News | Television

'Entertainment Weekly' On 'The New Art Of Coming Out'

EntertainmentWComingOut
From the New York Observer to Entertainment Weekly, it seems mainstream media is taking a new look at the changing ways people "come out."

As EW argues, coming out is no longer such a big deal. The "news" about someone's sexuality, in their example Jim Parsons, is so "matter-of-fact" and common place that it fails to raise an eyebrow.

More from that cover article's teaser:

Even if it’s accomplished in a subordinate clause or a passing reference, coming out casually is, in its way, as activist as DeGeneres’ Time cover, although few of these actors would probably choose to label themselves as such.

The current vibe for discussing one’s sexuality is almost defiantly mellow: This is part of who I am, I don’t consider it a big deal or a crisis, and if you do, that’s not my problem. It may sound like a shrug, but it shouldn’t be mistaken for indifference.

By daring anyone to overreact, the newest generation of gay public figures is making a clear statement that there is a “new normal” — and it consists of being plainspoken, clear, and truthful about who you are.

And it's only been 43 years since the Stonewall Rebellion.

Comments

1. Caliban

To be as idealistic as you. When conservatives have declared war on us, which they entirely have, then every single gay person is by virtue of Conservatives culture war made an activist. We didn't choose to be activists. They, the bigots, chose that path for us. All of us. When they go and compare our existence to that of a pedophile, and argue in favor of all but killing us, you as a self respecting person have a duty- yes duty, to stand up and speak up against that prejudice.

Posted by: Convexietysupplord | Jun 22, 2012 2:52:52 AM

2. I feel sorry for anyone who wakes up each morning saying "how can I go out of my way to NOT be myself today"
    To live a life of self censorship because of your fear that you'll be caught being who you naturally were meant to be is truly my idea of just misery. I'm not angry at people who *choose* to remain closeted, I feel sorry for them. Each day their life passes and they still haven't been born yet.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jun 22, 2012 2:56:08 AM

3. His Guy sure ain't his own man! What arrogance to make a list of people you think should come out just to help you feel less insecure/unconscously ashamed, about your own identity! The more comments I read on Towleroad the more it seems to me that American gay men do themselves more damage by their bitter, picky, paranoid self-righteousness than the homophobia they rant about.

Posted by: Sqqueak | Jun 22, 2012 3:19:27 AM

4. If you're closeted, you're basically living in complete shame. Free yourself. You want to live your whole being for the bigotry of others? How sorry and sad for you.

Posted by: Aaron Price | Jun 22, 2012 3:45:33 AM

5. Where as some gays blame heterosexual lawmakers for our injustices, I blame 99% of homophobia on closeted gays. For me, closet cases are promoting homophobia at a far greater level than any politician.

Posted by: Sherbert | Jun 22, 2012 3:47:36 AM

6. The coming out story of the year for me was Omar Sharif Jr. Unlike all the other celebrities following some cliche'd trend, he did it in a place with serious repercussions; threatening his own security and well being. Now that's a role model; someone who voices their beliefs to a room full of fanatics yielding dogma and weapons to inspire and encourage a generation that has no other examples, let alone role models, to normalize their feelings and sense of self. Easily my hero of the year.

Posted by: Jackson | Jun 22, 2012 3:49:46 AM

7. Sherbert-

That is a VERY poignant, well thought out remark. Most people around closeted individuals know they are gay. They are usually not fooling anyone by denying it. So for the heterosexual who observes that, they wonder "even gays are ashamed of who they are. Why should we be embracing of it?" so it absolutely breeds a sense of homophobia. Point well made and something I hadn't thought about earlier.

Posted by: CJ | Jun 22, 2012 3:51:49 AM

8. @SHERBERT
    I agree 100%! Closet gays are the ones that bring shame to the community. Not to mention, they are often the most homophobic people you'll ever meet.

Posted by: Dynex | Jun 22, 2012 3:53:51 AM

9. Jackson,

What a brilliant example. Of course, I feel anyone who is in the limelight who is out and shows life can be happy and succesful even as a member of LGBT is doing their part. Opressed islamic environment or not. One gay child can see that and use them as a source of inspiration and it could be just the courage and motivation they need to pull through their teen years and overcome. Those who are out, and honest with who they are, are helping do just that.

Posted by: Dynex | Jun 22, 2012 3:58:36 AM

10. Is it really much easier now for celebrities to come out of the closet when EW has to struggle to fill the cover with eight photos and most of them are very minor celebrities? And what about movie stars and professional athletes? Progress has been glacial.

Posted by: anon | Jun 22, 2012 11:29:15 AM

11. I thank all the men and women who make the conscious and brave decision to live openly, authentically, and publicly-identify as Gay.

each generation of adults has a responsibility to open the doors for the next incoming generations.

to the men and women who opened the doors for me, thank you. i am profoundly grateful.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 22, 2012 1:34:33 PM

12. Now shut up.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 22, 2012 1:45:27 PM

13. Fragile is right. You'd be amazed at how fragile some of our nude photo population is.

Posted by: Todd | Jun 22, 2012 8:23:29 PM