Gay Marriage | News

Gay Marriage 'A Cappella' Proposal of the Day: VIDEO

Dearabbeys

Alright, I know I proclaimed the last video my "must-watch" video of the day, but I think I have to revise that because here's another one.

KyleTowleroad reader Kyle Piers sent this in to me this morning.

He writes:

On April 28th 2012 I proposed to my boyfriend, Tommy, in front of 700 people at his former college a cappella group's spring concert that marked the 20th anniversary of the group (The Boston University Dear Abbeys), as well as the release of their new CD which my boyfriend had spent the last two years recording and producing as the group's then music director. I conspired with the group to call me up on stage so that I could propose in front of almost all the people dearest to us. You see, the Dear Abbeys are more than a college singing group, they're a family, they're OUR family, and I knew it was crucial that they be a part of the plan. The overwhelming amount of love and support we received that night, from friends, strangers, male, female, young, old, gay, straight, was just incredible to experience. That night, it didn't matter what beliefs people held, everyone there could see that love is love and that it knows no bounds.

We're hoping that the love we experienced from everyone could be shared with others - to offer hope to those struggling with their sexual identities or feeling isolated and scared, to educate those who may not agree with gay marriage, to promote equality and erase hate. Additionally, we will be getting married on October 12th 2013 in honor of Matthew Shepard's life and the legacy the Shepards have created with the Foundation's work in the world. If our story could help even one burdened soul, we'd feel accomplished.

Watch (and get out your Kleenex), AFTER THE JUMP...

Dearabbeys2

Comments

1. Could someone please tell me how that isn't love in its purest form? Please. Really, all of your "god fearing" people out there, tell me how that is not pure love.

I wish Kyle & Tommy all the best!

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 12, 2012 2:24:31 PM

2. I have to say it :

"Oh brave new world that has such creatures in it ."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 12, 2012 2:26:45 PM

3. this is great and nearly gave me a tear in the office ... congrats to them.

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 12, 2012 3:21:29 PM

4. One of the sweetest things I've ever seen!!!! Best wishes to the happy couple!

Posted by: sparks | Jun 12, 2012 4:21:22 PM

5. Amazing! Hope someday, I get to do this.

Posted by: Charles | Jun 12, 2012 5:27:41 PM

6. This is the kind of thing Mitt Romney wants to do away and this was his state. Why does Mitt hate happiness

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 12, 2012 6:17:49 PM

7. This BU is not the homophobically-led, unwelcoming BU that I went to in the 1980s. It apparently has gotten vastly better there.

One thing that adds even more poignancy to me here is that probably some of the supportive, serenading singers are straight. Cool.

Posted by: ex-comm ave | Jun 12, 2012 7:17:35 PM

8. Thank you everyone for your beautiful comments. In response to ex-comm ave - almost all of the guys in the group singing to us on stage are straight - it's a WHOLE lot of bromance happening up there and is why we love them so much!

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 13, 2012 12:04:20 AM

9. Some people find it hard to describe what love really is. This video says it all. Congratulations!

Posted by: k | Jun 13, 2012 2:25:32 AM

10. Here's wishing them the same warm love my fiance and I share. I directed a similar group years ago and we were all gay or bi, but closeted. What a huge freakin' emotional mess because we all felt so deeply about each other and couldn't show it. We had uneasy relationships with women who liked the music but we really yearned for one another. Nice to see that it has gotten better. You want it, go get it. (And they don't hurt women with their ambivalence.)

Posted by: Rob | Jun 13, 2012 6:51:40 AM

11. Awwww. That is the sweetest thing I've seen in forever. Congrats to the happy couple!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jun 13, 2012 10:08:30 AM

12. May those two men enjoy 1,000x1,000 years of happiness together.

Love really is a sweet and wonderful thing.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 13, 2012 12:43:28 PM

13. AWESOME !!!

Posted by: bill | Jun 13, 2012 12:56:40 PM

14. AWESOME !!!

Posted by: bill | Jun 13, 2012 12:56:46 PM

15. I hope it is not too late to weigh in on this. It is a lovely and moving video.

I'd like to ask Kyle to share some more background on the Dear Abbeys. As someone commented, they really do seem like some kind of real-life version of the Warblers. What % of the group is gay and what % straight? Are they all the straight guys completely cool with gay people or has there been some homophobia? Do any of the gay students even remember the former BU President John Silber, who was virulently and loudly anti-gay?

Posted by: Ben | Jun 14, 2012 10:09:45 AM

16. @Ben

At any given time there have been usually 1-3 gay members (out of 15) of the Dear Abbeys at least in the last 5 years that I've been close with the group. As I say in the video, they're a family, and there has never been any homophobia in the time I've known the guys - just plenty of bromances. Check out their website (www.dearabbeys.com) or their youtube videos of their performances - they're exceptionally talented, and their love for music and each other makes them extremely unique. Their new album, Proclamation, is absolutely stellar (and Tommy solo's 1/4 of the songs).

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 14, 2012 1:46:19 PM

17. Thank you so much Kyle. I did check out the website and I watched some other DA performances on YT. Tommy's voice is stunning. I especially liked his and the group's cover of Lost.

Since 50,000 people have now watched this beautiful proposal, I hope you'll check in from time to time and let us know how life is going. For now, I'll wish you both my greatest wishes for a long and happy life together!

Posted by: Ben | Jun 15, 2012 1:23:04 PM

18. Lovely, makes me want to fall in love again.

Posted by: Caloy | Jun 15, 2012 1:55:08 PM

19. People should just let guys love who they want to. And stop the hate. Sweet and beautiful proposal.

Posted by: Pinoy | Jun 15, 2012 1:58:05 PM