Jon Stewart | News | Zach Wahls

Jon Stewart Interviews Zach Wahls on 'The Daily Show': VIDEO

Wahls

Iowan with two moms, YouTube superstar, and now noted author Zach Wahls paid a visit to Jon Stewart last night to talk about his new book, and a new project he has also started called Out to Dinner, through which straight allies can hold 'dinner summits' between gay couples and those who might gain some understanding through meeting someone gay.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you missed Stewart's 'Gaywatch' segment, watch it HERE.

Comments

1. What an impressive young man. If we had been looking for a role model to show that same-sex families can produce great kids, we could not have found a better example.

Posted by: Gr8guyca | May 1, 2012 10:18:21 AM

2. Great guy and ally--but I'll pass on dinner as official rep of teh gay.

Posted by: AdamA | May 1, 2012 10:25:21 AM

3. This kid continues to blow me away. He's so articulate and is seemingly just a genuinely good guy. And he's only 20 years old.

Oh, and he's a total babe, too.

Posted by: Andrew | May 1, 2012 10:33:01 AM

4. I am a Godless Sodomite but I lack the ambition to take over the country...

Posted by: chad | May 1, 2012 10:38:43 AM

5. This kid is amazing. A wonderful spokesman for our cause. I wish a child of gay male parents who is equally as eloquent would step forward since it seems that what most homophobes fear is gay MEN, particularly as it relates to children. My son is a bit too young to take on such a task on a national scale, though he does speak up to anyone who'll listen. I think his "Out to Dinner" idea is BRILLIANT!

Posted by: TampaZekex | May 1, 2012 11:06:52 AM

6. Is Mr. Wahls growing a beard? How hot is that! I've elsewhere expressed my respect and (not completely) asexual enthusiasm for his advocacy.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 1, 2012 11:41:23 AM

7. I didn't realize his book is framed in the context of Boy Scout principles or core values, demonstrating how his mothers instilled those same values in him. That's a pretty smart way to go about it since it confronts "family values" critics and the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policies at the same time.

I'd be interested to hear how these "Out To Dinner" meetings go in real life. Ideally it sounds like a good opportunity for people to share perspectives, a meeting of minds, but part of me is thinking "This sounds like the recipe for an amateur production of 'Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf'"

Posted by: Caliban | May 1, 2012 11:49:18 AM

8. I wish Mr. Steward had allowed Mr. Wahls to finish a couple of his points; instead, it was little more than a "buy this book" side show.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 1, 2012 11:49:40 AM

9. More straight allies pretending to be spokespeople.

Yawn.

Posted by: Stuart | May 1, 2012 2:37:50 PM

10. Very sweet.

Posted by: Glenn I | May 1, 2012 2:45:58 PM

11. Stuart - At least these straight allies are out fighting for our rights. I'd take them over an apathetic gay any day.

Posted by: Drew | May 1, 2012 3:45:46 PM

12. Yawn on Stuart, Jon Stewart is actually doing things to further LGBT equality.

Posted by: jack | May 1, 2012 4:28:07 PM

13. Good Lord, is that man tall! I had no idea. Although I guess Jon Stewart is 5'6".

Yes, that was my takeaway from this video, whatever.

Posted by: Harrison | May 1, 2012 6:21:45 PM

14. Harrison - yes, he is tall, and in reading his book you'll find out why! Really quite interesting - his height, and the book! I am so impressed by this young man. Intelligent, articulate, and wise far beyond his years.

Posted by: John | May 2, 2012 10:28:11 AM

15. No child, regardless of age, should ever be put in a position to defend their parents. However, if it's going to happen (and we know it is) Zach Wahls is exactly the kind of responsible, intelligent, compassionate and well spoken individual who should be doing it. This young man has a bright and promising future, much of which is a result of the excellent upbringing provided by his loving mothers. All children should be so fortunate to be raised in a home where love comes before all else regardless of the gender of their parents.

Posted by: ThomT | May 2, 2012 10:56:01 AM