Andy Cohen | Chris Matthews | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Andy Cohen Does Not Understand Log Cabin Republicans: VIDEO

AndyCohenLogCabin

Bravo host Andy Cohen appeared on Chris Matthews' MSNBC show last night to discuss his past work for CBS News, his new book and tonight's pro-Obama fundraiser at Sarah Jessica Parker's house.

Then, toward the end of their interview, Matthews asked Cohen why a gay man would ever join the Log Cabin Republicans.

Here's Cohen's response:

It's something I've never understood. I was executive producer of a documentary years ago called Gay Republicans. I'm interested in why someone would support a party that doesn't necessarily support equality for that person. And I can only assume it's about the wallet. It's about 'I'm a fiscal Republican'.

But for me — and it's funny. I'm not political on my show at all, but gay issues are something that not only are of a great concern to me, but just as a human being, I feel so obviously passionate about being treated equally to everyone else that it is the one thing that I really speak up about on my show.

So, I can't — I can't understand, Chris, the idea of saying, 'Oh well, they're going to put more money in my bank account. Who cares if they don't believe I can get married?' I don't get it.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I guess Im a 1 issue voter then - cause to me, as a Gay American...My Equality as a American is #1 period!!! My equlaity in EVERY aspect of American Life is no#1 with me! So - I'll NEVER VOTE for this brand of GOP Hate mongers and Bigots! My Equal Rights trump any Material things!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 12:09:37 PM

2. How do you know he's 53... Explains some things

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 14, 2012 12:09:43 PM

3. I'm a Libertarian, but what I find extremely telling is how hateful people like @LittlePeePee and some of your are in this thread. If you are the so-called 'tolerant' ones, you need to look up that word in the dictionary, honey, because there ain't nothin' tolerant about your blind hatred for those you don't agree with. Shameful.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 14, 2012 12:12:18 PM

4. @RK I didn't say I had not experienced discrimination; we all have, in one way or another; I simply said that many gay people do not believe that passing legislation will make much difference in eliminating discrimination in the workplace or elsewhere.

I don't believe it will make much difference, myself--I think the real key to eradicating homophobia is to change the male culture, which will not occur via legislation.

That said, I am all for such legislation ans support efforts to pass it.

As do most gay Republicans.

(Although, just to be clear, I am not a Republican, myself.)

Posted by: Rick | Jun 14, 2012 12:12:18 PM

5. Alan, I'm sorry that your own family offers no support for you, nor acceptance.

But at some point you'll have to grow a pair and realize that your "tolerating their intolerance" is the reason you've not been accepted.

Take a lesson from liberals - when you stop tolerating intolerance, it forces people to rethink their positions. How well has "your" way worked for you so far? All that right-wing sucking up, and you're still an embarrassment and shame to them.

it's not a difference of opinion, it's an opinion steeped in bigotry, prejudicial rhetoric, and a refusal to acknowledge truths.

and as long as you and wimps like Rick, who wants to "change male culture" but not actually change it. no, that would require work and being Out. he wants other people to change it "for him" while he remains closeted. won't happen. Out gay men aren't crippled by hateful insecurity like he is. so he'll just die miserable and jealous and alone :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 12:18:40 PM

6. It really all boils down to greed. Some people love money more than they love themselves.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 14, 2012 12:26:31 PM

7. What a load of crap. We all know that the more people who have gay friends and family members are much more likely to become supportive on issues important to the gay community. However, those who preach for tolerance scream in horror and outrage at anyone who dares even consider being a Republican. Ridiculous.

We should celebrate the brave individuals who are putting themselves out there instead of excoriating them. They are doing the Lord's work. So many times the ones pleading for tolerance and inclusion are the least tolerant and inclusive. And there's never a mention of all the huge amount of conservative gay Democrats.

I dream of a world without the self-appointed Gay spokesman and Chief Narcissist of Bravo, Andy Cohen.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jun 14, 2012 12:29:32 PM

8. hey LincolnLOunger, stop "dreaming" of that world and stand up and do it yourself.

Get a homepage. Make a youtube video. Oh, wait. That would require you to be something other than a cowardly self-hating homosexual wimp whose family doesn't love him though, right?

too bad then. keep complaining anonymously. way to change the world, wuss :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 12:33:43 PM

9. @rick and all his other troll friends

Being tolerant of intolerance does not make you tolerant. It makes you yourself intolerant.

I know your mind probably exploded reading that sentence. Take a few minutes/hours/years to ponder that one.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Jun 14, 2012 12:37:42 PM

10. . My billioniare gay cousin on how he can vote republican, "Do you have any idea how fucking rich I am."

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 14, 2012 12:39:21 PM

11. Cohen has made Bravo the shallowest pile of trash on TV, which is saying a lot. And he want's to criticize the Log Cabinettes? Please. Birds of a self involved feather.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jun 14, 2012 12:59:40 PM

12. I joined the Log Cabin Republicans last month when I decided to switch sides on the gay equality issue. I haven't yet attended any meetings or met any people, but the group's website states that it supports marriage equality.

Also, for equality to be a bi-partisan issue it needs advocates in BOTH parties. Making the Republican party pro-gay won't happen overnight. And it will never happen at all of gays (and their straight allies) shun the Republican party completely.

I can understand why gay liberals and moderates would despise LCR. But it serves a useful function. If it does nothing but prevent pro-gay Republicans from being totally isolated it's still useful.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 14, 2012 1:06:55 PM

13. Rick says -
    "They (Log Cabin people) are doing far more to advance our cause than the radical clowns parading around in the streets in high heels at Pride, who do nothing but reinforce negative stereotypes of us and alienate people in the social mainstream."

This is entirely true, absolutely undeniable and totally manfest. Also that every cause has it's underbelly.

Well behaved, naturally effeminant men are as fine as any other. Though they may make a good many people uncomfortable most can get over it. Flambuoyant queens misbehaving in a public parade are another - disastrous - thing altogether and are rightly scorned or viewed with contempt. Yet we will succeed despite their unhelpful effect which is at least as poisonous as the religious right.

KIWI of course sputters with rage, cannot change these facts, takes up far too much space and is best left unread.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 14, 2012 1:20:14 PM

14. Rick says -

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 14, 2012 1:22:11 PM

15. "Yet we will succeed despite their unhelpful effect which is AT LEAST AS POISONOUS (emphasis mine) as the religious right."

You cannot be serious. I can't believe it. Now I've heard everything.

Posted by: Task | Jun 14, 2012 1:41:55 PM

16. There are many that should be left unread

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 14, 2012 1:56:57 PM

17. Andy Cohen is making generalizations about a topic he knows nothing about. I can understand that level of ignorance from Matthews, but Cohen does surprise me because of his past work about Log Cabin Republicans. The Republican Party is not just about the wallet. Yes, we do believe in free enterprise, capitalism and low taxes which all relate to money. But it is more than that. We believe in personal responsibility, small government and strict constitutional interpretation. Do I, as a gay republican, care about equality for all including gay men and women? Of course I do. To say anything other than that is plain stupidity. However, do I vote for a man (or woman) that I disagree with 99% of the time just because he or she may support gay rights or do I vote for someone that I agree with 99% but disagree with their stance on gay marriage? I respect everyone’s right to chose and believe what they want. What I find most disturbing and offensive, is that the gay community always resorts to name calling and slander when presented with opinions other than what they personally believe. Just read the comments posted above for examples. I understand that most of the gay community is liberal. But please, just because you happen to disagree with me on my political beliefs, please refrain from the name calling, the slandering and the discrimination that is often directed towards me or anyone else that happen to believe as I do.

Posted by: DJ | Jun 14, 2012 2:04:33 PM

18. well seeing how the evidence & history shows that republican policies only put more $ in the 1%s pockets and everyone else's finances go down while Dem policies put more $ in everyone's pockets

the gay republican excuse of "financial conservative" is BS since most of them not only don't benefit from repub financial policies but are many times hurt by such

its all about the racism with gay repubs

& anecdotal evidence, I have never met a gay repub who wasn't a raving racist

Posted by: say what | Jun 14, 2012 2:06:03 PM

19. DJ, people were mostly getting testy with guys like Alan and Rick who troll on here and say anti-femme/women/people of color things frequently.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 14, 2012 2:14:30 PM

20. DJ, people were mostly getting testy with guys like Alan and Rick who troll on here and say anti-femme/women/people of color things frequently.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 14, 2012 2:14:37 PM

21. @Say What

All I can say is WOW. I can't even believe someone can make a statement like that. I am a gay republican and I am far from being racist. For you to make such a sweeping generalization such as that does nothing more that show your racial belief.

Posted by: DJ | Jun 14, 2012 2:15:12 PM

22. Tolerance does not include tolerating intolerance as that would negate tolerance to begin with.

Also we socially and culturally construct tolerance by shaming intolerance.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 14, 2012 2:25:32 PM

23. Hey DJ, how about you show us all the incredible pro-Equality work that you and your Republican family are doing to promote understand and acceptance of LGBT people within the GOP?

Simply put, I call your bluff. What specific work are you and your GOP-voting family doing to promote Equality for LGBT people within the GOP?

For once it'd be remarkable for one of these "gay republicans" to actually put a face to their claims and back their s**t up.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 2:38:28 PM

24. How does the republicans party equate small government and the way they treat or legislate laws about us? Personally I think it's a joke but that's just my belief

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jun 14, 2012 2:38:34 PM

25. THANK YOU SAY WHAT!

If you want to just deal with policies and facts, there's nothing "fiscally conservative' about the GOPs fiscal plans. It's hoarding money for the wealthiest percentile, at the expense of all others.

And again, no "gay republicans" can put a face to their comments. Telling. You show me a gay republican and I'll show you a wimp who never learned to stand up to his lame-@ss parents.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 2:47:41 PM