Adam Lambert | Music | News

Adam Lambert Embracing Life as a Gay Role Model: VIDEO

Lambert

Adam Lambert gives an interview to Billboard, telling them that when he was starting out in his career he didn't really understand how to fill the part in gay culture that people were asking him to play, but now he's beginning to understand:

"At the beginning I was a little bit like, 'I don't know what to say, I don't know how to be that role model,' even though all of a sudden people are telling me I am. One of the things I find very gratifying now is that I have grown a lot more comfortable with my position and I'm embracing the opportunity to be able to address this stuff through music..."In so many cases, I find myself saying, I wanna be the really nice down-to-earth guy who happens to be gay in order to set an example that it's not threatening. Then there's another part of me that's like, no I wanna be fierce and ... do whatever I want because I'm a rebel. I have that battle inside of me. I know a lot of people do."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It's fascinating to me when a photo of a straight athlete (notably male) or public figure is posted...he's fawned over on here, praised and has dozens complimenting how they would love to be with him. Post a picture of Niel Patrick Harris, Adam Lambert, Wanda Sykes or any LGBT public figure and be prepared for nothing but hate. It's something our community REALLY truly needs to confront within themselves.

Do you have to support every gay individual because they are gay? No..BUT the level of disdain shown to 'one of our own' is something worth stepping back and reevaluating. There's so much lack of support with our fellow gay brothers and sisters, how do we ever expect straight folks to support us? Learn respect and learn your history.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jun 26, 2012 12:45:59 AM

2. I agree with others.

An Adam Lambert making his mark in his chosen platform in entertainment is much more than Adam Lambert, it's the fact that there is a gwon gay men in a HOSTILE society attaining exposure. That exposure spills over the young gay people- even if it's few, who can see his celebrity/success and draw inspiration from it. It's more than you, or me or Adam...it's the profound message that comes with being an openly gay man, who celebrates being gay and support that.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jun 26, 2012 12:48:47 AM

3. It's also the "straight ACTING" crowd of gays who resent a flamboyent gay man out in the limelight. They resent the fact that there IS diversity within the gay community. How much fem bashing is there by the "STR8 acting" gays? They are no different than the worst homophobe. It's time we call them out for their lack of respect and tolerance for the diversity in that rainbow flag. Butch lesbians, fem gays, our older LGBT our ethnic minority LGBT have JUST as much room in our dinner table as you PASSABLE for hetro gays. Know that, otherwise, you are not reflective of our communities values and our open heart.

Posted by: IndieMusicFan | Jun 26, 2012 1:00:41 AM

4. I love him. I love everything he represents. Neither his look, his sexuality, his styling nor his beautiful singing is generic. Not being "normal" attracts hate. Just look at the brutal resentment within our own community toward gays who are different. Not heterosexual appearing.

More than appreciating Lambert for his spark, the devil's advocate in me likes him because he invites all the haters and his success makes the haters blood boil. Even on here.
    Sorry, not all of us only like the muscular, hetro normative gay man. We're comfortable enough in our skin to appreciate an Adam.

Posted by: GregCali | Jun 26, 2012 1:03:38 AM

5. I was in my senior year of high school when Adam was competing on American Idol. What a challenging year it was for me in school. I was picked on and defeated daily, but I totally could identify with Adam. How he had a dream, how he was different.
    I don't know why some gays think those of us like Adam don't exist. We do. And we're usually the most fragile in the community. We're the ones who do need an Adam out there who gives us hope. Not everyone has to be like you, and if you think they do, than you're just a bigot.
    Thanks Adam for helping me get through my senior year with Pride and giving me strength

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2012 1:06:02 AM

6. He's an incredible rolde model, not just for LGBT but anyone who doesn't feel "normal" and is different. He didn't apologize for being different. So easy in this world to loose yourself and cave into people who demand you be the same as everyone else. But that's an unattractive quality.

Unapologetically being yourself is what is HOT!

Posted by: AJ | Jun 26, 2012 1:07:36 AM

7. Give me and Adam who wears eyeliner and is comfortable in his skin over a Rick who is a self loathing, hetero obsessed individual with an UNHEALTHY obsession with masculinity. I went through the "must be straight appearing at all costs" phase...then I celebrated my 20th birthday. lol.

If anything, today I appreciate a gay man with some fem in him. That willingness to be yourself and true to yourself and have some charisma is so appealing to me.

GO ADAM!

Posted by: SoccerEnthusiast | Jun 26, 2012 1:12:38 AM

8. The question is being good at what? I think Clay Aiken is a much better singer. I love these little psychology lessons. The old "hate yourself" cliche. What a bunch of boring drips today's boys are. We were stars, paving the way. For this??

Posted by: Jack | Jun 26, 2012 1:44:41 AM

9. I met him at a show last year. He was so gracious to me and my partner. VERY genuine and what you see on camera is exactly what you get. I became an even bigger fan instantly.

I agree with being more supportive of our own brothers and sisters under the LGBT umbrella. You may not be a fan of their singing or acting or hosting or whatever, but you should grasp the importance of celebrating their presence on the map. A map that did not welcome us unless we changed the fibers of who we were. We all share a common story in our community and should be happy for one another.

Posted by: Austin-ite | Jun 26, 2012 1:49:22 AM

10. Love him. Love that everything he represents makes the boring, generic, straight laced gay man of the burbs feel uncomfortable. MY type of person.

Posted by: Fiat | Jun 26, 2012 1:51:17 AM

11. @Fiat

I agree. Aside from his beautiful talent, he's like the anti Log Cabin republican. Everything about Lambert represents the polar opposite of a Conservative gay and probably invites their resentment, and for that, I sorta love him even more myself

Posted by: Tres Chic | Jun 26, 2012 1:52:37 AM

12. Gay, talented, openly himself, an advocate of equality, handsome, succesful, strong, and I love every bit of it.

You go boy!

Posted by: Kielan | Jun 26, 2012 1:53:57 AM

13. @ Jack

Yes, gays of yesteryear sure did pave the way for Adam's. And fem gays. And gays who like to perform in drag. And lesbians who don't want to wear makeup. And many, many other non conformist gays. Infact, that was the very whole purpose of our movement. TO BE YOURSELF. It's the -straight acting- self loathing within the gay community, like Rick and yourself, who attempt to hijack that purpose. You never will. So long as gays exist:

* Flamboyent gay men WILL

* Drag queens WILL exist

* Millions of feminine gay men WILL exist

* Butch lesbians who may be biker chicks will exist

* and those of us who know the above groups are just as valid, important and stellar in our community will exist.

They will not go anywhere. They are imbedded in the fabric of LGBT- forever. The ignorance from your camp of gays who preach intolerance and can only respect gays who look/act/dress/and talk like you will be challenged. Vocally so. If you think the gay community will EVER get to a day where we shun our fem gay brothers, butch lesbian sisters, and drag queens, you need to brace yourself for a long miserable existence. This community has and will always be an inclusive one.

Posted by: CortixNVolriat | Jun 26, 2012 2:01:31 AM

14. CortixNVolria,

Beautifully stated!

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jun 26, 2012 2:03:05 AM

15. @ CortixNVolria

One of my favorite posts I've ever read on towleroad. Thank you for sharing that and tackling the bigotry within our community. More of us need to do so.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jun 26, 2012 2:04:02 AM

16. @ Rick

You hyper masculine gays are the biggest cancer to our community. We as a community really need to come together and banish this fem-phobia we have, and take to task these hyper masculine gays who account for so much of our anguish. You all are the leading cause for so many LGBT feeling unwanted because of their natural mannerisms. You truly are vile and we as a community sincerely don't do enough shunning the hyper masculine gay crowd. You guys are one f-ed up bag of issues after another and want us all to be as insecure as you are. No, thanks.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 26, 2012 2:17:49 AM

17. CortixNVolria......PREACH! Nailed it.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 26, 2012 2:19:20 AM

18. Please. Now that he realizes that most mainstream audiences don't like him -- 2 flop singles and counting -- he's pandering to his core audience.

And I'm laughing at him because he was kinda jackholish about being viewed as a gay role model, now he's okay with it. Seriously.

Posted by: Glenn | Jun 26, 2012 2:44:53 AM

19. Seems grounded, genuine and well spoken. Good for his pursuits. All the best to him, and anyone for that matter who can pursue their happiness while not discrediting a part of who they are.

Posted by: Dizzybusy | Jun 26, 2012 3:03:38 AM

20. @ Glenn...he has the #1 on Billboard 200 Chart.

Posted by: IndieMusicFan | Jun 26, 2012 3:05:50 AM

21. @ Glen,

His number one album on Billboard says you're wrong. He just finished a tour, was on The View, Jay Leno, Ellen, and dozens of other shows, and has been traveling the world. Simmer down on the hate, and go find something in life that makes you happy.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jun 26, 2012 3:07:14 AM

22. Glenn,

His albums have been doing well, and have been getting great support by music critics and bloggers. He's very talented and will always have a spot in the music arena.

Posted by: lazerlightsdreamz | Jun 26, 2012 3:10:47 AM

23. Glad a majority of the gay commentators on here can celebrate a fellow gay man.

Posted by: lazerlightsdreamz | Jun 26, 2012 3:13:16 AM

24. @ CortixNVolria

Beautifully put!!!

Posted by: lazerlightsdreamz | Jun 26, 2012 3:14:34 AM

25. Cortix - you're right of course but all of these types - often angry people - are likely to be far less extreme and noticeable when being gay is more widely accepted. So just go about your life with the agreeable people you enjoy and forget about the rest. Why count yourself among a "community" that is of little actual interest and likely to blend in more completely with the fulness of time as I myself already do? My gay friends don't represent more of me than my straight friends.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 26, 2012 3:16:24 AM