BigGayDeal.com

Missouri Republican State Rep. Zach Wyatt Comes Out as Gay in Speech to GOP Colleagues: VIDEO

Wyatt

Republican Missouri State Rep. Zach Wyatt came out of the closet today in a speech to Republican colleagues, asking them to withdraw their support like anti-gay issues like the "Don't Say Gay" bill, which has been advancing through the legislature.

Said Wyatt:

"I will not lie to myself anymore about my own sexuality. It has probably been the hardest thing to come to terms with. I have always ignored it, didn't event think about it, or want to talk about it. I have not been immune to it. I hear the comments, usually snide ones, about me. I'm not the first or last Republican to come out. I've just gotten tired of the bigotry being shown from both sides of the aisle on gay issues."

Watch Wyatt's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Kirksville Daily Express reports:

Speaking in Hearing Room 5 at the State Capitol, Wyatt condemned what he called a “horrible bill” that would make illegal nearly all discussions on homosexuality in public schools, including conversations between students and school staff about their own sexuality. Wyatt, who last week issued a statement addressing his concerns on the bill and related his experiences being bullied as a child, called on his fellow Republicans to join him in the fight against bullying and in removing HB2051 from consideration.

“Today I ask you to stand with me as a proud Republican, a proud veteran, and a proud gay man who wants to protect all kids, addressing bullying in our schools,” Wyatt said.

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. Gosh, a closeted Republican who probably came out because he was about to be exposed? I'm trying to think of ways that I could care less, but they just aren't coming to me.

Posted by: Paul R | May 2, 2012 3:08:12 PM

2. Trust me, in Missouri, there is bigotry in the democratic party too. Plenty. As someone living in the state of Missouri, I find (most of) the people warm and accepting, at least to my face, there is plenty of nervousness about anyone who isn't "just like me." That goes for race, gender, religion and sexual orientation. This is the middle of the country and birds of a feather flock together as they say.

I applaud Wyatt for stepping up but for the life of me cannot understand any gay man who is Republican. How deaf can you be to what this party stands for? What does it feel like to hide from the reality that a portion of these people hate you...yes HATE you? Does looking out for your business or whatever you think the Republicans stand for (which is only the uber-rich who actually control the party...) to debase your soul by joining a group that states loud and clear that they do not want you?

I will never get trying to cuddle up to something that wants to cut out your heart.

Posted by: Bart | May 2, 2012 3:13:40 PM

3. Well, that's nice, Zach, congratulations for your service to the Gay Old Party.

Now who is that interesting cub in the grey suit?

Posted by: jim | May 2, 2012 3:16:37 PM

4. The tool is stupid enough to be "a proud Republican"?

Posted by: Jay | May 2, 2012 3:38:06 PM

5. Annnnnd... He's toast.

Posted by: Cinemaniac | May 2, 2012 4:04:55 PM

6. I can only applaud this guy for making this statement when it counts. Let's hope he can help change some minds, and that the evil bill will go down in flames.

Posted by: Rick | May 2, 2012 4:17:08 PM

7. I can't imagine why any closeted gay man would want to come out given the reception by this warm and open group of mouth breathers. What happened to celebrating someone finally having the courage to come out? It's easy to hide out in your parents basement and judge anonymously over the Internet. We all come to terms with our sexual orientation when we are supposed to. How about a little compassion?

Posted by: CB | May 2, 2012 4:34:14 PM

8. As far as both sides of the aisle, this is Missouri (MO, if you want to laugh a little), and the Dems can be pretty conservative, too. The Governor is a Blue Dog Democrat, the A.G. is a former Republican turned Democrat who is suing the Feds over 'Obamacare', outside STL and KC, it's a R-E-D state. It's also widely believed that he let his party run him off. He dropped out of the race not too long ago and is quitting politics to go study marine biology in Hawaii. Would be nice if he would stay and fight, but that's a decision only only he can make and who knows what they promised to do if he stayed and ran.

Posted by: Martin | May 2, 2012 4:46:26 PM

9. Here's a glimpse of his voting record courtesy of a commenter over at JMG: http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/123554/zachary-wyatt

Posted by: DK | May 2, 2012 4:52:21 PM

10. Now that he's out he's going to have to lose some weight.

The one on the left looks like he might be a potential boyfriend. Totally worth it.

The black guy in the middle looks like he's thinking, oh, oh, I hope he doesn't mention me.

Posted by: Keepin' It Straight | May 2, 2012 4:57:39 PM

11. But, back to the bill that raised this particular protest: it is a blatant effort to silence us and make us invisible again -- to put us back in their closet. This is, also, part of their attack on science and anything else that refutes or denies their blinkered worldview. We should start calling these pseudo-conservatives "egyptians." Not only should they free their slave population, they (sorry) live in denial. (No insult intended to the residents of modern Egypt intended. Maybe "pharoahs" would be more descriptive as it includes the issue of "ruling class.")

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 2, 2012 5:07:38 PM

12. Kudos to him for coming out. Closeted politicians, whether Democrat or Republican, seek to be invisible, and invisible gay people prevent civil rights progress.

He should be a proud out gay man now. But, why is he a "proud Republican"? His party is behind the Don't Say Gay bill. His party is behind all anti-gay legislation, and pro-gay legislation only succeeds with Democratic majorities. So he may say there is bigotry on both sides of the aisle, and I'm sure there is in MO, but what is the vote tally, Democrat vs. Republican? He may say that "being gay has never been a Republican or Democrat issue," but in fact it has: Republicans make it a Republican issue by proposing one anti-gay bill after the next.

Maybe once he gets out of Republican Dodge and gets lei'd in Hawaii he'll realize that coming out was the best thing he's ever done and that he was being disingenuous by saying that his sexuality isn't a Party issue. It most certainly is, the Richard Grenell fiasco being only the latest example.

Posted by: Ernie | May 2, 2012 5:17:08 PM

13. Sweet Jesus !
    Margaret Thatcher, a notable fascist, introduced Clause 28 in the UK in the 1980's .....to prevent teachers talking about homosexuality.
    That clause was repealed once she was gone; but there was absolute uproar against the Clause.......massive protests.
    When will Missouri learn from history of the example of other jurisdictions or is Missouri and the USA so parochial that either thinks that it has all knowledge ?

Posted by: JackFkTwist | May 2, 2012 5:26:17 PM

14. the hot guy in the grey suit wearing boxers is the head of the state LGBT group PROMO. (yes I know it's totally gay to focus on his hotness - don't judge.. lol)

Posted by: stevetalbert | May 2, 2012 6:33:15 PM

15. Who's the guy in the green tie... CUTE....wow anyone HELP...

Posted by: Garcia | May 2, 2012 6:49:16 PM

16. I give him credit for doing this while he's in office. He is a public figure at the mercy to a large extent of the whims of the general public/voter, so no, it's not an 'easy' thing to do, anymore than it's an easy thing to do for an entertainer or athlete who could stand to lose millions of $ if/when they publicly announce their sexuality.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 2, 2012 7:34:01 PM

17. I am not a Republican, but I can tell you that in NC, we are fighting bigotry on both sides of the aisle. Many Democrats are going to vote for the anti-gay amendment in my state, or have already since early voting has began over a week ago.
    In fact, we are going to lose because many in the Democratic party here are extremely religious and conservative. It's probably the big reason Obama won't mention our struggle here, or put his weight behind us in a meaningful way. NC will be a battleground state in Nov, and he does not want to alienate these voters.

Posted by: Mawm | May 2, 2012 7:44:24 PM

18. What a f*cking coward. He has the gall to come out after he voted AGAINST a non-discrimination bill. And then to come out as he jaunts off to Hawaii. He's a hypocrite and a coward.

Posted by: Sean | May 2, 2012 7:49:30 PM

19. I'm a gay dem, but I know some dems will vote for this there. We have some conservitive democrats, they are No better.

Posted by: GeorgeM | May 2, 2012 8:46:57 PM

20. Margaret Thatcher was no more a fascist than Obama is a socialist. People who want their comments to be taken seriously should drop the extremist rhetoric.

Posted by: jack | May 2, 2012 8:56:09 PM

21. "I give him credit for doing this while he's in office."

I agree he was brave to do it, but he is leaving office and going to Hawaii.

As for the both sides of the aisle people keep mentioning, what are the vote tallies? Was the Don't Say Gay bill equally supported by Democrats and Republicans? Gay Republicans need to at least acknowledge that there is a difference between the parties in even the most bigoted state legislatures. But he's newly out, so he may not be ready to get out of the party who will vote against his civil rights each and every time.

Posted by: Ernie | May 2, 2012 10:06:27 PM

22. I'm not surprised by most of the remarks here, after all, gay people have always been their own worst enemies.

What's truly cowardly is sitting on your fat sissy asses, essentially anonymous, ineffectual, and living lives of little to no consequence, while putting down anyone and everyone that is more brave than you are, has more integrity than you will ever have, and has more influence than you will ever have.

No wonder it's taken so long for gay people in America to make progress.

As for the partisan politics, only an idiot and a tool falls for THAT con, over and over again.

Silly fagots.

Posted by: NVTodd | May 3, 2012 2:33:14 AM

23. He's Gay!?! DUH!

Posted by: Rex | May 3, 2012 2:49:38 AM

24. That must have been the worst kept secret in the whofukkincares state. He opens his mouth and a purse falls out.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 3, 2012 9:42:55 AM

25. I was going to say, a good republican is a dead republican, but then I remembered some republicans changing their views and vote on gay marriage in NY.

Let me thank them again.

Posted by: Monrob | May 3, 2012 12:32:41 PM