Music | News | Opera

America's Goth Talent: VIDEO

Goth

Austin goth Andrew De Leon gave America's Got Talent its Susan Boyle moment this week.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. it was good but please don't call it a "Susan Boyle Moment"... Nobody compares to Susan Boyle!!

Posted by: Lucas | Jun 8, 2012 11:24:02 AM

2. That's sounds like a true contra-tenor voice, which is exceedingly rare, rather than just falsetto.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 8, 2012 11:37:45 AM

3. And UFFDA is Republican swine and as such should be completely ignored on this and all other threads.

As for accusations of envy, I absolutely do NOT have any singing talent whatsoever. I can't even be auto-tuned. Further, I have no desire to appear on, work for, or even watch reality TV "contests." Envious? Yeh, no. Try again.

Posted by: endo | Jun 8, 2012 11:55:11 AM

4. he's rather beautiful

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 8, 2012 12:01:04 PM

5. Nice, for the 20-30 seconds he sang. I think a full 4 minute song in falsetto is going to get old pretty quickly, though.

Posted by: Tom A. | Jun 8, 2012 1:45:44 PM

6. Perhaps it's scripted, but the story of a kid who doesn't fit in and feels like a freak who harbors something surprising and wonderful is a tale that never gets old. It certainly strikes a chord for me. Though I don't have the talent. To the opera critics, sure, it may be that he doesn't have a classically trained voice and messed up to your trained ears. But you're missing the bigger picture--that there is something wonderful here, however raw, and through his talent, perhaps he'll find a way to be accepted and even respected by his parents and peers in a way that he has never felt. This is a story of hope.

Posted by: dms | Jun 8, 2012 1:52:54 PM

7. ENDO - nice try loser, you're what they call cheap entertainment with or without talent.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 8, 2012 2:12:15 PM

8. I. F*cking. LOVE. Sharon Osbourne!

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 8, 2012 2:30:18 PM

9. His days of being an outcast are over, he is a beautiful person with a beautiful voice and he will go far. Brings a tear to my eye. If only those who rejected him try to know him they might know how beautiful he is. Hopefully one day people will not reject people who are different and miss out on the beauty that we all have.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 8, 2012 2:59:22 PM

10. Endo, you ass_ume a lot... and you know what that always does. I'm guessin that it's a bad habit. And no, I have no idea if the guy is gay, nor did I even think about it, nor does it matter ragarding what I said.

Posted by: Tarc | Jun 8, 2012 3:28:36 PM

11. To those criticizing his voice, he's only 19 years old!! Some music conservatory is going to snap him up, and we'll be hearing a lot about him after some professional training.

Posted by: WindyCity | Jun 8, 2012 3:53:29 PM

12. Frequently, the people who do well on these shows offer a contradiction between their appearance and their voice. We are used to "judging a book by its cover," especially when it comes to entertainers. Carrie Underwood is expected; Susan Boyle is not. That's why Eugene Landau Murphy was also a hit. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS82a4ElQKk)

We'll see how far Andrew goes. Opera talents are often harder to advance and we don't know what else he can do. I also think that there is not always total "reality" in "reality TV." But I bet this guy's story is basically true, so that makes it moving.

Posted by: gr8guya | Jun 8, 2012 4:33:49 PM

13. It's amazing that humans can make such heavenly sounds!

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 8, 2012 5:28:14 PM

14. Besides orchestral music, I'm also a big opera fan.

Maybe Andrew loses a few points for intonation, but I liked it - a lot. He doesn't have the power of true castrati (from what we know), but he sings well in falsetto. However, I'm skeptical of the value of falsetto in real opera, and I'd like to hear what his full singing voice sounded like. Regardless, I'd buy an album of his.

The look is wonderfully contradictory on the surface, but considering the tons of make-up used in opera, he'll fit right in.

Steve

Posted by: Steve | Jun 8, 2012 6:10:22 PM

15. If this young man grew up in Texas, he has had enough bullying to last him ten lifetimes. If he is gay, okay. If he is not gay, okay. What he did by stepping out in front of a packed house, did not hesitate to respond to Howard's not funny remark about his appearance, and then to sing without tossing his cookies took balls the size of cantaloupes. Growing up in Texas and not being into sports is to invite every homophobe in the town, county, and state to make some comment about his looks and his manhood. You would think that some people that had undergone any of the bullying experience would know when it is time to let it go and have something positive to say about this young man's talent. Before you decide to join the derision, stop and think about what we as a nation have done to our children. Either you are part of the problem or you are part of the solution. As for me,I am going to say: Andrew DeLeon, good job.

Posted by: vanndean | Jun 8, 2012 11:04:27 PM

16. That was really not very good at all.

Posted by: michael | Jun 9, 2012 2:37:15 AM

17. Cela m'a fait penser: et si, quand j'étais jeune, mes parents n'avaient pas été en mesure de payer mes lunettes? Que serait ma vie ont été? Heureusement, ma vue est quelque chose que je peux prendre pour acquis. Je veux essayer d'aider d'autres personnes leur tenir pour acquis ainsi.

Posted by: ray ban wayfarer pas cher | Jun 10, 2012 10:08:25 PM

18. He should hook up with Phillippe Jarousskey and Max Emanuel Cencic, in some minds the two premier contra-tenors signed by EIM classics.
    It'd be a worthy contribution to the music world if he went on to develop his talent.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 11, 2012 4:16:42 PM