Colorado | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Son of Colorado Lawmaker Who Voted Against Civil Unions is Outed by Campaign Manager

Colorado GOP Rep. Marsha Looper's campaign manager forwarded an email to supporters praising her decision to vote down civil unions. The email revealed that she has a gay son, the Denver Post reports:

LooperIt's no secret at the state Capitol that Looper is one of at least four House Republicans with a gay child, but an unwritten courtesy has been to let the lawmaker be the one to publicly reveal that information.

Looper said she has been asked by some voters about her son's sexuality and has answered honestly, but never meant for it to become so public.

"I'm very, very disappointed," Looper said, of the e-mail making its way among El Paso County voters. "These are are very intimate issues. I love my son. I always will. He has said, 'Mom, I want my privacy.'"

Openly gay House Minority Leader Mark Ferrandino, the sponsor of the civil unions bill, asked the Post: "I wonder if her son appreciates being used in this way."

Added Looper in a statement to the paper: "I am disappointed that my campaign manager forwarded an e-mail that would include any member of my family in policy discussions."

Comments

1. Caliban - that would actually force them to reconsider their actions and inactions.

when you continue to "respect and support" people that don't respect and dont' support you then you give them no reason to change.

as long as gay conservatives refuse to call out the bigotry within "their own" circles, their own circle will not change their bigoted ways.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 11, 2012 11:41:11 AM

2. @LittlePeePee "some angry right-wing homosexual coming on to insist that not all republicans are anti-gay...."

Honey, projecting your own hatred onto others isn't very attractive. It makes you look ugly.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 11, 2012 11:49:52 AM

3. Expose the truth and the truth will set you free. All anti-gay people have something to hide that needs to be exposed so they can be set free. You will be doing them a favor if you expose them and set them free so we all can know the truth about these anti-gay people.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 11, 2012 12:10:32 PM

4. Alan, I'm sorry that your family is just like this woman. It must be awful to see liberals and blacks promoting LGBT Equality while your own white republican family won't.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 11, 2012 12:14:12 PM

5. How old is the son? If he's over 18 I can't imagine this being her prerogative. He's got to come out on his own.

Posted by: anon | Jun 11, 2012 12:44:53 PM

6. She represents El Paso County where Focus on the Family is based. Clearly she voted to keep her job as a state representative which appears to be more important than the rights of her own family. Her son be damned, I mean that literally.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 11, 2012 1:30:22 PM

7. oh I am sorry to hear that Mrs. Looper.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | Jun 11, 2012 1:38:48 PM

8. Until the kids of these homophobes gut-up and tell their parents to f**k off until they can show them respect, people like Looper and Coran aren't going to change.

That's one of the things I find so disgusting about about the GOP's ongoing attempts to enshrine a past that in many ways never really existed, a 'Leave It To Beaver' small town/suburban dream that ignores the seething resentment that was just under the surface of that movie-set facade. The whole idea is that society *should* progess, not be pinned into place like a dead butterfly.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 11, 2012 2:20:26 PM

9. BE A MOTHER FIRST THEN THINK ABOUT YOUR OWN SELFISH LIFE

Posted by: joe | Jun 11, 2012 2:43:40 PM

10. Her gay son's name is Travis Looper. I wonder how he feels about his mother betraying him?

Posted by: Andy | Jun 11, 2012 3:00:04 PM

11. Dear Son, you don't deserve any rights, but I want to keep your sexuality a "secret" so I don't look like a disgusting monster. Gross. And the hairy balls to come out and say how disappointed you are with your campaign manager? What about you being an even bigger one for failing your child. You're a failure, and that shouldn't be hidden, it should be right out there in the open. if you're son was straight, you'd be parading him around like Sarah Palin did her brood. Shithead.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 11, 2012 3:31:33 PM

12. OMG! It's so SHAMEFUL that he's gay. I can't imagine how it must feel to have people find out!

Posted by: jimstoic | Jun 11, 2012 3:34:48 PM

13. You can send her a lovely email on Facebook. I asked her how she thinks her son feels about her not voting for the crappy civil union law. And I told her she would regret her vote some day.

Posted by: jht | Jun 11, 2012 7:29:01 PM