Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Ken Hutcherson | News | Washington

Washington's Leading Anti-Gay Pastor and NOM Ally Ken Hutcherson Wants the Word 'Gay' Back from Gay People

HutchersonWashington state anti-gay pastor Ken Hutcherson wants the rainbow back too:

"Seriously, I am the gayest guy I know...My frustration is that some groups have taken words and symbols away from the Church and from society in general. When I say I'm 'gay,' what I mean is that I am happy, that I am joyful and that I love people. That is precisely what a Christian ought to be so in my opinion we just need to be as gay as we can. Dan Savage (a pro-gay activist) says he is gay. He's not gay, not anywhere close. Yeah, he may be a homosexual but he certainly doesn't appear to be happy or joyful when he stands up in front of a classroom and uses profane language. Nope, nothing gay about that."

Comments

1. How about we use the correct terminology for Hutcherson: BIGOT.

Posted by: Mark | May 4, 2012 5:08:57 PM

2. Next thing you know he's going to want to redefine "doubleplusgood."

Posted by: VoenixRising | May 4, 2012 5:09:25 PM

3. Nope, Ken, the word is ours now, as is the rainbow.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | May 4, 2012 5:09:38 PM

4. I'm sure Hutcherson wants rainbows and the word "gay" so he can wrap 'em around his rent boys.

Oh, and Dan Savage looks like he's having a pretty good time to me. "A gay old time," to quote the Flintstones.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 4, 2012 5:14:59 PM

5. and then there is the word black. Or does that word describe people? Oh, well, what's in a word, Ken!

Posted by: Dan | May 4, 2012 5:16:40 PM

6. To "ken"- used to mean "to know".

Obviously that got lost when the Hutcherson's took it.

Posted by: MikeW | May 4, 2012 5:22:38 PM

7. I see Romney ads here. PLEASE CLICK ON EVERY ONE YOU SEE. Each time you do it costs them at least a dollar.

Posted by: Jacques Rosas | May 4, 2012 5:23:26 PM

8. Sadly, I think cost-per-click is closer to a quarter than a dollar, but that's no reason not to click on the ads of people who annoy you. One less quarter for them....

Posted by: Vint | May 4, 2012 5:40:57 PM

9. Conservatives are always wrapped up in meaningless symbolism. Could he get any more shallow? Seriously. If I strolled through the ocean of this man's soul, my feet would burn off.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 4, 2012 5:43:39 PM

10. If you don't say the word gay, they don't exist! "Don't say gay"!! Wow, the religious right just don't want us around at all. This just in....queer had a different meaning before as well!

Posted by: WOW | May 4, 2012 5:44:41 PM

11. "I am the gayest guy I know....."

Yeah, we know, we know.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 4, 2012 5:45:50 PM

12. VERY TEMPTING to use the type of language his ignorant comments bring up -- starting with quoting Dan as being "in a classroom".

Posted by: Bob | May 4, 2012 5:46:37 PM

13. Funny, I thought Dan Savage was hilarious and so did the audience, to judge by the laughter.
    It sounded like a very gay, joyous time to me.

Posted by: John Freeman | May 4, 2012 5:48:45 PM

14. One wonders how Ken would react if white people demanded that "his people" give back the word Black, and explained how they've ruined it, and how it used to mean something classy.

He'd probably wonder why on Earth the white people thought they owned the language and the word "black", or why they thought they had a right to determine what words other races or groups of people were allowed to use to refer to themselves.

And he'd probably not even see the connection.

Posted by: Rick Wright | May 4, 2012 5:53:21 PM

15. "When I say I'm 'gay,' what I mean is that I am happy, that I am joyful and that I love people..."

Except when it comes to the gays though. You don't want people to think that by using that word you maybe one, so you want to take the word back? You want to take it away out of spite maybe? Yep, showing your loving spirit right there aren't you?

Posted by: WOW | May 4, 2012 5:57:31 PM

16. he can heave all the gay he wants. He looks to me like the word fits him like a glove.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 4, 2012 5:58:11 PM

17. can anyone "Drop a Dime" on his "outside activities"??

Posted by: aj | May 4, 2012 6:01:59 PM

18. hard to know where to begin with all that stupidity.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 4, 2012 6:04:11 PM

19. He doesn't seem so happy and joyous to me. He seems angry, bitter, and filled with hatred and enmity. And probably self-loathing.

Posted by: kit | May 4, 2012 6:11:58 PM

20. Strange. He's not asking for fag back. Does he not smoke? Or faggot. Don't they burn wood up in Washington?

Posted by: JJ | May 4, 2012 6:11:59 PM

21. And I would love it if the word "Christian" no longer meant "someone who uses the bible to bash and otherwise lord over a minority in a socio-political environment."

Posted by: James in Hollywood | May 4, 2012 6:13:59 PM

22. I have to agree. The abuse of language is rampant in our society. I mean, consider the word "Christian"....

Posted by: Keppler | May 4, 2012 6:14:27 PM

23. Is this what it has come too? Next he'll want to take back all of the gay movie and music icons that we have "hijacked". Quick, everyone hide your Cher and Barbra CD's...and your Wizard of Oz DVD's too!! Ugh.

Posted by: WOW | May 4, 2012 6:16:32 PM

24. And I'd like the following words back from him:
    Christian
    Black

Posted by: Rick | May 4, 2012 6:29:44 PM

25. Rick: add the word "love" to that list too.

Posted by: WOW | May 4, 2012 6:30:57 PM