Adam Carolla | News

BigGayDeal.com

Adam Carolla Justifies Anti-Gay Jokes Because 'Nice Doesn't Get Laughs': VIDEO

Carolla

Sara Gilbert asked Adam Carolla about making jokes at the expense of gay people yesterday on The Talk. Carolla seems to think it's perfectly okay, as long as he gets a laugh out of it.

Said Carolla:

“If somebody says to me, ‘What do you think of your mother-in-law,’ and I go, ‘Oh, she’s a delight, I love her dearly,’ nobody laughs. So if they say, ‘What do you think of Chaz Bono,’ I have to say something that’s horrible, so I can get a laugh. And everyone goes, 'oh, that's what you think?' Nice doesn’t get laughs, especially on stage...When did we start holding comedians up to the level of politicians and teachers? We're supposed to say these things...we make no policies. I don't control anything. I just tell jokes."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Not following us on Twitter @TLRD yet? We appreciate it when you SHARE and RT our content using the tools below.

Comments

1. Don Rickles and Joan Rivers can rest easy...Adam is no threat.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 20, 2012 11:49:25 AM

2. I was unaware that Adam Carolla get laughs.

Posted by: db | Jun 20, 2012 11:52:50 AM

3. COMEDIANS KNOW BETTER THAN MAKE RACIST JOKES! YEARS AGO I WAS WATCHING COMEDY CENTAL STANDUP AND A COMEDIAN MADE A JOKE ABOUT TOY DOGS BEING F-------T DOGS. AUDIANCE ROARED. I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT NAACP WOULD NEVER ALLOW A JOKE ABOUT A PIT BULL BEING A N----R DOG!!!

LUCKILY TIMES ARE CHANGING FAST! BIGOTED JOKES OF WHATEVER FLAVOR ARE ALWAYS IN BAD TASTE.

Posted by: James B | Jun 20, 2012 11:56:44 AM

4. RE: Lampinelli. Gut reaction when I caught her show on HBO a few years back? Not funny, extremely offensive. I hadn't heard of her, didn't know that she is supposedly pro-gay. Learning otherwise hasn't diminished my dislike. I don't think "context" has enough power to override the negativity.

Posted by: TJ | Jun 20, 2012 11:56:53 AM

5. "And the lesbian gives him a pass w/a smile"

I went to see Wanda Syke's stand-up show about a year ago and she ridiculed gay men with stereotypical depictions, while all the lesbians in the audience roared their approval.

I guess some would assume that because she, herself, is gay, that she had "positive intent," but I have serious doubts, myself.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 11:57:13 AM

6. If "unfunny" presented itself as a laser, Adam could bore (literally) through to the center of the earth. He has no concept.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 20, 2012 11:58:55 AM

7. Many comedians make jokes about gays... what "gives the right" to poke fun? If they a friendly to us and our group they get to make fun? I agree with what's already been stated, that intent is a huge factor.

Also, the stage on which the jokes are made can make all the difference. Adam Corolla made it a point of making jokes during a popular daytime talk show. HE made it political. If he really was going to claim he was being comedic, he'd have saved it for his act with his fans. A little bit of tact goes a long way.

Posted by: Mathew Clemons | Jun 20, 2012 12:05:42 PM

8. I'd call Carolla a prick except I like pricks. His claim to fame, such as it is, is a show he did a decade ago with Jimmy Kimmel who went on to have, you know, an actual CAREER. If you ever see Carolla on TV (don't go out of your way- it's not worth it) he's just a sour loser with Chiclet teeth, Dennis Miller without a thesaurus.

So far as Lisa Lampanelli is concerned, she could take her act on the KKK circuit without changing a word and be a big hit. I'm not going to get up in arms about it but for me throwing in the occasional "You know I'm just kidding, I love you guys" isn't enough to overcome the core offensiveness of her 'humor.'

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 20, 2012 12:08:34 PM

9. It's not about intent, it's about delivery and the mentality behind the delivery, and anyone who knows what I'm talking about knows there is a BIG difference when Kathy Griffin delivers an gay joke, and when Adam Carolla does it. Big difference.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 20, 2012 12:10:44 PM

10. "And you're just reacting to headlines, you've never heard any of his work."

His "work"? Who is he, Leonardo da Vinci?

Posted by: FML | Jun 20, 2012 12:30:12 PM

11. Carolla should check out the repulsive career of ANDREW DICE CLAY which went belly up over his extremely homophobic "humor". Today he can't get out from under the bus.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 20, 2012 12:32:39 PM

12. It would be one thing if his jokes were funny, but let's face it, he is about as funny as ball cancer. Or as Rick, whichever is more objectionable.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 20, 2012 12:33:29 PM

13. @Rick: I also saw Wanda Sykes do those jokes about gay men and felt those were funny and totally fine. A black, gay woman knows better than anyone where the line is, and she stayed within it.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 20, 2012 12:36:41 PM

14. Plus, Wanda Sykes does actual activism for GLBT and marriage equality.

Tell you what, if Carolla wants to become a GLBT activist, make speeches and push for gay rights legislation, I'll give him a pass for a snarky gay joke here or there.

Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen.

(Oh, and also, beyond any gay issue, Wanda Sykes is hilarious. Adam Carolla is about as funny as infant mortality statistics).

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 20, 2012 12:58:54 PM

15. Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Adam Carolla.
    Adam Carolla who?
    'Nuff said.

Posted by: Socal | Jun 20, 2012 1:11:46 PM

16. Never heard of him.

Posted by: Ninong | Jun 20, 2012 1:35:45 PM

17. No one likes being the butt of a joke, but everyone will laugh at someone else's expense. The day gay men stop laughing at fat jokes or Republican jokes is the day we can ban gay jokes.

Posted by: anon | Jun 20, 2012 1:45:09 PM

18. "A black, gay woman knows better than anyone where the line is, and she stayed within it"

Because blacks in general tend to be empathetic towards other minorities, especially gays? Nice theory that, unfortunately, has proven to be totally invalidated by their actual behavior.

"Plus, Wanda Sykes does actual activism for GLBT and marriage equality."

Just because lesbians see value in aligning themselves with us politically and vice-versa does not necessarily mean that all or even most of them like us or respect us.

"Wanda Sykes is hilarious"

She was definitely hilarious paired with Larry David on "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I did not find her stand-up act to be that funny, though, stereotyping of gay men aside. Way too potty-mouthed and way too political. Maybe it was just the show I saw, but I was very disappointed. I think her strength is playing off others in a skit, not telling jokes, but that is just me.

I still like her and am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I definitely did not like what I saw that night.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 2:32:16 PM

19. @UFFDA Last night on Charlie Rose, Woody Allen's producer revealed that Allen's next film will include Andrew Dice Clay, playing a character, not playing himself.

I was pretty shocked. Seems totally out of character for Woody Allen, but then again, so did sleeping with and then marrying his adopted daughter.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 2:34:36 PM

20. Good grief, Adam Corolla, if you are asked about Chaz Bono, you just turn it into a Cher joke. (And not a joke rooted in misogyny but something about her persona.) Like others have said, it is such a fine line and it depends on the connection with the audience. Even when a video is shown or one hears it second hand, a joke can fall flat or come off as offensive. On the whole, though, it is rarely good form for the person in a more powerful position making a joke about someone in the less powerful position.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 20, 2012 3:21:40 PM

21. Adam Carolla is a BIG DORK no matter what kind of "jokes" he tells!

Posted by: andrew | Jun 20, 2012 3:42:06 PM

22. Two words in response to his thesis that nice isn't funny: (1) Ellen (2) DeGeneres (to whom Adam Carolla actually doesn't hold a handle as a comedian).

Ellen definitely puts a lie to the notion that you have to minority-bash, or bash people generally, to be funny.

I hope Carolla re-thinks some things (and, meantime, I'm happy to boycott his career).

Posted by: Tom KL | Jun 20, 2012 4:29:49 PM

23. Ah, yes...Rick comes on to complain about his penis. Sad.

If you really can't think of any male comedians that can walk that line, then you really haven't been paying attention. That means you have some homework: Before you start finding conspiracy theories about the Great Gay Fairies (TM) who are trying to emasculate you (and I'm *really* sorry about your penis, dude), go out and watch some standup comics first.

Posted by: Rrhain | Jun 20, 2012 4:42:05 PM

24. A non-funny homophobe CONservative justifying using jokes against GLBTs will not give him a free pass to continue to do that.

I hope now that he has brought a light to what he does, next time he brings out homophobic jokes, GLAAD and others will go after him.

It is NOT acceptable to make jokes at a minority that is still opressed. Period.

Posted by: FunMe | Jun 20, 2012 5:19:28 PM

25. Thank you, Towleroad. Did I say I love you, man :-).

And I'm not referring to Adam Corolla. OR Lisa Lampanelli.

Adam Corolla is MY personal enemy now. Good to know. I am not a fan.

And I'm not a fan of Lisa Lampanelli either.

Both are IMHO suck-wads preying on anti-gay money. And to the extent they prey on claiming-to-be-pro-gay money, they are putting those pro-gay dollars to work for an anti-gay cause: Their own pocketbooks.

That's great. It's 1868 and it's "funny" to trash on black folk.

Uh, not so funny.

Dude, Mr. Corolla. YOUR STANCE, YOUR MONEY-MAKING "LAUGH"-making machine IS the problem.

See, folks, religion is NOT our biggest enemy. And religion is not even our most consistent historical oppressor. No, y'all, it's uninformed-straights or self-disgusted lgbtq folk who EQUATE lgbtq with sexual acts and sexual outlooks that they deem worthy of mistreatment, that they see as RIPE to shamelessly KEEP DOWN for their own PROFIT.

Think I'm wrong? Well, did you know Stonewall didn't happen in response to religious folk oppressing gays?! No, Stonewall happened in response to the NYC police people relying on RAIDING lgbtq establishments to collect BRIBE money. CORRUPT money and abuse, y'all. THAT is the real, biggest long-term enemy of lgbt folk AND of a better future for regular upstanding Americans.

Adam Corrolla--based on his comments right here posted on Towleroad--IS PRECISELY all ABOUT preying upon gays for PROFIT.

Not cool, a***ole. Not cool. You are NOT a bro, NOT a good guy. Adam Corrola, you are NOT to be trusted, sorry kid.

If you don't change your ways and have a change of heart, Mr. Corolla, I TRULY hope someone, somewhere cuts you off. Stops your stride. Cuz you are USING gay people, even if sometimes against themselves. NOT responsible. NOT laudable. NOT "funny," ya insecure WEAK comedian.

And I'm not inclined to give Lisa Lampenelli or others in the same category a break for being female. No. Again, NOPE, Lisa Lampenelli is the BIGGEST perpetrator of the F***** word on the planet besides maybe that one straight bald comedian who also wrongly overuses it to his benefit. BOTH such well-paid $$$$$$ pro comedians use the word to make predominantly STRAIGHT or lukewarm-affirmative-lgbtq folk pay them $$$$$ and promote them, all with the GUISE that oh, they support and and are friends and advocates of lgbtqs. BS. Ya ain't really.

These are PERIOD comedians who will one day be looked down upon for their work if my life means anything.

And mark my words, THESE are the real stalwart opponents to our recognition--legally and otherwise--as decent, fellow, equal human folk.

By contrast, I see the church as slowly changing---at least in fractions. And that's growth, and important. I see church people as ones who ACTUALLY can grow OVERNIGHT by leaps and bounds.

Gay-belittling folk of whatever orientation, NOT SO MUCH. Regardless of their attempts to appear friends of the gay communities and lgbtq individuals.

The immoral "moral majority" was given it's most POWER and FORCE by PRECISELY a Hollywood-type, SUPPOSEDLY respecting of diversity, etc.: Mr. Ronald-hypocritical-Reagan. The anti-gay "Christianity" that has RULED our churches for 30+ years now did NOT originate as a CHRISTIAN notion.

No, Christianity was a SMOKESCREEN. By CLAIMING that their hate of gays was based on an interpretation of a religious text, they AVOIDED THE REAL ISSUE. The REAL ISSUE was that they truly felt ENTITLED to belittle and mistreat lgbtq people based on how they had been trained to think about these people's sexual orientation and identity.

Also, like a devious bull-fighter, folks like Ronald Hypocrite made RELIOUS COMMUNITIES the target of the great big powerful and robust BULL that is us, the brave and determined lgbtq folk. Of course, the religious "leaders" then figured out there was OODLES of money in hating gays, and so took up the anti-gay movement in MAJOR gusto, including claiming ownership of it.

But lets not forget who are deepest real enemies are, have always been, and will always be: Queer-desecrating folk like Adam Corolla who feel they are ENTITLED to profit off misunderstanding and underappreciation of lgbtq folk in the world.

If you don't change, Mr. Corolla, mark my words: KARMA WILL GET YOU, guy.

(That said, I really hope I'm wrong, and that Mr. Corolla means well and will reconsider his determination to profit from desecrating gay people. Corolla was a good, dependable car to me once upon a time, ya know ;-).)

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 20, 2012 6:18:38 PM