Carrie Underwood | News

BigGayDeal.com

Carrie Underwood Faces Right-Wing Backlash Over Remarks Supporting Marriage Equality

Earlier this month, Carrie Underwood expressed her support for marriage equality in an interview with the UK's Independent, noting that noted that her church is gay-friendly and it isn't her job to judge people:

Underwood"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," she said. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

She's now facing right-wing backlash, the AP reports:

Speaking in London, Underwood was uncomfortable revisiting the subject and said she was staying away from reading the reactions.

"I was asked a difficult question in the last five minutes of an interview and I answered it the best way I knew how, and after that I do what I do and I love making music and I generally try to stay out of any kind of controversy," she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

That said, Underwood is a former "American Idol" and Grammy winner who knows what she says will be heard.

"The role-model word is really scary to me, because no matter what happens in your life, something you do, wear, say, sing, whatever — somebody somewhere is probably not going to like it too well," she said. "I just really try hard to do what I do and try to be nice to people and make great music and if people think they can look up to that, that's wonderful. If not, that's OK too."

FarahAnd this morning, a lashing from World Net Daily's Joseph Farah:

Carrie Underwood suggests God did not set rules. Yes, He did. The Ten Commandments are not suggestions. They represent the difference between life and death.

She says, “It’s not up to me to judge anybody.” This has become something of a mantra in the apostate church. But it is a misunderstanding of what Jesus meant when He said, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” The context of that sermon makes it clear that Jesus meant to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Others are not to be judged unfairly. He didn’t mean we aren’t supposed to confront people with their sin so they could be brought to repentance, because He Himself commanded us to do just that.

God did warn us not to profane His holy name.

I don’t think that just means misusing His name as a curse word. I think we do that when we represent ourselves as followers of God but betray His Word.

That’s blasphemy – and there’s just too much of it coming from people claiming to be Christians.

GLAAD last week launched a 'Support Carrie' campaign. "Show your support by tweeting to Carrie (@carrieunderwood) using #supportcarrie."

Comments

1. Ugh, and I was just beginning to have a little faith in faith after seeing all of the churches participating in Boston's parade...

In one derpy-Farah-poof, it's gone.

I think I know why gay folks like their dystopian novels/movies - we're living in one. The "good" people are bad, the "bad" people make things better, the "smart" people know nothing and the sheeple just ignore what doesn't directly apply to them.

Posted by: kpo5 | Jun 20, 2012 12:40:14 PM

2. If "The Ten Commandments are not suggestions" what exactly are they? Only two and a half of them are even laws (murder/steal/bear false witness) - what are the rest considered?

Posted by: Craig | Jun 20, 2012 12:48:36 PM

3. That is one scary moustache!

Posted by: kirkyo | Jun 20, 2012 1:02:52 PM

4. Since I don't twitter I "liked" her on Facebook. Any way I can show support.

Posted by: Craig | Jun 20, 2012 1:07:17 PM

5. Stand your ground, Carrie. We've got your back.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 20, 2012 1:09:10 PM

6. @ ALAN

BS

world net daily bills itself as a news source which also takes seriously magic jesus descending from the clouds any day now and that armegedon is a serious topic

Daily kos is a combo of news aggregator and blog that with any blog has some nuts posting nuty diaries

HUGE DIFFERENCE/ false equivalence on your part

Posted by: say what | Jun 20, 2012 1:11:32 PM

7. "Yes, He did. The Ten Commandments are not suggestions. They represent the difference between life and death."

Which commandment says ANYTHING about marriage? I'm not a bible scholar but I know the ten commandments are all about murder, thievery and not worshiping false idols.

Posted by: Jmac | Jun 20, 2012 1:15:29 PM

8. Joseph Farah also needs to remember the bible says "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Our job as Christians is not to confront people with their sins but to glorify Christ by telling people how we believe. If we start confronting people with their sins, we better be prepared when they confront us right back. Mr. Farah might want to speak of only what he knows about lest he appear boastful and prideful because anyone who says we are supposed to point out others sins, obviously feels he is without sin!

Posted by: amarige55 | Jun 20, 2012 1:29:02 PM

9. You're not supposed to divorce according to the bible....

Posted by: CGD | Jun 20, 2012 3:13:10 PM

10. So... What about the rest of us that reject the religions? You take gods out of the argument (a big thing to ask of a government, evidently. Or maybe just that one God, the others don't make much appearance in the US gov't weirdly enough...) and the arguments die away.

Posted by: Wdeanis | Jun 20, 2012 4:49:52 PM

11. Dan Savage makes the best point. Why is it they zero in on this one thing? If you are to accept the bible as fact then you have to accept all of it. With mouth full of shrimp and unwed daughters giving birhh they scream about gay marriage being a sin, that homosexuality is a sin. Start stoning unwed mothers to death first and I will believe your coniviction.

Posted by: Glen | Jun 20, 2012 5:07:53 PM

12. I met Carrie with my boyfriend at a music festival in Austin years ago. My boyfriend worked for the promotion company and we were in a room with her, her assitant and makeup artist for nearly an hour. During that hour she asked about her relationship, how we met, thought it was all so romantic, was so charming, so kind and kept complimenting what a "adorable couple" we were. From that one interaction with her, not only do I KNOW first hand she's genuine about being a supporter of all love, an ally for gays, and non judgmental but I can say she was truly one of the kindest spirits I met in the industry....ever (along with Dolly Paron, and Sarah Mclachlan)

Carrie Underwood does not deserve this. PLEASE show your support for her any way you can (and that includes any gay celebrities or gay organizations reading this. Reach out to her and express how much her sincere support means)

Posted by: IonMusic | Jun 20, 2012 7:02:00 PM

13. I meant she asked about OUR relationship, not hers.

What a gracious, kind young women she was.

Posted by: IonMusic | Jun 20, 2012 7:04:39 PM

14. Carrie you are a good woman. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 21, 2012 2:06:49 AM

15. Alan

Anti Communism, right wing Christianity, pro capitalist(Krupp, Hugo Boss), mass murder of homosexuals etc.

So thats where the Right gets their ides(from Adolf Hitler).

BTW: Love your brain dead argument which would make North Korea "democratic" etc.

Guess what Mussolini's party was called: The Fascist REPUBLICAN party?

See the flaw in your logic now?

Learn history dumbass.

Posted by: Reco | Jun 23, 2012 1:04:49 PM

16. I love Carrie Underwood ! She puts on an amazing show!!

Posted by: Carrie Underwood | Aug 23, 2012 9:42:41 AM

17. I so prayed that Carrie would have stuck to her original Christian beliefs. But now she has just prostituted herself for the sake of fame. I really never thought she would.

Posted by: ashlee_hamilton@hotmail.com | Nov 22, 2012 1:49:47 AM