Gay Marriage | Kiss | News | Will Smith

Will Smith Shoves, Slaps Male Reporter for Kissing Him: VIDEO

Smith

Will Smith was not happy to be the target of a Ukrainian reporter's kiss on the red carpet of Men in Black 3, TMZ reports:

The Ukrainian reporter tries to kiss Will on the lips on the red carpet and the actor angrily pushes him away and then backhands him across the face. You can clearly see that Will is incredibly pissed that the guy showed overt affection toward him.

After Will slaps the guy, Will says, "He's lucky I didn't sucker punch him."

We're told the dude who kissed Will is a television reporter who often kisses celebrities -- it's his schtick.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In other news, Smith recently offered his support for Obama's endorsement of marriage equality, according to the AP:

The Hollywood actor says the question of whether gay people should be allowed to legally marry is “about semantics.” He told reporters in Berlin on Monday that “if anybody can find someone to love them and to help them through this difficult thing that we call life, I support that in any shape or form.” Still, Smith says the president’s support for gay marriage was a “brave” move in an election year.

Comments

1. In Spain we always kiss men on both cheeks. It's pretty much equivalent to a hand shake.

Posted by: Oliver | May 18, 2012 5:21:44 PM

2. Oh please. He should clocked that reporter in the mouth for slobbering all over him. Will isn't a homophobe.

Posted by: Alan | May 18, 2012 5:23:36 PM

3. The reporter locked his arm around Smith's neck and forced himself on Smith. This wasn't European custom, or the equivalent of grabbing someone by the arm...it was an assault. Smith may have carried it too far with the so called slap (look at the video, hardly a real slap), but he was mad and quite frankly I don't know many people who wouldn't be mad if put in the same situation. I don't personally care for Will Smith, but he gets a pass on this one.

Posted by: Ryhunt86 | May 18, 2012 5:32:20 PM

4. agree with most, not a homophobic reaction. well, not necessarily anyway. the fact that he called him a 'joker' instead of another word is a bit reassuring too.

i cant help but think of when will smith did 'six degrees of separation' and refused to do the male kiss in the script. not sure if he has issues with gay men or not, but i'm not really too concerned as long as he supports our equal rights.

Posted by: greg | May 18, 2012 5:34:08 PM

5. That was barely a slap. I think he handled it very professionally and would have been fine if he had been in on the joke. I was prepared to be outraged. Good on you Will. An believe it or not, all of these African American celebrities getting behind Obama is a big deal. And a big step in the right direction.

Posted by: AJ | May 18, 2012 5:37:12 PM

6. Agreed- it makes me feel good that most of the commenters on here don't feel Will Smith was homophobic for having a natural human reaction.... I would've- and you bet my bf wouldve clocked the guy. He was unexpectedly grabbing Smith by the back of the neck ( something I woulda slapped the guy for) and Will Smith gave in and hugged him- it's only when he was kissing him and going for he lips that he pushed him off. And for those people who think Smith's reaction was homophobic- really? Do something about the real hate crimes and gay bashing that happens

Posted by: Scott | May 18, 2012 5:38:50 PM

7. Will already has tons of gay rumors about him, so he was probably worried this would spark even more.

Posted by: Closeted | May 18, 2012 5:41:50 PM

8. I'd have done the same thing. I've got a big personal bubble. Some little kid I didn't know ran up to me at a mall and hugged my legs. I caught myself just in time from my automatic reaction which was to kick out at the kid.

Posted by: scollingsworth | May 18, 2012 5:45:58 PM

9. I don't like people touching me at all.

Posted by: Mel Smith | May 18, 2012 5:47:09 PM

10. To allude that Will Smith is a homophobe because some reporter (?), who should know better, physically/sexually assaulted him?
    Pick your battles people.

Of the reporter: That was incredible rude and completely unprofessional.
    Of Smith: He reacted.

I would have reacted in the same manner.
    Boundaries.

Posted by: JimmyD | May 18, 2012 5:53:59 PM

11. Oh, sh.t.

When I get to the after life (maybe by Saturday night)and I grab Bette Davis and kiss her...well, she'd have every reason in the world to slap the sh.t out of me. But I'd still love her.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 18, 2012 5:58:48 PM

12. I have thought since Will Smith refused to do the gay kiss in the script in "Philadelphia" that he was homophobic. I over react to anything that even whiffs of homophobia. This was not a homophobic reaction. This was a completely reasonable reaction. I would go so far as to say what Will Smith did was correct as far as he went, but he should have punched the reporter hard in the face, and then filed charges for sexual assault.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 18, 2012 6:03:43 PM

13. Will is cute!

(Are there nude photos of Will?)

Posted by: Mrs Patrick Campbell | May 18, 2012 6:04:41 PM

14. *Shrug*. A light (almost playful) slap is well within the range of 'acceptable response' to someone getting overly, and unwantedly 'fresh'.

Posted by: jexer | May 18, 2012 6:05:08 PM

15. You know what?

This reminds of when Elizabeth II came to the US in 1976 to commemorate the Bicentennial. Well, after the Queen left historic (and boring)Philadelphia they took her to the hood in either Baltimore or DC. They introduced her to this adoring Black woman. The sistah was so overwelmed that she grabbed Elizabeth II and gave her a spirited bear hug.

the point is: if the Queen of England can stand a little physical show of emotion how come a Queen of Hollywood can't.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 18, 2012 6:12:47 PM

16. This behavior is nothing new. Having met Mr. Smith on several occasions, he continues to display a general lack of manners. His comment "he's lucky I didn't sucker punch him"...shows his true colors. Classless.

Posted by: Alex | May 18, 2012 6:16:32 PM

17. I'm not a big fan of Mr. Smith's but I think it was wrong for the reporter to kiss him on the lips. I would have smacked him too!

Posted by: Gigi | May 18, 2012 6:18:25 PM

18. Will Smith is a card carrying member of the Family Research Council.

Posted by: Bill | May 18, 2012 6:23:57 PM

19. If some person tried to do that to me, I'd hit them too. Even the "slap" was barely that.

Posted by: htfaul | May 18, 2012 6:34:56 PM

20. I think his response was appropriate. He didn't get super-mad or storm off, it happened, he dealt with it, and that was that.

I'm not seeing this correlation some of the commenters are making between this incident and Will's statement about marriage. They don't have anything to do with eachother, I don't think Andy was insinuating that they were. There just happened to be two news items on Will Smith today, so they ended up in the same post.

@Derrick - I'd imagine one would run up to Bette Davis in the HOPES they would get slapped. :P

Posted by: antisaint | May 18, 2012 6:37:34 PM

21. This isn't about homophobia. The guy had no right to kiss him on the lips.

Posted by: Bob | May 18, 2012 6:44:15 PM

22. The man invaded Smith's space and did something most of the rest of us require permission before we proceed. While some of it may be a bit of "gay panic" - I likely would have handled it almost the same way.

While being gay may offer many of us more freedom of self expression, being gay is not a license to abuse others... In fact, there is no excuse for abusing others.

Posted by: Jay in SF | May 18, 2012 6:44:57 PM

23. Reminds me of the guys who squirted water on Tom Cruise a few years back but Tom was pretty cool about it but you could see Tom calm himself down. The slap by Will was more of what guys do to other guys, NOT an attack, and you could see he's making himself laugh about it but pissed off. If you're stupid enough to invade someone's space like that, be prepared for anything!

Posted by: Eddy | May 18, 2012 6:47:25 PM

24. I have had French friends visit me in Chicago. Kissing on each cheek is their custom. If the guy was aiming for Will's lips, I would sucker punch him too. I'm sure Will has been to Europe more than once in his lifetime.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | May 18, 2012 6:49:46 PM

25. It is inappropriate to kiss someone like that, nothing to do with gay panic tbh. If he's tried to kiss Madonna like that, she'd have decked him!

Posted by: SeanR | May 18, 2012 6:50:15 PM