attraction to remain celibate, is holding its 13th annual sports camp in which “men physically compete on the field while enriching their souls through a daily regimen of prayer, confessions, mass, and the Liturgy of the Hours,” according to the group’s website.

“They think that in offering people with same sex attraction the chance to learn how to play sports they will learn to be manlier,” said Ed Coffin, director of Peace Advocacy Network, a Philadelphia group which plans to protest outside the seminary...

“It’s a ludicrous assertion. There are many, many out gay athletes and many gay men who play sports,” he said.

One participant, who refused to be identified, insists the camp is not "brainwashing." Rather it's a "tutorial sports event" for men who face "social blockades" for their lack of athletic acumen.

Courage also claims that men are gay because they're estranged from their fathers. "I never met a man with same sex attraction that had a healthy relationship with his father," said one member, known only as Al.

Comments

1. ". I willingly helped him at his work for hours and hours on end (leather industry). He is always there for me, always interested in my life, and always making it clear how much he loves me and as proud of the man I've become. My dad is one classy father." Does that mean your father was a "leather daddy", lol?

Seriously these guys are deluded. I had a great relationship with my father all my life and played a lot of sports through school and university, some of which he taught me how to play. He was always there for me. On his death bed he spoke privately to my then boyfriend of 8 years and urged us to officially marry. How many Dads would do that?

Posted by: Swiminbuff | May 24, 2012 12:17:38 PM

2. You know, there is a HUGE Gay Softball Tournament in Philly this weekend..... The irony is palpable!!!!

Posted by: 007AgentBoy | May 24, 2012 12:25:19 PM

3. So someone who didn't have a good relationship with their father is Gay? I think my hetero male friends who had terrible relationships with their fathers are in for a shock...

Posted by: Oz in OK | May 24, 2012 12:30:16 PM

4. They're Catholics. They believe saying a few magic words can turn bread into meat. They believe a superannuated ex-Nazi is infallible. Why would believing this crap be a stretch for them?

Posted by: jomicur | May 24, 2012 12:33:27 PM

5. There's got to be a small sect of these groups/events that go there to hook-up. Right? You're both sexually repressed, the lights go out, and you have at it with the only other person you know that can keep your secret. Makes perfect sense (See: Scientology)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 24, 2012 12:39:11 PM

6. Just so stupid. How does one not laugh. What is it with the conservative mind that they jump on the broadest, must simplistic answer to every topic, be it climate change, the economy, energy production..... Or being gay. Many of us are estranged because we are gay, we're not gay because we're estranged. How do they walk without falling down...

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 24, 2012 12:42:42 PM

7. My father was neglectful and abusive. If he's the reason I'm gay, then I actually have something to thank him for.

Posted by: Jack M | May 24, 2012 12:56:35 PM

8. So how come it doesn't work for priests?

Posted by: Sauce for the goose | May 24, 2012 1:08:10 PM

9. i forwarded this to the group.

i expect their heads to explode. like in Scanners.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 24, 2012 1:13:02 PM

10. Yet another gay dude with a great relationship with my father...

And I hope this aggravates the conservatives to no end: I also have a great relationship with my father-in-law. Zing!

Posted by: Mousie | May 24, 2012 1:16:50 PM

11. that said, there is a strong correlation between lousy-father-relationships and "gay" but they have it reversed.

the gay aint the product of a father-son disconnect, the disconnect is often the product of "the gay".

as i said to the father of a friend who was all but disowned by his father when he came out "if nothing else, you should be proud that you raised your son to be strong enough to stand up to you."

but the reality is that a good father instills in his children the courage to be themselves, the integrity to stand up for others no matter how "different" a prejudiced society deems them to be, and to approach each and every obstacle in life with a backbone.

one look at the sad-sack gay conservatives that troll this site, in a way, makes that point. "i hate fems!" they yell, in hopes their dads will hear. *yawn*
    he aint hearing.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 24, 2012 1:17:48 PM

12. I think the guy in back is concentrating very hard on not getting a hard on. It must be one of the exercises to develop courage.

Posted by: Hard ball anyone? | May 24, 2012 1:24:24 PM

13. I had great parents, so for that, I am grateful. My grandparents were even cool for their generation.

I can't think of a single friend who is gay or lesbian who does/did not have wonderful relationships with their parents so Al does need to meet some more people!

I will remember and miss my Dad very much this coming Father's Day.

Posted by: Matt Ford | May 24, 2012 1:27:54 PM

14. Yeah, I'm sure there won't be any action going on in that locker room. Nope. LOL

Posted by: BOB | May 24, 2012 1:39:31 PM

15. JIMSTOIC, it's wrong for you to support your friend's anti-gay choice. I certainly would not support him. Why would you?

Posted by: nikko | May 24, 2012 1:40:25 PM

16. "Courage", though.

Posted by: Really? | May 24, 2012 2:01:28 PM

17. Theology/ideology has a way of painting people into corners and then they have to rationalize their way out. The trouble starts when you not only have to believe things that can't be proven or dis-proven, but also things that are dis-proven. It's painful to believe in lies.

Posted by: anon | May 24, 2012 2:07:06 PM

18. Because you know the best way to cure homosexuality is to spend some quality time with other sweaty hot men wearing jockstraps...

Posted by: jaragon | May 24, 2012 5:50:22 PM

19. @PETER:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for making my day with that one!!

Posted by: Mic | May 24, 2012 7:20:26 PM

20. Oh, and BTW Xtian Fascists;

At 50 I play Ice Hockey 3 times a week and have since I was 18. Hard and Fast.

And then I come home and have sex with my Husband...Hard and Fast.

Not happy about the Fast though... But then I am 50!

Posted by: Mic | May 24, 2012 7:25:58 PM

21. Al,

For your dim-witted information, I have a great relationship with my father. My relationship actually got stronger when I stopped hiding myself and came out to him and my mother. They love me with no strings unlike the catholic church.

Posted by: J. Page | May 25, 2012 9:05:44 AM